Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
9242 PVR Black Screen

Recorded our usual House episode. When we went to watch it the menu showed that the program had recorded but all we got was a black screen. I went to record another program just to check if it was an issue and all I got was a black screen. Anyone have any ideas or has anyone had similar problems ?

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
remote delay

there seems to be a delay when pressing buttons on remote.This seems to be a new problem as there was never any delayed reaction after a button was pressed.Seems noticeable when fast foward and then press play.Anyone else experience this annoying issue?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
EHD Delay

I have a big delay, 6 seconds, whenever i press the PVR button. It used to be fast and only slow when i went to the EHD, now i have the delay All the time when going to the internal drive. This delay started with v184 and didn't get fixed with v185.
Is there any way around this? Any help would be appreciated. HP SimpleSave 1TB.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I have a big delay, 6 seconds, whenever i press the PVR button. It used to be fast and only slow when i went to the EHD, now i have the delay All the time when going to the internal drive. This delay started with v184 and didn't get fixed with v185.
Is there any way around this? Any help would be appreciated. HP SimpleSave 1TB.
As mentioned in prevous posts in this thread, disconnecting the EHD solves the problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The problem with the delayed remote response seems to be repaired.I own the 9242 and would like to see the firmware upgrades optional because it seems that the upgrades can do harm and if one damaged the pvr I would be out of luck because its not likely that Bell would admit that their firmware caused it.

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
After update, I can no longer access the EHD.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I noticed that a disk check was forced with the update. That might have caused some issues. I had a similar issue with v184. Unplugging the receiver, then the drive. Then plugging in the receiver, waiting for it to boot and then powering up the drive fixed the issue. Rebooting the receiver after any firmware update is pretty much mandatory to avoid glitches.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have had 9242 for just over 1 month - no problems until updated to vsn 185 late last night. System now continually reboots. Any ideas on how to fix?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Have had 9242 for just over 1 month - no problems until updated to vsn 185 late last night. System now continually reboots. Any ideas on how to fix?
I had the same problem when my receiver updated to the v185 software. My receiver was stuck in a reboot cycle that it could not get out of. I unplugged, unhooked the satellite coax cables, and let it sit overnight. Then i plugged everything back in and it still keeped getting stuck in a booting sequence that it could not get out of. After that I called Bell and demanded a tech to come out...when the tech came over, they said that this was the 20+ 9242 receiver that he has replaced in the Windsor/Chatham area in the past week. Now I have a 9241 and I lost my ability to have the off-air tuner and the ability to have PIP and swap between tuners....not happy about this sequence of events at all

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
That's strange. I thought Bell would always replace a 9242 with a 9242. This is the first I heard tell of them swapping it for a 9241.

My receiver went crazy with the v184 update. Bell replaced it with another 9242. I bought mine new at The Source in September, so it was still under warranty. Maybe that was the difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 9242 is an expensive item. How is it any time there is a problem it's immediately replaced or 'you're out of luck" ? (I am - bought mine on Ebay)

Surely there is some technician out there who knows whats inside these things?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
After that I called Bell and demanded a tech to come out... Now I have a 9241 and I lost my ability to have the off-air tuner and the ability to have PIP and swap between tuners....not happy about this sequence of events at all
That is the problem with demanding a tech come out, he will replace it with whatever is in his truck. They usually do whatever is easier, not what's best for the customer.
You should have had them send you a replacement and would have got a 9242.
I don't know how you'd get it exchanged for a 9242 now, but good luck with that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Found Diagnostics shortcuts under 'Bell TV' thread - cleared NVRAM and has worked for the past 2 hours - will update later today if it keeps working(I figure 12 hours is my test limit). BTW - also had to reset the remotes.

Thanks again for this forum!

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I noticed that a disk check was forced with the update. That might have caused some issues. I had a similar issue with v184. Unplugging the receiver, then the drive. Then plugging in the receiver, waiting for it to boot and then powering up the drive fixed the issue.
Tried that but did nothing on my receiver.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
cleared NVRAM and has worked for the past 2 hours
That's usually the second thing I try when a Bell receiver goes wonky. Haven't needed to do it for a couple of years though. The next option is formatting the hard drive. I've never had to send a receiver back to Bell in 8 years. Had lots of problems but, with only one exception, it always came down to data corruption in RAM (reboot), NVRAM (clear) or the hard drive (format.) The one exception was when a hard drive quit. I replaced the drive since it was cheaper than getting a refurb. At one time, clearing NVRAM and formatting the drive was often required after a firmware update. Things are more stable now but it looks like 184/185 is back to the old SNAFU.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Bell sent me replacement 9242 when my original unit went crazy. So far, knock on wood, this machine has worked very well with the new firmware v184 and v185. I consider myself lucky after reading some of these articles. Why would some machines be still having trouble? Is Bell using a variety of different hardware components in each unit?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Now that Bell has activated the Ethernet port on the 9242, and we can access our PVR's via Bell's PVR portal ... has anyone put a sniffer on line to see if there is a port open that we could connect to our PVR's locally ?

41 - 60 of 72 Posts