Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1361 - 1380 of 1411 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
poutanen, thanks so much for your offer and advice. Do you mind if I ask what spare antennas do you have?

You confirmed what I read somewhere else. That is the best way to hook up the OTA antenna is through separate runs of coax because diplexers will cause some signal loss. My new cable will be 20 meters longer than my sat cable as it will go through my basement because I don't want another hole on my living room wall. It may still have far less signal loss than the diplexers, right?

·
Registered
228 Posts
No problem! I've got a few 4 bay bowtie "clone" antennas. Some have reported better results with a true CM4221, but I've had good luck with these. Used to use them in Grimsby to pickup lots of channels.

From what I've read, the best signal you'll get is with no amps (pre or distribution), no splitters, joiners, diplexers, etc., and the shortest run of good RG6 you can use. You'll also find big differences in tuners.

Best thing for testing would be to run a cable out a bedroom window to the roof, then use a TV in that bedroom to aim the antenna and check what your reception is like. If you pickup the channels you want that way, then move on to running your wire down to the basement then back up to the tuners you want. If there's a loss of signal strength then you can add a pre-amp or distribution amp along the path.

I like pre-amps because they are installed very close to the antenna, while distribution amps are usually installed in the basement after a lengthy cable run. If there's any signal loss/interference before the distribution amp, it gets amplified along with the signal.

Hope this helps, I'd try the basics first and see what you can pick up before worrying about distribution, long cable runs, splitting, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great advice. This is really logical and helpful.

I have no problem with "clone" antennas as long as they are as effective as "generic" drugs :grin It's no surprise to find out that all big retailers here in Canada sell these antennas. Actually, I could hardly find any "original" antennas at these retailers.

I have to figure out where to put up my antenna outdoors if I need one larger than a 2-bay bowtie. Rooftop installation seems beyond my reach. I got a new concrete tile roof, and I'm not comfortable about the idea to get on the roof and mount the antenna on my chimney. Maybe I can get an extension mast to put on my dish mast and then mount the antenna on it. But I'm not sure if the dish mast will have too much load (weight & wind) on its wall bracket.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
6star said:
I have no problem with "clone" antennas as long as they are as effective as "generic" drugs
You presumably came here for good advice, and it is here by the ton, yet you accept bad advice. The point about clone antennas is that they typically cost the same or more than the recommended antennas while almost always being worse, as our objective, scientific, real world testing has shown again and again.

But hey, it's your money, so do what you like, but I will never recommend antennas that are not on the Antenna Chart. You can discuss clone antennas in the following threads:

OTA Clone, Coat Hanger, and Junk Antennas

Wacky, Tacky OTA Gear (What NOT To Buy!)

Back to the original thread topic now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I report back here. I tried a 4-bay bowtie antenna near windows in my second floor bedroom. It picks up nothing when facing transmission towers. I don't have line of sight to any of these three towers. However, it picks CBC up when aimed at Beacon Hill where N.W. Costco is. This is almost 90 degrees apart from the CBC tower. The antenna seems to have picked up the CBC signal bounced back from the hill because it has LOS to the hill. The picture quality is even better than my sat though my Samsung HDTV does not show strength of signal. The antenna seems to be pretty sensitive if it can pick up the bounce back signal, especially when used indoors. On the other hand, it picks up nothing when mounted beside my sat dish on the same J-mast, which is mounted on exterior wall between first and second floor.

I can try the antenna in my attic. But wiring is definitely a headache even if the antenna works there.

What else should I try? Any advice?

·
Registered
228 Posts
You can try aiming it in all different directions. Having a tuner with a signal strength meter helps. Otherwise without having LOS on the transmitters you might be SOL. Only way to get LOS is to go up, I think you'd need a massive mast.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I tried all "possible" directions in the bedroom. When mounted on the dish mast, I can only aim the antenna at the CTV and CBC transmitters because it is too close to the wall to turn much more. The OTA tuner of my Bell 9242 sat receiver has a signal strength meter. It does not show anything as the tuner does not get any stations. TVFool.com indicates that I can't have LOS on the transmitters until I raise the antenna to 150 ft :)

Can a more directional antenna like Yagi ones help in my situation of 2Edge paths?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Receive Montana TV station from Calgary?

This is just for a hobby

The stations transmitter ( K27JW-D ) sits on 7000 feet elevation on a Montana mountain with an effective Effective radiated power of 5200 watts

if i get a large directional type antenna on a 50 foot mast would be able to pick up the station? or does the earth curve too much or i am a crazy?

thank you kindly

please no flaming, trolling, smart ass insults :)

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Welcome, jewish_dave
if i get a large directional type antenna on a 50 foot mast would be able to pick up the station?
No, not even with a 500 foot tower
TV Fool
does the earth curve too much?
Yes

or i am a crazy?
No, you are not crazy, you just have high hopes.

The only way to watch CBS at your location is via the internet or by satellite.

Reactions: Jase88

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Everyone, I've searched this forum front to back and found little on reception of Calgary channels from areas like Okotoks. I'm new to OTA DTV, so please be patient ;)

I'm wondering if it is possible to pull in Calgary DTV channels from the extreme SE end of Okotoks. TVFool puts me at 31 db for CBC and squarely in the yellow (almost green) for CBC. Two questions:

1) Given my location, will any antenna reliably get CBC, CTV, Global. If so, which one would be the best option.

2) My plan is to mount the antenna in the attic - I am obstructed by other houses, but my roof is no lower than the surrounding houses. Is this even possible, or will I be forced to mounting the antenna on the roof?

Given the cost of commercial antennas, I thought I would ask before I ran out an bought a 4V or 4228. I'm planning on building a Gray-Hoverman antenna to see if could get these channels, but I wondering if even this is a wasted effort.

Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Hello, whitefish:

I don't see a link for your report, but here is a report centered on the intersection of 7/2A and 32 St E near the Home Depot:

TV Fool

I think it would be worth the trouble to build a G-H antenna with reflector and try it in different locations. You should also try a preamp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, whitefish:

I don't see a link for your report, but here is a report centered on the intersection of 7/2A and 32 St E near the Home Depot:

TV Fool

I think it would be worth the trouble to build a G-H antenna with reflector and try it in different locations. You should also try a preamp.
Ok thanks rabbit73, I'll give it a shot. I did manage to figure out how to post my TVFool results and they are nearly identical to the one you provided.

TV Fool

Another quick question. I have a TV with a built in atsc tuner. If I want to tune CBC Calgary, do I go to channel 9.1 or 21 (the TVFool channel list is incorrect, see below) ?

Digital Over the air (OTA) Channel Guide for Calgary

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
the TVFool channel list is incorrect
Yes, it is incorrect; they have a shortage of people to keep the database up to date. We hope that the reports are still good enough to tell us if reception is possible; when tvfool is down, there is no good substitute report.

RabbitEars.Info

Another quick question. I have a TV with a built in atsc tuner. If I want to tune CBC Calgary, do I go to channel 9.1 or 21
First you go into the channel menu and scan for channels on antenna NOT cable. That will pick up all channels that the tuner can receive at that time.

Some tuners are able to add a channel after scan, like a Sony.

With most other tuners you will need to rescan after making a change in your antenna system. With some other brands, like a Samsung, you can try entering the real channel number or the virtual channel number.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/81-over-air-ota-digital-television/41507-atsc-tuners-hdtvs-see-samsung-poll.html

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Yes, it is called DXing. The only time you will be able to receive US stations is when Tropospheric Propagation is active. It makes very weak distant signals much stronger for a short time.

You can monitor tropospheric propagation here to know when it is active:
http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html

The main Tropo thread on this forum is focused on the Great Lakes area:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/129-ota-reception-results/252889-ota-great-lakes-area-dxing-tropo-atypical-reception-2016-a.html

but there is a less active thread for the west coast:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/129-ota-reception-results/155127-ota-west-coast-dxing-tropo-atypical-reception-3.html

·
Super Moderator
4,488 Posts
Dx'ing from Great Falls/ Kalispell/ Spokane is too far away to ever receive in Calgary.

Only OTA for Calgary is:

Calgary 41 2.1 CICT-DT Global
Calgary 29 4.1 CFCN-DT CTV
Calgary 49 5.1 CKAL-DT Citytv
Calgary 21 9.1 CBRT-DT CBC
Calgary 32 32.1 CKCS-DT yes TV
Calgary 38 38.1 CJCO-DT Omni

·
Registered
6 Posts
New Antenna Advice

My 40+ year 20 foot tower with a Channel Master 4251 and a Vhf antenna mounted on it, has fallen down in a severe thunderstorm. The Channel Master 4251 is destroyed and the vhf antenna is still in good shape. I am looking into a new setup. Is something like a Antenna Direct DB8e or Channel Master 4228HD going to work for me? Or maybe something else.

This is my tvfool report http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=e6a4138edad235

I am only interested in picking up the channels to the South East and West. That is what I had before. Will I be able to use my pre-amp with these new antenna's? It's a Blonder-Tongue Galaxy III series with 300 ohm UHF and VHF inputs and a 75 ohm output.

I am hoping to mount the new antenna on the roof and save the expense of a new tower. Is that a possibility? I also couldn't find out any information about the channels coming from Joplin MT and the repack. Hopefully that won't be an issue.

Thanks for an input.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Welcome, Kinenis

Thank you for the signal report which puts you in the Taber area of Alberta.
My 40+ year 20 foot tower with a Channel Master 4251 and a Vhf antenna mounted on it, has fallen down in a severe thunderstorm. The Channel Master 4251 is destroyed
That's a sad story. The 4251 was popular with DXers.

The peak of its gain curve is at the high end of the original UHF band.

Channel Master 4251 Tribute Page

Is something like a Antenna Direct DB8e or Channel Master 4228HD going to work for me?
Repack is forcing channels to be assigned to 14-36, so I think the DB8E would be best for you now. Antennas Direct rescaled it for 14-51 to give it more gain at the low end.

I am only interested in picking up the channels to the South East and West. That is what I had before.
You will need a rotator. Don't try to aim the panels in different directions; you need all the gain you can get. If you only want 13 from the west, then you don't need a rotator.
Will I be able to use my pre-amp with these new antenna's? It's a Blonder-Tongue Galaxy III series with 300 ohm UHF and VHF inputs and a 75 ohm output.
You should be able to use it if you convert the 75ohm output of the DB8E to 300 ohms for the preamp with a balun.
I am hoping to mount the new antenna on the roof and save the expense of a new tower. Is that a possibility?
I think it's worth a try. You didn't enter antenna height for your report. I redid it at 25 feet and the channels from the west look better. If you can put the antennas at 25 feet on a tripod on the roof, your report looks like this:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de6a4a2782a8d53

I also couldn't find out any information about the channels coming from Joplin MT
These are the Joplin channels:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de6a450a712ec18
and the repack. Hopefully that won't be an issue.
They are mostly translators, not main transmitters, so the repack outcome is unknown. If you look at the rabbitears.info list you will not see any channel changes indicated by arrows:
http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=K27JW

Here is a listing for the Norfolk, Virginia area. You will see that WTKR will be moving from channel 40 to channel 16:
http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=WTKR

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
I also couldn't find out any information about the channels coming from Joplin MT and the repack. Hopefully that won't be an issue.
It's starting to be an issue now in other areas.

T-Mobile Activates First 600 MHz LTE Network

T-Mobile Activates First 600 MHz LTE Network | TvTechnology

First network switched on in Cheyenne, Wyo.
August 16, 2017
By Michael Balderston
T-Mobile’s aggressive push to occupy its new spectrum has meant that low-power TV stations are being moved off what was once theirs. However, T-Mobile has worked with the FCC and PBS in helping to provide moving costs for displaced stations and to preserve programming consumers care about.

1361 - 1380 of 1411 Posts