Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

761 - 767 of 767 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi. I noticed your unanswered post here...

1. Check out TVFOOL.COM , plot your address and it will show you where the towers are for Edmonton. You actually have CTV/CFRN directly south of Sherwood Park, VERY close.

Here is the Grey-Hoverman I built for use here in Spruce Grove: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/album.php?albumid=2426[/URL] mounted in the garage attic and connected to the houses coax distribution cabling.

I get CBC, City and OMNI crsytal clear [all in the UHF band]; I'm going to build a whisker antenna specifically cut for CTV's [upper VHF] frequency, as a. it's VHF and b. it's a tad more to the SE for me that the rest of the channels.

cheers, Ole.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Most desired channel would be CTV, but I'd be happy to just have CBC or Global as alternatives.
CKEM CityTV, real channel 17
CBXT CBC 42
CFRN CTV 12
CKES YesTV 30
CITV Global (GTN) 13
CJEO Omni 44
I'm having difficulty differentiating which antenna is right for me and what the differences are, don't want to learn by purchasing and failing anymore!
Yes, of course, but with an indoor or attic antenna the signal loss is difficult to predict and you will have many reflections of the original signal. This means that you might need to do some experimentation.

It is the real channel number that determines what antenna is needed.

VHF-Low, real channels 2-6
VHF-High, real channels 7-13
UHF, real channels 14-51

The virtual channel number (like 5.1) is a holdover from the analog TV days to maintain the identity of the station, and is what the TV displays.
unfortunately the only way for me to mount an antenna at higher elevation would be to go into the attic - I'm open to doing this if necessary. Would the RCA ANT-751 be a good choice for this?
I think the RCA is worth a try in the attic. It has some useful gain on VHF-High and UHF. CFRN CTV 12 and CITV Global (GTN) 13 are on VHF-High and CBXT CBC 42 is on UHF. Try the 751 aimed at about 105 degrees magnetic in different locations in the attic as a temporary setup. Don't drill any holes yet. If it doesn't work in the attic because the signal loss is severe, you can try a medium gain preamp. If you still can't get it to work in the attic, the 751 should be suitable for outside unless there are a lot of trees or buildings in the signal path.

An alternative for the attic is just a VHF-High antenna for 12 and 13 like the MCM 30-2475 or 2476.
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/STELLAR-LABS-30-2475-/30-2475
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/STELLAR-LABS-30-2476-/30-2476
should I dish out more cash on something like the Clearstream 2V which I have also read many good reviews on?
The C2V is a very good antenna, but I'm not convinced it is the best antenna for you. It has a little more UHF gain for CBC, but the "V" dipole for the C2V doesn't have much gain for VHF-High.

If I knew that the signal loss in the attic was high, I would suggest an MCM 30-2475 or 2476 for 12 and 13 and a 4-bay UHF antenna like the DB4e for CBC, with the two antennas combined with a UVSJ UHF/VHF combiner.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OTA antenna choice/setup help -Strathcona county

Hi all, scanned through the newbie FAQs, big learning curve here, so be patient with all my questions.

I'm living in Strathcona county, approx 11miles straight east of Fort Sask and would like to set up an antenna to grab some of those OTA signals!

Here is my TV Fool report report

Was thinking I'd put the antenna in the attic, I realize that may not be ideal. There is an older antenna already up there from previous owners, I snapped a dark pic of it, if anyone thinks that this could be used to grab a few channels I'd certainly be up to try it out!

Any recommendations on an antenna at all? Was also toying with the idea of making my own, still researching that, but any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks in advance everyone :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking for an antenna recommendation. I'm in an apartment condo on the 1st floor of a wood building. I've tried 3 different antennas (listed below) and I just can't get CITV and CFRN to tune in properly. I know about VHF-Hi and all, just can't seem to get it to tune in with the dipole I bought.

Here's my tvfool report: TV Fool

Recommendations?

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Vidfreaky

Thank you for the signal report. I am repeating your report link because we are on a new page:
http://tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d903820b381f26f

Indoor reception can be difficult, especially for VHF.
I've tried 3 different antennas (listed below)
What antennas have you tried; I don't see them listed. Perhaps you posted an active link, which might not work with less than 5 posts.

I have an indoor antenna on the ground floor with trees and buildings in the signal path, for UHF and VHF, but the VHF section is only a folded dipole. I had to move it around to find the best spot for channel 13, and use a preamp.

My report is very similar:

This is the antenna i use:

It is in a corner in the bedroom, but the best spot was, of course, in the middle of the room in a high traffic path.

761 - 767 of 767 Posts