Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased 1 year of nordvpn.

After 10 years of no VPN i decided it was time to try one.

Got the vpn working on my nvidia shield works great for pluto tv , and i have linux mint working for different vpn country connection points with openvpn.

I tried following the setup for openvpn on a asus router with merlin firmware , no luck there it wont connect.

If i had a linux mint box with 2 lan ports, 1 to connect to internet and run the vpn connection, can i forward my vpn connection to the other unused lan port , which would go to another router ?

I have a roku that has no vpn support, would like to use the vpn with it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried the instructions for my router on the nordvpn page , the last step where you have to edit settings step 9.

In the Custom Configuration field, enter this text:
remote-cert-tls server
remote-random
nobind
tun-mtu 1500
tun-mtu-extra 32
mssfix 1450
persist-key
persist-tun
ping-timer-rem
reneg-sec 0

I tried this 2 different ways, first i added any missing text that was missing from my config.

The second time i tried it i copy it exactly as it was posted.

Did not have luck either way.

These instructions are for asus with merlin open source firmware , which i had to follow as i no longer have factory firmware.

Had a bad experience with a linksys router years ago trying to switch from open source firmware back to factory firmware
, it ended up bricking the router , so i will not try that again.

I have a new ASUS RT-AX86 router on order that should arrive this week.

When i set up the new router i will leave it with factory firmware , just running asus firmware update.

The old router will be repurposed as a wireless network bridge for one of my linux computers.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Something was wrong with the vpn config on the router, as i had to force the connection to on.

It connected to the vpn , but no internet traffic would pass.

I reversed the changes i made to the router , will leave this alone until the new router arrives.

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
@atscrocks

A VPN is nothing more than an IP connection between 2 points. You can route traffic through it, as you can with any other IP connection. The question is whether what you're using for a firewall/router is capable of routing to other devices. A Linux box should be able to. I doubt that Asus can.

Here I have a Qotom mini PC, with 4 Ethernet ports, running pfSense. PfSense runs on FreeBSD which, like Linux, has no problem routing all you want. As an experiment, I have routed both IPv4 and IPv6 to a Cisco router, for further routing. I also run OpenVPN on it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The new ASUS RT-AX86 router arrived , installed it and nordvpn runs fine on the router with openvpn .

Was easy to install , the right router makes all the difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts