Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
Certainly a good opportunity to present questions regarding the digital conversion, as well as HD upgrades.

If anyone here on DH attends, please do me a favour and ask about the Wingham transmitter (i.e. whether or not it will be upgraded to digital). I'd really appreciate knowing...

·
Registered
851 Posts
are u sure it isn't pink slip day?
j/k thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Certainly a good opportunity to present questions regarding the digital conversion, as well as HD upgrades.
I went a few years back when they were still "The New PL" and they had a HDTV demonstration saying they would be HD in a few years... I wonder whatever happened to that

·
Registered
5 Posts
I worked at this station for 8 years. Starting when it was The New PL, to well into A-Channel. Truthfully I doubt anyone knowing anything about their satellite signals will be there. If anyone would, it'd be the engineers. Maybe you'll get lucky and Scott or Mark will be there.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I see CBOT (CBC) here in Ottawa is also having an open house on the same day to celebrate Culture Days.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Did anyone else go to the London open house? I just got back. You can tour the whole station and one of the engineers (I think his name was Mike) was out discussing the transition -- nice guy!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got back <:

BOB FM: A 4 room operation, nice folks. Broadcast half way up the tower around 300 feet ERP 5kW. Back up system broadcasts at 100 W. Also when theres a Lightning Storm A tower attracting the Lightning.

Good News,
CFPL will be flashcutting on Aug 31. CTV WILL NOT be using ch 57 to test digital on. But A London might flashcut early.
The ERP will be 14kW. (Which is +4 dB higher then the database.) Also CTV may go with a multi channel setup with the primary channel being 1080i (SD?). <: At the very least multiplexing has been discussed.

Trucks cost 250ooo, transmit @ ERP 5 W (Yes 5 watts) RF around 7 GHz, unecryted. If the truck can see the A tower then it can go live. London has 2 trucks. Windsor has 1. Kitchener has 2. Toronto has infinite amount of trucks ;p

Also Wingham & Wiarton should still remain on the air still using an analog feed.

My questions,
Is 1080i HD or SD? I was thinking that 1080i was HD. But according to the Engineer is it not.

Forced switch to DTV.
There are 4 reasons why a station must go DTV.
Population => 300ooo
Provincal Capital
Competing Locals. BTW Wingham doesnt have to go DTV cause there is no other local channel. Same reason why Sarnia doesnt have to go DTV. As the stations are repeaters.
What is the 4 reason?

Read ya l8r,
Al

·
Registered
570 Posts
I checked out the CBC open house in NL. Sounds like /A\'s was a lot better. I didn't think many people would be interested in the technical details (like I am) and I was right. CBC's tour included a quick interaction with radio host, walk through the news room, then the grand finale downstairs to meet the weather guy. I was hoping to see more technical things like radio master control, etc... The staff were very generous and gave out some freebies and fact sheets. It was nice to see inside the building.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Good News,
CFPL will be flashcutting on Aug 31. CTV WILL NOT be using ch 57 to test digital on. But A London might flashcut early.
The ERP will be 14kW. (Which is +4 dB higher then the database.) Also CTV may go with a multi channel setup with the primary channel being 1080i (SD?). <: At the very least multiplexing has been discussed.
Thanks Emerald_Boar for posting /A\ London's DTV plans. I planned to attend this weekend's open house, but I was unable to go.
It's interesting that /A\ will be broadcasting at 14kW ERP, instead of the 10.1kW that the CRTC's current plan indicates. That should be good news for those further away from the City of London - reception of the channel should be easier.

Hopefully other channels, such as Global's CIII from Paris, Ontario, will boost their ERP from the measly 4kW they have been approved for (and maybe vacate VHF channel 6, and move to a UHF channel).

Is 1080i HD or SD? I was thinking that 1080i was HD. But according to the Engineer is it not.
My understanding is 720p, 1080i, and 1080p are all HD resolutions (but sometimes stations feed 4:3 programs in their HD feed, which leave black bars on the left and right, but it's still HD resolution).

480i is 4:3 (SD), and 480p is SD, but can be an aspect ratio of either 16:9 or 4:3 (which is not HD).

Or, explained another way:

• 1080i/p = full HD
    720p = HD
    480i/p = SD, although 480p can be 16:9 (such as anamorphic DVDs, usually labeled with "enhanced for widescreen TV")

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I checked out the CBC open house in NL. Sounds like /A\'s was a lot better. I didn't think many people would be interested in the technical details (like I am) and I was right. CBC's tour included a quick interaction with radio host, walk through the news room, then the grand finale downstairs to meet the weather guy. I was hoping to see more technical things like radio master control, etc... The staff were very generous and gave out some freebies and fact sheets. It was nice to see inside the building.
AFAIK, the CBC master control for all stations is in Toronto.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts