Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 120 of 767 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
is Global DTV available in Edmonton?? Even if it broadcasts in Edmonton I'm not sure whether I can receive it or not because I don't have an antenna.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
is Global DTV available in Edmonton?? Even if it broadcasts in Edmonton I'm not sure whether I can receive it or not because I don't have an antenna.
Ya, you will probably have difficulties receiving it without an antenna. ;) Sorry I couldn't resist.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Global Edmonton HD

Once again... saw the Global Edmonton HD bug. The HD programming looks great. I'm looking at it coming uncompressed from Master Control in Calgary - so it should look great! Stay tuned - in the testing phases! Good things are coming :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Once again... saw the Global Edmonton HD bug. The HD programming looks great. I'm looking at it coming uncompressed from Master Control in Calgary - so it should look great! Stay tuned - in the testing phases! Good things are coming :)
Does the bug look like Global BC one?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
CITV-DT Global Edmonton Almost DTV Ready

Great news for Edmontonians:

Global Edmonton (CITV-DT) is ready to go Digital on channel 47 any day now but they are waiting for their new antenna to arrive and be installed by a contractor. The Global Master Control centre in Calgary is already configured and ready to get started with DTV programming from the CITV-DT site in Edmonton as soon as the antenna is up and configured.

Here is the entry in the Industry Canada database showing its location atop the Global studios (thus its relatively low antenna height) and its 5.9kw ERP:

Code:
AB Edmonton AU 47 CITV-DT INDE 532924 1132951 22.5 5900 668.00
I'll forward any info I get as the date gets closer.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Downtown Edmonton

Im in Downtown Edmonton. My HDTV has a built in ATSC tuner so do I just need to get one of those under $50 cheapy antenna's from The Source? I'm pretty sure there still aren't any stations in Edmonton broadcasting in HD yet, is this correct? Just to confirm to get DD 5.1 in the future I just run a toslink connection from my TV to my AVR(my tv has an optical output)? Thanks!

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
When CITV-DT comes up in Edmonton very soon it will be the first DTV station there. Global broadcasts in 1080i/DD5.1 so yes, your optical connection will enable Surround Sound. :)

See these links for answers to your questions:

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Im in Downtown Edmonton. My HDTV has a built in ATSC tuner so do I just need to get one of those under $50 cheapy antenna's from The Source?
It is too early to recommend what type of antenna you will need. In general though I recommend staying away from any amplified indoor antenna as they tend to cause more problems than they fix. This is one case where cheaper is often better. For outdoor antennas, amplifiers can be useful however.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Has anyone here actually seen a picture yet on ch 47 (Global Edmonton).

I have been checking several times a day and nothing yet..........hopfully I can pick up the signal at my location (north east downtown).

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Global Edmonton DTV On Air OTA

snap01 said:
Global Edmonton HD is now testing on channel 47 OTA.
Thanks, that's great news! :)

Global Edmonton will be in a test phase for awhile. See a few posts back for more details I received this past week.

Here is the Industry Canada database info for CITV showing that while they are transitionally on 47.1 from atop their studios they will eventually be on VHF-HI Channel 13 after the transition, replacing their original analogue broadcasts from their original tower with DTV:
Code:
AB   Edmonton [COLOR=#3300ff][B]AU[/B][/COLOR] 47  CITV-[COLOR=#ff0000][B]DT[/B][/COLOR]   INDE  532924 1132951 22.5 5900 668.00    
AB   Edmonton [COLOR=#8c8c8c]AL[/COLOR] 13  CITV-[COLOR=#ff9999][B]PT[/B][/COLOR]   532306 1131252 268.2 14000 210.00    
AB   Edmonton [COLOR=#009900][B]OP[/B][/COLOR] 13  CITV-TV   INDE  532306 1131252 268.2 325000 210.00
If you are new to OTA and/or to the OTA Forum, be sure to read these links: ------------------------------->

·
Registered
18 Posts
SE Edmonton (near 34 St. & Whitemud)

I'm getting a lock on the signal, but it's around 15-20% on channel 47. No audio or video.

However I am trying with an unpowered set of rabbit ears on my WinTV-HVR 950. I'm gonna try tomorrow with a powered antenna set.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Put Your Location in Your Post's Title

That's a good point, recycleman02.

Everyone please name your neighbourhood and/or nearest major street corner in your post title when you're reporting your results the first time.

Post Title Examples:
  • Edmonton: Bonnie Doon
  • St. Albert: Erin Ridge
  • NE Edmonton: 153 Ave & 66 St
cheers

·
Registered
140 Posts
I live in clairview area. Victoria trail and 153 ave area. Rabbit ears connected to my samsung tv. Still can't get anything on 47. Pic is good on 13 but that's not the hd one. Where can I get a decent attenna for under 100$. Don't want to spend too much. I hope they expand there signal once testing is done. Anyone know how long testing takes?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Edmonton: Twin Brooks (SW-ish)

OK, so this is nice to see. I have been watching Global Edmonton HD on ClearQAM on Shaw (one of the 2 channels that are freely available) but seeing it finally on industry standard ATSC is nice.

These are literally pictures of the screen, hence the skew.

I'm using my crazy Pinnacle PCTV HD USB tuner, and the tiny little dipole antenna that it comes bundled with.
Previously I was only able to try out its ATSC functions in Vancouver, so yay!
If their DT transmitter is on the STL tower next to their studios then theoretically I would be able to just take my laptop and the tuner stick and bring it to the neighbouring Arby's and watch perfect DTV, right? And it would be advantageous for the people living in the nearby Pleasantview community.

Full Size image

101 - 120 of 767 Posts