Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TSN’s exclusive English-language coverage of the 2010 GREY CUP, featuring the Montreal Alouettes taking on the Saskatchewan Roughriders, airs nationally on Sunday, Nov. 28.

The network’s five-hour pre-game show, GREY CUP SUNDAY, airs live from the Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton beginning at 1 p.m. ET.

TSN’s French-language counterpart, RDS, has live coverage of the 2010 GREY CUP in HD beginning at 4:00 p.m. ET.

Kick-off at 6:30pm

While the game is on CTV will be airing: Undercover Boss, Amazing Race and the Movie Wedding Crashers.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The game will also be streamed online at TSN.ca for those who don't have TSN/RDS or can't be near a TV.

TSN's commentators will be Chris Cuthbert and Glen Suitor, with Sara Orlesky and Farhan Lalji on the sidelines. Denis Casavant and Pierre Vercheval will call the game for RDS.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I don't think so. Last year TSN HD a a free preview from the Grey Cup until the end of the World Juniors because they wanted to get more subscribers, especially heading into the Olympics. There hasn't been an announcement about a free preview this year, and I'd be shocked if there was one.

·
Registered
462 Posts
i will be watching the game on tsnhd in Saskatchewan, i know alot of low income people that cant afford cable. now that cbc has no rights they can no longer watch any cfl games. You would think ctv could at least put the grey cup on the ctv network as well. im sure it would get better ratings then the crap they will be airing at the same time. I guess these big company's don't care about poor people. so my friend will most likely be watching the game alone at McDonalds.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
There are lots of games on TSN.ca for those who have internet, but not cable.

The reason it isn't on CTV is because by doing it this way they can maximize ratings on CTV, TSN and TSN2. I think that there should be a set list of sports events that have to air OTA in Canada. The UK and Australia have similar laws. These would be a start

-Grey Cup
-Stanley Cup Finals
-Brier & Scotties finals + World Curling Championship event taking place in Canada final
-World Juniors Final (if the event is in North America or the final is on a weekend)
-World Cup Final
-3rd/4th rounds of The Masters
-Super Bowl

·
Registered
689 Posts
The network’s five-hour pre-game show, GREY CUP SUNDAY, airs live from the Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton beginning at 1 p.m. ET.
I guess that's why Canada will be alone in the world in not getting the Federer v Nadal match live. According to their schedule it will be shown on TSN2 at 4.30pm. According to the BBC and ESPN coverage of the tennis begins on those channels around 12.15 EST. I'm guessing the match itself isn't until 1pm - though finding the actual start time is difficult. I understand that TSN has contractual obligations to show NFL live (TSN2 at 1pm) and obviously the Grey Cup is a big deal. I guess showing the tennis and leaving a mere 3 1/2 hours of pre-game talk isn't good enough. A full 5 1/2 hours is required!

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Grey Cup Sunday will get an average of 500, 000 viewers or more over a five hour period. I doubt the tennis would get much over 100, 000 viewers. They Grey Cup pregame was commited to long before Federer and Nadal made the final at the World Tour Finals.

The match starts at 12:30pm ET (in other words, its already underway).

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Andrew1, hopefully you have access to another network than TSN to watch tennis, but as far as I know I have not heard of a single "World Tennis Tour Finals" party happening anywhere in Canada today. :D I find it difficult to believe that you have a complaint about Grey Cup coverage having priority (if you're not from Canada and/or you do not care for football then that might explain your view to a point). The CFL championship is a national institution, while the tennis finals... not so much. TSN is handling Grey Cup day with all the respect and priority that it deserves, including hours of special programming before and after the game. For them to do less would be a travesty.

No tennis match at any level messes with the Grey Cup festivities on game day, period.

·
Registered
689 Posts
stampeder,

I take your point. I see you are from the West so I understand that the Grey Cup is a big deal where you live. In the part of Ontario where I live the biggest football game tonight is between San Diego and Indianapolis while the second biggest 'football' match today was played earlier between Tottenham and Liverpool. Indeed just a few minutes before reading your post my brother - who has spent most of his life in Canada - expressed surprise when I told him there is a CFL game tonight. (His friends are NFL and EPL. Not too many CFLers in this area).

I'm not from Canada originally, but I did live here for a few years during my childhood years in the 80s as well as university for 4 years in the 90s and for most of the past decade. I don't recall 5 1/2 hour pre-game shows being necessary back in the day but, hey, times change.:rolleyes: I don't begrudge people in the sticks ;) having their day in the sun I just find it so typical of modern day sports media to put talking about sport ahead of, you know, actual live sporting events. (I blame ESPN for starting this trend).

Anyway, I watched the NFL game on TSN2 from 1pm and was delighted they didn't tell me the result of the big tennis match (no laughing!) in advance. Given TSN's record that was an accomplishment of sorts for the network. And the tennis was great. It is a shame you missed it but I'm sure all those hours of pre-game CFL chat were absolutely necessary. :eek:

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I went out to eat for supper today while the tennis was on. There were 4 TVs on. 1 on PHI-CHI, 1 on KC-SEA, 1 on NFL Network and 1 on the Grey Cup pregame. If that doesn't show you that football is king (aside from hockey) in Canada, I don't know what does.

Everywhere outside of Toronto the CFL is a fairly big deal.

I would blame CBS, ABC, NBC and Fox for TSN's 5 hour pregame show. I think CBC used to do a 3 hour pregame. But, yes, I blame ESPN and Sky Sports News for the whole talking about the sports more than watching the sports things too. Both are equally as bad to watch for any long period of time.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
If there was enough of an outcry re: tennis, I am sure TSN would had done something to appease the fan base by either having it streamed on their website, 'selling' (aka giving) the rights to one of the other sports networks or having it air on one of the other CTVgm properties. Instead they chose not to do so...

Meanwhile, if you did want to watch it live you could have called your BDU and sub to RIS. Yes it would be a french feed but at least it would be live.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Andrew1 said:
I take your point. I see you are from the West so I understand that the Grey Cup is a big deal where you live.
Oh dear, in order to understand your odd preoccupation with the natural tendency of a commercial Canadian sports network to devote its maximum resources to the single most important football game of the year in Canada (it being the championship game of a league that has given the network its highest ratings week in and week out) I must meditate for awhile on the notion that perhaps only a tiny portion of Canadians somewhere "out west" actually watch it while the majority are hopping mad that a tennis match is not being shown. My hope is that those tennis lovers would be able to call their mothers for comfort. I distinctly recall that in all my years living across various parts of Canada it was still a very big tradition to have Grey Cup parties and watch the game. If you have information on how this has somehow been corrupted I need to know where the epicentre of such belief can be found so that I might avoid it.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everywhere outside of Toronto the CFL is a fairly big deal.
Apparently not as big as the Amazing Race and the Wedding Crashers Movie

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
The game was okay.....did not have a winning favourite but it appeared that something was wrong with the production. Graphics were lengthy and during the first quarter or so a number of replays did not happen. Still have a problem with the commentators who continually talk as if it was a radio play-by-play.
A lot has changed over the years with the Grey Cup and its stature has diminished considerably.

·
Registered
993 Posts
In the part of Ontario where I live the biggest football game tonight is between San Diego and Indianapolis while the second biggest 'football' match today was played earlier between Tottenham and Liverpool.
What 'part of Ontario' are you talking about? Your home? Even in Toronto the Grey Cup is far more popular than NFL Sunday Night Football and the Toronto audience for the Grey Cup was probably 50 to 100 times bigger than Spurs vs. Liverpool.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Apparently not as big as the Amazing Race and the Wedding Crashers Movie
LOL. So true.

It really shows CTVgm's priorities when they show 1 NFL game a week (including the Super Bowl) on their main network, but relegate all of the CFL games (including the Grey Cup) to their premium sports channel.

Needless to say, I gave up on the CFL when they gave up on me and let CTVgm have its way like this.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I bet you if they were allowed to simsub on TSN, CTV would opt to have the game air on their speciality channel instead of moving around their network shows and having them on /A\

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I never knew that there was a Nadal/Federer tennis match on Sunday. I watch a lot of sports, and I have never heard of the WTF. Sportscenter on TSN @ 11PM PST did not show the highlights of their match. I only follow the 4 Grand Slam tennis tournaments. It obviously is only a big deal for diehard tennis fans.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts