Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 1411 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alberta OTA HD? (plus some other questions)

Does Alberta have OTA signals? I've been wondering this because in my TV Guide for my town (Lethbridge, just 2 hours south of Calgary), whenever there is a primetime show on (I have Shaw Classic Cable) it says:

i.e. 3 - CTV (7:00 p.m.) - LOST (HDTV)

or

i.e. 9 - GLOBAL (10:00 p.m.) - HEROES (HDTV)

(crude representation, but nonetheless)

Why does it say HDTV? Does that mean it is broadcasted in HDTV OTA(only the local channels have these kind of labels i notice)

If that is the case...

I'm using a small indoor antenna, amplified 32dbi Philips brand. Cheap, just wanted to see if this would work. Well, Lethbridge isn't that big across, I'm pretty sure I'm in range of a signal tower somewhere.

I have an LG 42PC3D Plasma HDTV. My cable output is through a coaxial cable (regular kind) and my antenna (which says, on the box, designed for HDTV broadcasts) is hooked up to the little input (same as the cable one) that says "Antenna IN".

There are about 4 different TV inputs

CATV: Cable TV (this is my regular TV for watching)

TV: Analog Antenna (I get like 6 channels, the two that are past channel 14 are kinda in crappy reception)

DTV: I don't know what this is, I think it's Digital Antenna though...

CADTV: Digital cable, I don't have this anyway.

Which one am I looking for? Do I wait for a show that is broadcasted in HD first, (like Heroes) and then do an EZ Scan for DTV channels? I haven't gotten a channel yet, but it's only been like 2 days since I got it. I tried getting a hockey game on CBC in HD, but I didn't get any DTV channels.

Any help?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
CTV is only broadcasting in HD OTA in Toronto and Vancouver.You should be able to get HD signals from your cable company .Contact them to get an HD cable box and how much extra HD service is.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
pamplemousse, I've moved your post into the thread covering Alberta, so have a look from the first post onwards for more info on your area. Also click on these links to get important info regarding your questions:

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
pamplemousse said:
I tried getting a hockey game on CBC in HD, but I didn't get any DTV channels.
CBC-E is only broadcasting digitally in Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. I would guess that Calgary and Edmonton would be next on their list (assuming all goes well with the CRTC's review), but nothing has been announced yet, so it will probably be a couple years before they will be on the air.

·
Super Moderator
4,478 Posts
CH OTA launches in Calgary (also testing in Edmonton)

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Notices/2007/pb2007-84.htm

It seems that Global will have to delay launch of CHCA in Calgary and Edmonton.

CanWest advises that due to recent uncertainty caused by announced and/or approved ownership transactions, access to the tower originally approved has proven to be problematic. It states that in the meanwhile, it will continue to negotiate diligently and that the request for the temporary operation is for a period not to exceed one year from the date of Decision 2007-168, approving the new transmitter.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
57 said:
It could be many years before you get a significant number of HD channels there.
Just to be clear, by many years, 57 means up to 4. In August 2011 almost all stations in Canada will have to transition to digital broadcasting.

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
at a height of 206 meters
Any idea how they measure that? I know the new tower isn't any where near that tall and I doubt the old one was either. Besides didn't they take the old one down? Is this measured from some where down town?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Industry Canada and the US's FCC measure the elevation as HAAT: Height Above Average Terrain found in the station's broadcast contour.

·
Super Moderator
4,478 Posts
CTS has a test pattern on Channel UHF 32 in Calgary now.
I didn't see E! on UHF 44 last night.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
IC's database shows CTS Channel 32 Calgary to be co-located on CFCN's tower with an ERP of 75kW. Their HAAT is 206, so that puts their emitter at the same point as E!'s.

·
Super Moderator
4,478 Posts
My house is only 8 km NW of CFCN. E! Calgary just was not on the air testing last night I'll look again tonight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Outdoor TV antenna for Calgary?

Please help me to select a good outdoor antenna for viewing 5 main TV stations (Global, CTV, CityTV, CBC, Access) at Calgary SW. All stations are within 20 km between bearing 347 and 31. My existing TVs are analog, will switch to digital after 2011.

I never had cable, had to install a rod type of outdoor antenna for a newer TV in order to view these channels in the basement 7 years ago, it didn't work at all except receiving only CBC signals even with an indoor antenna. Another 30 years older Sony TV still works really well with just the rabbit ear for Global, CTV and CBC channels.

Recently due to cracks and water problem I am searching for a replacement outdoor antenna. Compact design and easy to install models such as Winegard MetroStar-2000 and SquareShooter-2000 are my favor, HD7210P is fine too, they are all suitable for urban use, but it's hard to know for sure without trying.

From an OTA DTV point of view Winegard SS-2000 seems like the choice. Any experience using it on a residencial roof in city? I would really appreciate your knowledge on this matter. Any other models and made may be better? Thanks in advance.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Hi georgejan, welcome here. I saw your post in the Newcomers Forum and added it to this existing thread that covers Calgary. Please read through this thread and also follow the links I'm including in this post to read the OTA Forum Knowledge Base & FAQ and also download the Antenna Chart, which will give you my antenna recommendations.

Which neighbourhood in Calgary do you live in, or which major street corner are you close to?

·
Registered
2 Posts
TV antenna in Calgary

Hi Stampeder:
Thanks for the great help. I'm living in Woodbine area, south west corner of Calgary, the nearest main roads are Anderson and 24 street SW. I saw your antenna chart which also recommends Windgard square shooter, but I have a problem to get one, because either the American dealers don't deal with Canadian customers or won't take it back if it doesn't work. Do you know any place that I can order one with guarantee? Thanks again.
Geo Jan

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
The Winegard Square Shooter will do fine for you in the higher part of your neighbourhood. If you are in the lower part near Fish Creek you might have a bit of trouble but I doubt it. Try searching online for a dealer that will ship one to you.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Global's OTA DTV Plans For Calgary

From Global's web site:
we expect to have an over the air HD transmitter up and running for CHCH Hamilton, Global Ontario and Global BC by the end of April. After they are set up and running, Calgary and Edmonton will follow for an HD transmitter
So, since we know that Global's digital transition work has already begun in Hamilton, Toronto, and Vancouver, folks in Alberta's biggest cities can expect to see Digital OTA come to their cities some time after that.

http://www.canada.com/globaltv/info/faqs.html

Get phoning, faxing, and emailing CBC and CFCN (CTV) to match them!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Any updates as of yet? I just got rid of my BEV, there is just crap on SAT. and the costs keep skyrocketing! They made me give them 30 days notice for cancelling!!! can you belive that? I can't believe they get away with that!!! Going back to basic cable just for hockey news etc. but would really love OTA HD even just one channel! I plan on having an Antenna ready to go for when they turn the thing on... I live in Spruce Grove!

21 - 40 of 1411 Posts