Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s a long story.

I was shopping a cell phone plan for a long time until I found this B store on the eaton centre by end of this January.

Before I signed the contract, I confirmed with the sales person, there are no extra fee, caller ID, voice mail are included, and no system access fee charged.

Since it’s a good plan, I referred a friend of mine signed the same contract at the same store, and he confirmed again, there is no extra charge for caller ID, voice mail or system access fee.

After I received my first bill, I was shocked, it’s totally different with the contract I signed (‘signed contract’), I have to pay caller ID, Voice mail and system access fee with a discount, My friend and I have to go back to the store, then the store manager told us the sales person made a mistake, the rate plan is based on a corporation plan, which is expired already, we have to either cancel the contract and they can wave the cancellation fee or keep the ‘new contract’ they thought which is correct instead of the one I signed.

Of cause, we disagreed the decision, the B made a mistake, they are supposed to cancel the contract and pay us the early cancellation fee, why they want us to cancel the contract and wave the cancellation fee? That sound ridiculous, like A and B signed a contract, and B found he made a mistake, so he said to A, ‘hi, man, cancel the contract, I’ll do you a favor, you don’t need to pay any penalty for the cancellation’, it’s first time I have conflicts with B, Does B always treat his customer like a fool?

We have to file a compliant to B’s executive office, a lady heard my description, very mad about B store did at the very beginning, she said I only need to pay the amount on the ‘signed contract’, I was really happy about the decision, and made a payment on the next day for last two and half months.

The store is not over.

After some days I received a phone call from the lady, she said I have to pay the ‘new contract’ instead of the ‘signed contract’, ‘new contract’ is much more than ‘signed contract’

I filed a compliant to CCTS • CPRST after B and I can’t make a agreement. After four more months, I got a email from a lady worked in CCTS finally, she is response for my case.

I email the contract I signed, she said,

‘When I review the contract I do note caller id listed under Corporate Basic - 36M ($25.00). Message centre is listed under features and services, with other features such as call forwarding rating and 1X data pay per use.’

When I called her, she still thought I have to cancel the contract or keep the ‘new contract’, I’m really surprised.

Because I didn’t get the bill based on the ‘signed contract’, I’m not able pay B, B already stop providing service to my cell phone, when I asked the lady how much should I pay for the unpaid months, she said I should pay based on the ‘correct contract’.

Ha, the stupid CCTS, waste my four months, worked as a agent of B, I back to review the CCTS website,

‘The CRTC, Canada’s telecom regulator, ordered all providers with annual Canadian telecom revenues greater than $10 million to participate in CCTS and to provide its funding. Industry funding is typical for “ombudsman” type organizations like ours, both in Canada and around the world.’

What should I expect? They get funding from wireless provider, how do you expect they do something for you?!

Right now, I totally have no idea what I should do, can any body provide some suggestion?

thanks.

peter

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
What's an A and what's a B?

Sorry but that post is just too long to read. In brief, what is your question?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Of cause, we disagreed the decision, the B made a mistake, they are supposed to cancel the contract and pay us the early cancellation fee, why they want us to cancel the contract and wave the cancellation fee? That sound ridiculous, like A and B signed a contract, and B found he made a mistake, so he said to A, ‘hi, man, cancel the contract, I’ll do you a favor, you don’t need to pay any penalty for the cancellation’, it’s first time I have conflicts with B, Does B always treat his customer like a fool?
Are you saying that you thought that Bell should pay you the early termination fee if you chose the cancellation option? Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. You pay that to Bell if you cancel early but not the other way around.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
To elaborate on grog's point, the "cancellation fee" was technically already loaned to you by giving you the discount on the phone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
B made a mistake, B doesn't want to continue the contract, however, B didn't say he wants to cancel the contract, B wants me to cancel the contract even I don't want to cancel it.

sorry for my poor English, if I disagree with CCTS's decision, any other place I can file a complaint?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's an A and what's a B?

Sorry but that post is just too long to read. In brief, what is your question?
A and B just an example, which is not the 'B' in my post.

I disagree with the decision of CCTS, any other place I can file a complaint?

thanks.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I'm confused on what your real issue is at this point. Are you saying you actually want to be in a contract with a higher rate plan than what you signed for?

Bell (or whichever provider you're with) is admitting to making a mistake, and is even willing to let you cancel the contract without paying a cancellation fee. That is the best thing you could expect, as most carriers would still want you to pay the cancellation fee. The only time a carrier will cancel a contract themselves is due to non-payment (and then they'll send you a final bill + the ETF, and send it to a collections agency if you still don't pay).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm confused on what your real issue is at this point. Are you saying you actually want to be in a contract with a higher rate plan than what you signed for?
I signed a contract with B, I'm supposed to pay $20 + tax for everything, which include caller ID, voice mail, no SAF, B found they made a mistake, so they send me a bill and want to charge me around $40, I disagree with it, B want me either cancel the contract I signed or pay $40, if I canceled the contract, I don't need to pay the cancellation fee.

thank you for reading, sorry for the confusion.

peter

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Then cancel the contract and go with another cell phone company. You have lots to choose from now. I don't understand what the issue is. As long as they don't try to make you pay a cancellation fee, then there should be no problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used the phone about 7 months, I paid 2.5 month (2.5 * 20), B want to me pay the 4.5 month 40 * 4.5 for the others, I just want to pay 20 * 4.5.

peter

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I used the phone about 7 months, I paid 2.5 month (2.5 * 20), B want to me pay the 4.5 month 40 * 4.5 for the others, I just want to pay 20 * 4.5.

peter
Well you could default on this and let this cell phone company ruin your credit rating, or you could just cancel and move on, like I suggested before. Pay them what they want. Not sure if you are allowed to on DHC, but can you post the name of the cell company that you are having problems with?

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Talk to Bell and see if they'll let you cancel the contract now and reduce the outstanding balance. Take the phone you got from Bell, unlock it, and use it with another carrier (assuming it is an HSPA device and not a CDMA device).

·
Registered
815 Posts
If Bell is the one that doesn't like the contract and wants out of it, then you should charge Bell the cancellation fee.

Not likely to happen though.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Since when cell phone companies have access to your credit rating? You provide your SIN number to them?
I tried to transfer my Fido cell phone to a friend of mine a couple of months ago and they refused because he had a bad credit rating. It only took them a couple of minutes to decide this while I waited on the phone. Name and address seemed to be enough information for them to do the check.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
When signing up for service, providers do a credit check. Much like any bill, if you don't pay and it goes to collections it will impact your credit rating.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Since when cell phone companies have access to your credit rating? You provide your SIN number to them?
They do not need your SIN to do a credit check. Haven't you ever bought a cell phone on contract? They all do credit checks, and they tell you up front that they are going to do it, well they all did for me.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Well you could default on this and let this cell phone company ruin your credit rating, or you could just cancel and move on, like I suggested before. Pay them what they want.
That's a weak answer. Fight for what's right. Small claims court will side with a reasonable complainant.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
They do not need your SIN to do a credit check. Haven't you ever bought a cell phone on contract? They all do credit checks, and they tell you up front that they are going to do it, well they all did for me.
Credit check and writing to your credit report are two different things.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts