Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
All 3 are/were oddball shows that required people to know the back story to "get it". Some theories:
  • Pushing Daisies: too fast-paced, wide ranging, and irreverent for dunces, so it had to go. I'll miss Olive and Chuck. What a great pair... on both. ;)
  • Dirty Sexy Money: In a time of global economic angst, watching a program about the foibles of the obscenely rich becomes unpalatable. It had to go.
  • Eli Stone: Nice guys finish last. End of story.
What's the point of watching major networks anymore if they're unwilling to support programs that are oddball and give them time to build? (rhetorical)

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Dammit. We watch both Pusing Daisies and Eli Stone.

Granted Eli Stone has been slow to get going this season but it was still pretty good.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I gave up on pushing daises a few weeks ago, glad to see ABC is following suit. I really thought it was off to a great start in the first season but second season really couldn't keep up.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Pressure from Writers Guild over "scab" shows?

This is purely just speculation on my part, but since all 3 of those shows were brought in during the Writers' Guild strike maybe they are considered "scab" shows by the Writers, so there was pressure on management to get rid of them?

We watched all 3 at our house.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
This is the main reason I stopped watching Network Television a few years ago (when they cancelled The Nine and the one about that guy who lives the same day over and over again.).

I hate to invest my time in a show and have them yank it from under my feet.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Not at all scab shows stampeder. Those shows were written by Guild members before the strike and production continued with scripts that were written before the strike. Solely a ratings driven issue .... nothing more or less.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think Pushing Daisies or Dirty Sexy Money were "scab shows" since they premiered during the regular fall period prior to the Writers' strike.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Daybreak. I really enjoyed both of those shows too, especially Daybreak. Very stylish and had a movie-like feel.
Definitely agreed about Daybreak. Apparently, when word came down during filming that the network was cancelling it, the studio said to continue production. (It was originally planned to be a self-contained 13-episode arc.) DVD set eventually came out: anamorphic with 5.1, and a lot of commentaries and other extras. Voted with my $$ to show the network just what my views were on this cancellation.

/ashtonp

·
Registered
243 Posts
Pushing Daisies dropped the ball this year. I loved it last year and finally deleted my last 3 recordings of it due to disinterest.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I have to agree with Arc Angel. Pushing Daisies was extremely interesting and compelling in its first season. The second season, not so much. Sending Olive -- a character I love -- to a nunnery (Hamlet would love that!) might have made sense for the character, but she interacted in such interesting ways with the other Pie Hole people, and to lose that was to lose too much. The nunnery stuff wasn't even that interesting, and the revelation about Chuck's family wasn't that shocking.

I find it funny to be typing this underneath a Google ad for T-shirts that have sayings on them: "I [heart] Ned", "Team Olive", and "Save Pushing Daisies"! I agree!

I hope the show is saved, and that the shows steers back on course, which it seems to be doing.

cheers,
supervij

·
Registered
241 Posts
They seem to be fleshing out Emerson Cod's character now, which is great to see because there is potential for a great deal of humour there. If Chuck's aunts get shifted way to the background I'd be okay with that. Nice to see Olive back in her little green dress again! ;)

Here's hoping they get a reprieve from the network. If not, I hope they can land somewhere else on a network or else a specialty channel with a Canadian contract.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts