Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1381 - 1400 of 1411 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for all the information. I had another question.

rabbit73 said:
You will need a rotator.
I would like to avoid the rotator, if possible. If I purchase another antenna to point to the west, could I use an Antenna Direct DB4e. I would like to get channel 46 more constantly than I use to get it.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
If I purchase another antenna to point to the west, could I use an Antenna Direct DB4e.
That has a good chance of working, but it would also need a preamp.

Combining the two UHF antennas with a splitter in reverse before the preamp might not work. If it doesn't, you would need a second preamp for the DB4e and two coax lines. After the power inserters down below you can use an A/B switch to select which antenna to use. If your TV isn't able to add a channel after scan, you will need to rescan after changing antennas.

An alternate solution would be to connect the main antenna to the antenna input of the TV, and connect the DB4e to a separate tuner with its output connected to the TV aux input.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pre-Amp Failing

After a year of working great with the new Antenna Direct DB8e and the Blonder-Tongue Galaxy III pre-amp, the pre-amp is failing. I have took apart the pre-amp and identified that the solder on the coaxial output was cracked. I have re-soldered the connection multiple times and have got it working again, only to have it fail again in 3-5 days. I guess my soldering skills have faded with age.

Anyways I am looking for a little advise on what to replace it with. Looks like the Blonder-Tongue Galaxy III has a gain of 20db with a noise figure of 3.3db in the UHF band. Looks like the Channel Master 7778HD might be closes in spec to the old one, and also give me the option using the VHF antenna to get the channels to the west if I ever need to again. Also was looking at the Antenna Direct Juice as it close to the same specs. Plus the Channel Master 7778 with a little lower gain, and the Channel Master 7777 with a lot higher gain.

TV Fool report
TV Fool

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lost Global OTA in Calgary

I have an antennae installed in my attic which has been grabbing the OTA broadcasts in Calgary without any issues for a few years. Within the the few months Global has disappeared. All other stations are fine. I even tried another antennae. I've tried scanning for channels using multiple apps.

Is anyone aware of any changes relative to Global's tower or signal? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello there everyone. I am learning a lot from reading all the great information on this site. I have recently decided to cut the cord and get rid of cable, just couldn't justify the cost anymore. We are relying on Netflix for our tv entertainment, and I recently got an OTA antenna to pick up local Calgary stations. I really enjoy the picture quality, seems to be clearer than I had with cable, but I seem to be getting a lot of fluctuations in signal strength. I have had signals go from 100% down to nothing then back up again sometimes causing breakups in picture. Is this normal or am I getting some sort of interference? My antenna is currently in the attic so could that be an issue? I've tried two different spots but interference continues. I'm hoping some one would have advice as to what is happening. Tv fool says signals are strong in Strathmore.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think you would do much better with an outside antenna.
There much easier to aim for the sweet spot.
Global would be the furthest away from you so I would aim for that for the highest signal strength
and tweek from there.
You want a balance of signal strength for all the channels you plan to watch.
If you don’t have a balance of signal strength you will get drop outs.
Interference could be an issue ,take note when you get a signal drop if there is any electric device that just turned on around your house.
I once had a neighbour with an old microwave oven that would interfere with my Satellite signal.
The seal was gone on it and it was leaking microwaves, it took a bit of convincing them that it was bad for there health.
Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes I have a Channel Master CM 4221 HSD and after years of HD great reception, I am no longer able to get Global Calgary 2&7 is there something that has changed?
Any one can fill me in on the going on's I'd appreciate it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi postman56. Nothing has changed. I am picking up Global no problem in Strathmore at 100% signal strength. Is your antenna outside? Maybe it's out of adjustment from wind.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am looking for an antenna to use in Cochrane Alberta. Using TV Fool the antenna needs to be pointing towards the 3 towers in Calgary. They are maximum 15 miles away and the spread between them is only 9 degrees. The signal NM(dB) is pretty low for two of the channels where CFCN-DT is 14.2 and 9.5 for CKCS-DT. Both are 2Edge. Signal Pwr (dBm) is -76.6 and -81.3 respectively. TV Fool points to a roof top antenna which is okay, but being in an estate area any antenna should be relatively innocuous looking but obviously needs to provide an adequate signal. I thought of using a roof mounted ClearStream 2MAX or 4MAX. Does anyone have experience with these, or should I be looking at something different for this application. I am not that experienced with OTA although I do run an attic db4e (in Calgary) successfully.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Hello, KarenK. A generic signal report for Cochrane shows much stronger signals, so there must be some terrain obstructions in the signal path. This report is for the intersection of Bow Valley Trail and Centre Ave:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d9038c8a4cb2073

Can you give us the URL for your TVFool report? Your exact location will not show in the report.

The TVFool reports are coming up slowly, because that site isn't functioning as well as it did. They haven't even renewed their certificate. We are now using reports from rabbitears.info more frequently, but a TVFool report is still a good start. I use coordinates for a rabbitears report. You can put Lat and Long in the left box, or split them.
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php
This is a rabbitears.info report for the same generic location:
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=55723
The signals are listed according to dBuV/m in the above; it can also show dBm units to compare with a TVFool report:
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&sort=field&unit=m&study_id=55723&opkey=C
Signal Margin is similar to Noise Margin.

Without any additional information from you, my guess is that you will need the extra gain of the 4MAX. There is a reflector available for the 4MAX to give you additional gain. Without the reflector, the 4MAX is bi-directional, with a forward gain about equal to the DB4e, which is a favorite antenna for me.

If you add the accessory reflector kit to the 4MAX, it reduces the VHF dipole gain, but I don't see any VHF channels on your report.

You might consider the discontinued CS 4V which has a reflector and is less expensive.

If your 2Edge location is as poor as I suspect it is, you will probably need a preamp. The next step up would be a high gain UHF Yagi antenna like the Antennas Direct 91XG or the Solid Signal HDB91X.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Thank you for the signal reports, Karen. In this case, the TVFool report and the rabbitears report are similar, which is not usually true. This is an image from your report:

This is the terrain profile for KCAL. You can show a terrain profile by clicking on its Transmitter Distance in your rabbitears report. The signal just grazes the surface of the hill you are behind:

It's a little worse for CBRT:

The last two channels are even more difficult:

A signal report is only a computer simulation, but if you don't have any trees or buildings in the signal path my advice stays the same as above: a medium gain UHF antenna and preamp. You must be prepared to do some experiments.

Three of your channels will be changing in the future because of Repack:
https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=9503900#station

https://www.rabbitears.info/repackchannels.php?country=US&city=&state=&mktid=429&owner=&sort=&ph=&lss=&status=

When those three channels are changing to a new antenna for their new channel, there will be times when their signal will be weaker or even off the air. You will need to rescan to pick up their new channel, unless your TV can add a channel after scan.

These two documents might help you:
Digital Television (DTV) Allotment Plan
AB is listed first
https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf11281.html

Digital Television (DTV) Transition Schedule
https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf11282.html

Phase 10 (CKAL) is 05/02/2020 to 07/007/03/2020
Phase 12 is 2/26/2021 to 04/09/2021

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi rabbit73

Wow. Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I definitely learned some new things (yay!) . I've never heard of the "Repack" so it's definitely saved me from frustration when the channels get moved. Super! I haven't looked at preamp's before since my location in Calgary is LOS and only 3-4 miles from all three transmitters, but given the interference shown for Cochrane it's a great idea. Definitely some experimentation coming!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Channel 7 global problems

Hello all. I am new here and have a lot to learn. I am having trouble with channel 7 global lethbridge. I have replaced my coax cable with RG6, increased the height of my antenna and still the problem persists.The problem started about a year ago and within the last 2 months has gotten real bad. picture freezes and sound cuts out. My antenna picks up the other 2 channels out of lethbridge just fine with less signal than channel 7 according to my TVs signal strength. Any ideas anyone.
Fisher

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
I am having trouble with channel 7 global lethbridge. I have replaced my coax cable with RG6, increased the height of my antenna and still the problem persists.The problem started about a year ago and within the last 2 months has gotten real bad. picture freezes and sound cuts out. My antenna picks up the other 2 channels out of lethbridge just fine with less signal than channel 7 according to my TVs signal strength.
Hello, Fisher.

The TVFool website doesn't seem to be able to make signal reports now; that site is having problems. They have a very small staff and haven't even renewed their certificate. Here is a generic report from rabbitears.info for Lethbridge at postal code T1J 2R5, which may or may not represent the signals at your location:
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=69208

If you tell me your postal code, I can do a report for you.

What antenna are you using and where is it located?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Rabbit73
Here is my signal report from rabbit ears. https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=69304
My antenna is old and I don't know the make. It is about 15 feet above my roof peak. I cant get any higher. this problem just started happening recently. The last year somewhat and the last 2 months it has been real bad. I am at my wits end. Only get 3 channels and 1 of them is now unwatchable. I appreciate any help you can give me or advise. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Hi Rabbit73
Here is my signal report from rabbit ears. https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=69304
My antenna is old and I don't know the make. It is about 15 feet above my roof peak. I cant get any higher. this problem just started happening recently. The last year somewhat and the last 2 months it has been real bad. I am at my wits end. Only get 3 channels and 1 of them is now unwatchable. I appreciate any help you can give me or advise. Thanks in advance.
Thank you for the signal report. That puts you SSW of Lethbridge.

My Firefox browser will not let me do (or look at) a TVFool signal report, but my Edge browser will:
TV Fool

Channel 7 Global is a lot weaker in your actual report than in the generic report that I did.

Is channel 7 the only channel that got weaker, or did your other 2 channels also get weaker? I'm trying to figure out if it is a problem with your equipment or a problem with the channel 7 transmitter.

Trees growing up in the signal path can also interfere with the signal.

Can you show us a picture of your antenna?

Are you using a preamp?

You are on the fringe of coverage for 7:

Channel 7 is using a very directional antenna, so only about 25% of their power is sent in your direction:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello and thanks for your response. Channel 7 is the only one that got weaker. I have nothing like trees or buildings in my path unless they are miles away. No pre amp here. Never had the need before for one. I will have to try to figure out how to add a picture of the antenna to send. Doesn’t seem like any of the above buttons work.

1381 - 1400 of 1411 Posts