Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1401 - 1405 of 1405 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
I will have to try to figure out how to add a picture of the antenna to send. Doesn’t seem like any of the above buttons work.
There are 2 ways to show a photo. You can use an image host like imgur and link to the photo or you can create a photo album on this forum (User CP or Your Profile):
How to create a photo album for use on the Digital Forum
https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/52-digital-forum-help-information/92167-how-create-photo-album-use-digital-forum.html

Pictures can be no larger than 600 pixels width x 800 pixels height and 100k in size.
Channel 7 is the only one that got weaker.
It is possible that the transmitted channel 7 signal got weaker. It is also possible all your signals got a little weaker because of deterioration of the antenna, but you only noticed it because 7 is your weakest.

Does your TV have a signal strength indicator to make comparisons?

·
Registered
6 Posts
According to the signal strength on my tv channel 7&13 are about equal with 75-77 %. I can’t get channel 2 right now because to get the strongest signal for channel 7 I have to turn the antenna so 2 won’t come in any more. When I was getting 2 the signal strength was almost half of others. My neighbor is starting to have trouble with 2 also. I think the station got weaker. Do you think an amp will help or do I have to get a new antenna? I have never had any problem with 13&2 before or now if I turn the antenna just a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts

Thank you for the photo of your antenna. I enlarged it to see the antenna better, but the file size of the original image is very small, only about 10 KB, so there isn't much detail.

It is the real channel number
(also called physical channel or RF channel) that determines what antenna is needed.

VHF-Low, real channels 2-6
VHF-High, real channels 7-13
UHF, real channels 14-51 (soon to be 14-36)

The virtual channel number (like 5.1 or 5-1) is a holdover from the analog TV days to maintain the identity of the station, and is what the TV displays. By convention, the virtual channel number is given in the decimal form to keep it from being confused with the real channel number.
According to the signal strength on my tv channel 7&13 are about equal with 75-77 %.
It looks like your antenna was designed for VHF-High, real channels 7-13. That would explain the good signal strength for 7 and 13, but I don't understand why the reception quality of 7 is poor. One possibility is electrical noise interference which is higher on VHF than UHF.
When I was getting 2 the signal strength was almost half of others. My neighbor is starting to have trouble with 2 also.
CKAL, virtual channel 2.1, is on real channel 46. Real channel 46 is a UHF channel, so you really need an antenna that will receive CKAL better than your present antenna.
I can’t get channel 2 right now because to get the strongest signal for channel 7 I have to turn the antenna so 2 won’t come in any more.
Channels 2.1 and 7.1 are both listed in the same direction on your signal report, but you are trying to receive CKAL on UHF real channel 46 with an antenna designed for VHF-High channels. Its pickup for UHF channels probably isn't off the front as would expect.
I think the station got weaker. Do you think an amp will help or do I have to get a new antenna?
Possibly, yes.

CKAL-1 Lethbridge will be moving to real channel 29 during Repack Phase 10, 05/02/2020 to 07/03/2020.
https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=CKAL-1#station

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf11282.html
Table A1, Page 2 for Lethbridge AB

·
Registered
6 Posts
It looks like I will have to try a new antenna. I can’t seem to get the link to work for me for the antenna chart. It sounds like I need high VHF and UHF. Any suggestions? I am having trouble understanding all this. Too old to be techy.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
It looks like I will have to try a new antenna. I can’t seem to get the link to work for me for the antenna chart. It sounds like I need high VHF and UHF. Any suggestions? I am having trouble understanding all this. Too old to be techy.
I have been doing antenna experiments since I was 8; I'm 86 now and still learning. I don't understand everything I read either.:smile

You should be able to download the antenna chart from this post by stampeder:
post #9 of 28
Version 9.1 Ready For Download
https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/81-over-air-ota-digital-television/97121-ota-antenna-chart-tableau-des-meilleures-antennes-ota-17-05-2014-a.html#post2132994

I could make a copy for you, but stampeder wouldn't like that; the chart is copyright 2014.

You are correct, you will need a combo antenna for VHF-High and UHF, or separate VHF-High and UHF antennas.

The chart is now 6 years old, so some of the recommended antennas are no longer available, like Antennacraft which folded when Radio Shack folded.

The Winegard HD7694P combo probably doesn't have quite enough gain for your location. The HD7698P does, but it is bigger. If you get one of those antennas, you should know that it is important to unfold the VHF-High elements in the correct order for proper performance. The most recent instructions are wrong. I have been helping other users with that problem on the AVS Forum which is a sister forum to this forum; I can also help you.

As a second choice, consider the Channel Master Digital Advantage 60 CM-2018 or Digital Advantage 100 CM-2020, but they don't have as much gain as the Winegard HD7698P.

The least expensive option would be to add a UHF antenna to your present antenna, and combine them with a UVSJ UHF/VHF combiner.
https://store.antennasdirect.com/UHF-VHF-Antenna-Combiners.html

1401 - 1405 of 1405 Posts