Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Bytecc BT-300. It is a naked USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA adapter. It allows you to hookup any 2.5", 3.5"or 5.25" IDE or SATA device and power it. It is Windows MAC and LINUX compatible. Very inexpensive and makes for a great trouble-shooting tool. I have some older IDE drives laying around that I need to sterilize and this will allow me without having to crack a PC case or enclosure.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
I have some older external hard drive cases that take IDE drives - doesn't that accomplish the same thing?

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
USB 2 enclosures for IDE drives? Yes. But they are not that common today.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
this will allow me without having to crack a PC case or enclosure.
Being the key point. I use a SATA to eSATA/USB drive dock for SATA drives. It's even handier. 5-1/4" PC case drive docks were once available for IDE drives. Not sure about availability now. AFAIK, Bytecc simply rebrands generic products and resells them (like many house brands.) I see similar devices available for under $10 from overseas sellers.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I have some older external hard drive cases that take IDE drives - doesn't that accomplish the same thing?
No, because they don't have SATA and the two IDE sizes, plus may have the case and a larger PCB to deal with (as my two remaining USB drive cases are).
My first USB drive case had an extruded aluminum case with the USB electronics in the butt end, and when the catches broke (and I got the other cases), became my "Naked" USB IDE adapter. It since has been installed in an old parallel port CD drive case, to make into a USB DVD-RW drive.

I am not sure how the naked adapters would deal with SATA notebook drives.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
AFAIK, the connections are identical for any type of SATA I/II/III drive. It should handle notebook drives and SSD drives.

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lots at Canada Computers
You are correct. But I think having one muilti-function adapter is better than 3 or 4 enclosures though. The BT-300 has 3 different sized connectors. Plus a molex for the supplied PS.

This one also supports IDE (PIO 0), EIDE and ATAPI devices in addition to SATA's 2.5, 3.5 and 5.25 formats.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts