Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

9242: Firmware update V184 (Jan 19, 2010) Please read post 1 for IR Spray Issue

58K views 265 replies 82 participants last post by  JK5000 
#1 ·
It appears the 9242 has received a new firmware update V184.

I noticed it when the Favourite List now is highlighted.

Any other changes?

Edit by 57. Many people are having problems with the PVR acting erratically - channels changing by itself, turning on/off, info/guide coming up, etc.

This is due to changes in the firmware which causes IR interference from other devices (like LCD TVs) to impact the PVR more than before. Read the following post on the problem carefully and thoroughly. It also outlines the many solutions discussed in this thread. Bell are aware of the issue and are working on a solution, however, in the meantime, if you have an LCD TV, using the proper settings will help with the problem (and provide you with better picture quality too). This is not really a new problem, but it has been exacerbated by the new firmware.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64463

It would be nice if people were to post the other positive or negative changes that came with the new firmware.

See less See more
#2 ·
Was going through the menu.

Found Self Serve (was that before?), Pressed on the ON DEMAND option and it said loading the interactive application. I pressed CANCEL and the whole thing crashed.

I now have a big black screen and a crashed unit.

EDIT: Wow. Pressed power button on 9242 but would not reset. Had to unplug the unit to get it working again.

#4 ·
I pressed CANCEL and the whole thing crashed.

I now have a big black screen and a crashed unit.
I have had that happen lots of times (not everytime) with any and everything interactive. Lottery, weather, etc. Pressing cancel makes it crash. been going on for a couple years.
Is there anyway to dis-able interactive completely?

#3 ·
Was it the "Channels on Demand" button you selected? I was able to load that application without problem on my 9242.

If you look under menu 6-1-4 (connectivity), you will see an option for broadband, which allows for ip callouts for pay per view etc assuming you have it plugged into a router.

#5 ·
dc1977, it was when I pressed Cancel that it crashed. Can't believe you guys at Bell didn't test what would happen if you pressed Cancel while it was loading!

#6 ·
V184

The new software enables the IP connection on the receiver. Customers can now connect a cable from their broadband router to the receiver allowing them to purchase PPV.

Caller ID and Interactive service (iTV) purchases still require a phone line.

The V184 upgrade also will help those 9242 users that had difficulty accessing their external hard drives when they were almost full.

We're slowly rolling out the upgrade to 9242s. All receivers should be upgraded by the end of next week.

I'll keep a closer eye on this thread for a bit to answer any questions you might have about it.

Drewsat

#125 ·
The V184 upgrade also will help those 9242 users that had difficulty accessing their external hard drives when they were almost full.
Thats a HUGE understatement.

I've been moving programs to my PC for a while now using Ubuntu and have 2 1TB harddrives that my receiver formatted as 750 GB drives, leaving me with 150-200 GB of unused space on each. So what I've been doing is overfilling one drive in Ubuntu to make use of this 150-200 GB, then I'd move stuff from one drive to another whenever I needed it. With the new update my overfull drive that would cause a hard reset is now accessible despite being far (maybe 20-30 hours) past the 0hr00min free point.

This Firmware update is the best ever for people who record as much as I do.

#8 ·
6-1-4 (connectivity), you will see an option for broadband, which allows for ip callouts for pay per view etc assuming you have it plugged into a router.
Plugged in an Ethernet Cable and it picked up an IP address. Can't set Receiver Nickname, It says enter nickname but nothing works and you have to cancel out. Why have the option if you can't set it?

Tried the Channels On Demand Application. Seems just like an app to order channels which seems like a waste when you can just call or go online. In addition, the screen is all messed up when it first loads.

I tried the Cancel again when loading and it failed gracefully. I assume they never tested Cancel on the first try suggesting it will fail on the first try and work on subsequent attempts. If so, then its a rookie testing mistake.

#9 ·
In summary, I can't find anything noteworthy in this update.

The Channels on Demand seems like a waste of programming time and effort and driven by senior marketing types. I would prefer to see some work being done on Slingbox or Archos connectivity.

I guess the order PPV without the need for a home phone connection is interesting but if folks don't have a phone line to their receiver, what makes you think they are going to have an ethernet connection at their box.

If it fixes some bugs then presumably that benefits some users so that's positive.

#12 ·
taxtwit, no conspiracy but to answer your question "yes it would" but I doubt Bell is monitoring to ensure that your IP address correlates to your physical address.

Anybody who is pirating or account splitting is not going to be plugging in their receiver to a phone jack or an ethernet port.

#13 ·
Is there anyway to dis-able interactive completely?
I locked out all the interactive channels. It works until they add a new one that needs to be locked out.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks the ethernet connection will also function as a "receiver locator" for Bell
The phone line requirement is actually more effective to determine receiver location and has been around for years. The IP will let Bell know who your ISP is though.

In summary, I can't find anything noteworthy in this update.
That doesn't surprise me at all. For once, I would like to see an update that fixes all the outstanding bugs without adding more crud that creates new bugs or brings back old ones that were fixed on a previous update.

#14 ·
Drewsat, do you think this update does anything to fix the digital audio dropout problem?
Bell CSR's are telling me to use the analog, but i paid over 500 bucks for a digital sat rcvr, advertised to have Dolby 5.1
Dolby should be on somebodys case, cause he's getting a really bad reputation.....

#15 ·
Hugh,

I've tried several times this afternoon to reproduce the crashing you're seeing and can't reproduce it. I'll bring it up to the software team to look into it. They might have better (un)luck. I'm sorry you're receiver's behaving that way.

Taxtwit: I don't think we're part of a large conspiracy to find out where your receiver is but it sounds like an interesting premise for a movie or novel. I would call it "The Net" and have somebody like Sandra Bullock star....Wait a minute....

Tom: Can we chat over PM? I'd like to get more details from you to find out about your set-up so I can help you get this resolved.

#16 ·
Two more changes I forgot to include:

The Recordings list is now under a Multimedia menu found in the Main Menu.

The receivers should support external hard drives up to 1.5TB. The usual requirements still apply: USB 2.0, self-powered, 7200 RPM, no power saving shut-down, etc.

The latter might be welcome news to external hard drive enthusiasts.

#22 ·
I'll be making use of the broadband connection for sure. I haven't had a landline for years. The 1.5TB option is interesting too.

Agree with the other posters that hope this will resolve the audio dropout issue with recorded material. It really is annoying. Happy to PM you my setup info if you want it, Drew.

#23 ·
if folks don't have a phone line to their receiver, what makes you think they are going to have an ethernet connection at their box.
I don't think it would be that unusual. Most if not all of those who have an HTPC plugged in to their HDTV - like me - also have a wall mounted ethernet connection already installed behind the TV.

On the other hand, I don't have any phone jack. When I order PPV, I always have to connect a long telephone cable temporarily from another room.

So for me it is great.

#25 ·
I don't think it would be that unusual. Most if not all of those who have an HTPC plugged in to their HDTV - like me - also have a wall mounted ethernet connection already installed behind the TV.
I don't know where you hang out but how many living rooms do you go into that have an HTPC hooked up to an HDTV?

#26 ·
NOw the the enternet connection is working for something, they can work on getting a lot of cool features.

Here is my wish list:

- I would love to be able to watch tv on my PC via the network. Or even watch files from the PC using the 9242 on the TV.

- Connect to 9242 and change my PRV schedule.

- Be able to edit the saved shows Titles and info via the PC and using a keyboard.

- Or even add apps to the box so that things like MSN messenger or facebook and be done from the TV using the remote. Or even check your e-mail. Things like this added to Bell would let them sell themselves as more then just TV but a full entertainment package.

OOO think of the options...

#28 ·
I had one crash with the new firmware. A hard reset fixed it. One thing that I did notice was when deleting programs from the internal drive some of the deletes were much faster while others were considerably longer. This was with a series of 60 minute shows.

#29 ·
Internet distribution of on demand programs?

I was wondering if the IP connection provided with the upgrade will result in distribution of on demand programs over the internet rather than via satelite? This could free up satelite bandwith.

My Xbox is able to stream Zume video from the internet very well and it is connected wirelessly to my router.

I was wondering why they chose the 9242 to do the upgrade. I thought that this box had been discontinued.

#32 ·
I didn't notice this thread until today, so I don't know whether or not our 9242 has gotten the new firmware. Based on other member's reports of problems with interactive features, I suspect it might have as this morning while trying to access the PVR Recording List, twice it started loading an interactive app. I just hit Guide button to restore.

I do like the fact that it will now accept a 1.5 TB EHD. I had an old PATA enclosure I was going to use but the cost of a 750 GB PATA drives don't make sense. Now that that the 9242 will take the larger EHD drives, I will ditch the idea of using the PATA enclosure and go straight to a 1.5 TB SATA with a new enclosure.
I was wondering if the IP connection provided with the upgrade will result in distribution of on demand programs over the internet rather than via satelite? This could free up satelite bandwith.

My Xbox is able to stream Zume video from the internet very well and it is connected wirelessly to my router.

I was wondering why they chose the 9242 to do the upgrade. I thought that this box had been discontinued.
With regards to freeing up satellite bandwidth vs. internet, it might be good for Bell, but not for the consumer. Why would I want to do this? I pay for my bandwidth, the content I get from Bell via satellite is likely going to be better quality than any internet delivered content, and as a 9242 owner I already can watch the content whenever I want. If I miss the show completely, as suggested there are other ways of getting the content, which likely won't have forced commercials (which is also a possibility as Bell has to pay for the bandwidth on their end).

As for the 9242 getting the update, I suspect there will be software updates rolling out for the 9241 shortly as well. Just because the 9242 is discontinued doesn't mean that owners are going to ditch them - IMHO there isn't a better stb for DTH right now in Canada.

cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.