Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 1411 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hidden Valley (North Calgary)

Just getting interested in OTA signals, particularly HDTV, stumbled on this site.

I've read through the antenna decision chart but am still unsure what would be best for me.

I live in Hidden Valley in Calgary on the north side of Nose Hill. I don't have any chance for line of site to broadcast hill or downtown, they call it hidden for a reason.

Would I have any success with a Winegard with a preamp? Do I need to go that heavy duty? I already have a sat dish that the Wingard would mount to on the south side of the house with reasonable view, but the hill is in the way.

I'd like to be up and running in time for the HD signals when they come onstream in Calgary.

Any thoughts?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Hi bongo37, I admire your optimism about Calgary stations going DT. :) Here's hoping its not too long.

Here's an experiment you could try... check out the Build It Yourself antenna thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=25677

and construct yourself a cheap and dirty 4-bay Bowtie Reflector antenna and put it up nice and high if you can, pointed at Signal Hill where the CFCN and CBC towers are.

Tune to Channel 32. If your reception is not too bad on that analogue UHF channel then the digital ones will be excellent when they come up. That would mean that a Channel Master 4221 would be great for your use. If your home grown antenna is too weak that might be a sign that you need an antenna with more ooomph, in which case you'd probably be fine with the CM4228. Because you're in the valley there you'll likely need to have your antenna on the roof.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK, so I made a 4 bay bow tie. Each bow was made from 14" 14 gauge wire with each bow 7" center to center.

Tested it near a window on the second floor near a window. Quite snowy on channel 32. I wanted to mount the antenna on the other side of the wall. Could get it onto the roof, would the extra 10 ft help much?

Does it look like I did it sorta right? Am I likely to need an amp even with the 4228?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In case it would help with the understanding, I got out the topo maps and checked, my house is at about 1150 m, the antennas on broadcast hill are between 1200 and 1260 m roughly 10-11 km away. Roughly 3 km away is the top of the kill that is also around 1250 m. The elevation then dips down into the river valley before climbing back up the hill.

Antenna locations per the link I saw on the site with the details.

Jim

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Yep, your antenna looks fine for testing, and given the hilly surroundings I'd definitely say put it up on the roof. More height is the number one change anyone should try first when testing TV antennas.

TV signals refract downwards with distance from the transmission tower, so I'm guessing things will be alright for you according to the topography you've looked up. At least this way we'll know better before you lay out any $$$. I doubt you'll need a preamp, but that's for the future. A CM4221 is your likely best bet, but we'll see how your home grown antenna does first.

·
Super Moderator
4,478 Posts
from omnitv.ca:
We will be launching these two ground breaking channels in mid September. We have a need for the following positions in either Calgary or Edmonton:

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
OMNI Calgary CJCO 38

Quite a list of positions, but tellingly they're not looking for anyone on the broadcast technology (TX) side - Rogers I'm sure is already staffed in that area.

Here are the Industry Canada database listings for the OMNI station in Calgary, which unfortunately shows that 38 will be in analogue with 29 as its digital assignment:

AB Calgary 29 CJCO-DT 510300 1140504 0.0 0 560.00
AB Calgary 38 CJCO-TV INDE 510337 1141017 206.0 228000 614.00 Z

The latitude/longitude puts their transmitter as being on CFCN's mast up on Signal Hill.

http://www.user.dccnet.com/jonleblanc/Canada_TV_Stations

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
CanWest Global made the claim in a press release awhile back, and it was discussed in the OTA Forum. See Post #52 in this thread.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
j0dest3r said:
once Global goes HD Digital this fall.
I saw the posts about Global's next plans being Edmonton and Calgary, but I haven't seen any dates. What makes you think they will be on air this fall? Have they even applied for a digital transitional licence yet in either of these cities?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Global just reairs stuff of other channels, allthough I suppose the quality of an OTA hdtv channel would be nice...if they wait off long enough.. maybe I get one more superbowl with out simsubbing on shaw :)

·
Super Moderator
4,478 Posts
Omni Alberta 38 testing in Calgary

Test pattern now on Analog UHF 38

CJCO TV 38.

Regular programming/ simsubs of "Multi-Cultural" syndicated programming begins Sept. 15th
Calgary - Shaw Cable 4/TELUS TV Channel 5
Edmonton - Shaw Cable 11/TELUS TV Channel 5

http://www.omniab.ca/
THE PRICE IS RIGHT (S-KREM)
JUDGE JUDY (S-KHQ)
ACCORDING TO JIM (S-KAYU)
KING OF THE HILL (S-KAYU)
THE SIMPSONS (S-KAYU)
MADTV (S-KAYU)

·
Registered
102 Posts
CFCN-DT (CTV HD) Calgary OTA

Application by CTVglobemedia Inc., on behalf of its subsidiary CTV Television Inc., for a licence to operate an English-language transitional digital television programming undertaking associated with its existing television station CFCN-TV Calgary.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Hearings/2008/n2008-10.htm#20

From the cover letter of the request:
CTVgm is greatly interested in the growth of High Definition in Canada. CTV
already has two OTA HD Channels, CTV HD East and CTV HD West originating
from Toronto and Vancouver respectively. From a Specialty perspective, both
TSN and Discovery Channel were the first to launch in HD in their given genres
and each has grown tremendously since.
In the coming months, we expect to submit additional applications for transitional
digital television licences for a number of our other over-the-air services.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
CFCN-DT (CTV HD) Calgary OTA

Thanks Ron for spotting that. For Calgarians reading this the application was just posted today (Aug. 21, 2008) on the CRTC web site.

Woohoo! CFCN-DT had originally been allotted Channel 56 but with the station ownership changes they are asking to use Channel 36. I'm really impressed by the expected maximum ERP of 204kW way up there on Signal Hill - CFCN-DT will be booming in all the way out to Bassano I'll bet!

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
But the altitude drops off in a fairly straight line as you go east with zero disruption from any land masses, giving an unexpectedly lenthy "carry" of the signals. Signal Hill just seems to be that much higher as you go east. We've known that forever in that area. ;) We'll see how it shakes out, and I could be wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Calgary: Lake Chaparral

Hi, this is my first post, but I have been reading as much as I can about OTA the last few days. We are seriously considering getting rid of the satellite and just going non cable. I bought a RCA amplified indoor/outdoor antenna from the Source and we are going to play around with it tonight and see what we get. We have a Sony HD tv that doesn't have the ATSC tuner, so we may have to buy that.
Anyway, we live in the deep south of Calgary...Lake Chaparral, and just wondering if anyone can tell me what channels I can expect to get. I thought this thread talked about reception, but haven't seen any mention yet!
Thanks for any help!!

41 - 60 of 1411 Posts