Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
161 - 180 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
That sounds like it could be an HDMI handshaking issue or 9242 playback issue. I would unplug the 9242 and the TV for a minute or two to reset them. I would also reset any intermediary devices like AV receivers or HDMI switches and make sure the HDMI cables are firmly seated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Big Dawg: where did you hear the end of march?
Hugh: thank you that was the most informative and consistent bit of information I've received yet!

So the new firmware does not adhere to SIRCS codes?? because the TV's backlight is clearly the event that triggers the problem. There are absolutely no settings on my TV which help. I am in shock that v184 is still being rolled out.

I am getting rather annoyed and I will be calling their customer retention department very soon if I do not hear an official statement from Bell with some hard facts and a resolution.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
You could be right. It's more likely a 9242 playback issue. In theory, HDMI can pass non-protected content without HDCP handshaking but block protected content. I don't know how the 9242 works in such a situation so it's just speculative. In any event, I would unplug/reset the 9242 and proceed from there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please Help!!!!!!

Hello, I have a 9242 receiver as well and over the past week or so its been acting crazy ie: the channel guide will pop up on the screen or the channel info screen will keep being displayed as if my TV is possessed!!! When I called Bell support he told me a new software update has affected the 9242 receiver and told me a fix would be to disable the "OMC" on my TV?????? I have a Sharp LCD....he said I'd have to call sharp to get them to help me do it. Any idea what is an "OMC"???

·
Registered
94 Posts
The only fault I can find in the whole thing is that the "hours remaining" is not accurate. Otherwise I'm very happy with the new firmware.
Can you move all your recordings to another drive and use your PVR to reformat youe EHD?

Before, 9242s could only see drives as 750 GB, so 1 TB drives would be formated into ~450GB and a ~500GB partitions, but the PVR saw them as ~250GB and ~500GB. The space was there, but once the EHD had 750GBs of data, the PVR wouldn't let you access the other ~200GBs. This update is letting you access that space now, but until you reformat your EHD, the time remaining will be inaccurate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've turned "off" the light sensor on my Sony XBR LCD TV and my 9242 went crazy, off on off on off on, until I turned the TV off.

I too am experiencing the double clicks.

I called Bell Tech, they are aware of the issue, and it will be fixed soon.

I told them I will give them 48hrs, and then I am canceling my service if it is not fixed.:mad::mad:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I told them I will give them 48hrs, and then I am canceling my service if it is not fixed.:mad::mad:
Statements like that, especially to the techs on the phone do nothing to help you.

What you need to do is call often and express your frustration, but be polite and understanding each time. Then when you call a retention agent and say you're fed up with all the trouble you went through, they have a log that says you called often and were always easy to get along with and that makes them easier to get a deal off of.

Back in 08 when they first introduced the EHD feature, I called 3 times a week, every week until the problems with sudden disconnects was solved, and because I had to call so much and was always easy to deal with, I got 50% off for 6 months, free receiver rentals for 6 months and a PPV credit.

I know it's hard to be understanding and polite, especially when the techs can really do nothing to help you, but there is a bit of a silver lining to all this if you call a retentation agent and can get a deal on your bill because of it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not under Warranty!!

Well my 9242 won't turn on, rather it does by then promptly turns off. Right before that it was doing the skipping ahead, menus etc.....

According to Tech Support on Tuesday Evening, this is known and that an update was being sent out. Call back in 24hrs if it still doesn't work.

So, it doesn't work and I call back. The different guy answers and says that my problems are not caused by the upgrade and that his colleague sitting next to him is who I spoke with previously and she didn't say what I listed above. Well she did.

I asked to be transferred to higher tech support. Was put on hold and the same guy came back on and said they said the 9242 was broken and my symptoms were not known to them. BS BS BS

He then proceeded to say since my receiver was out of warranty there was nothing he could do, especially since it appeared to be a random problem........ Whoa there, interrupted him and said transfer me to cancellations please.

I was transferred, where a nice man listened to my explanation. I firmly said that since they recently updated the firmware and my box started acting up then, and many others as well, then I did not expect to be blown off like I was. If I didn't have a satisfactory solution at the end of our conversation then he could turn all 4 of my receivers off and Shaw would be here in the morning (I know a Shaw Installer).

He looked up my account, long term customer (almost 10yrs) and I pay a lot each month. I am having a replacement receiver sent for free.

What bugs me the most is that first the problem is acknowledged, then not. The second guy did not care and was not interested in going any further.

I had problems with another box, and it took 3 months and multiple calls before a level 2 tech (that cancellations had to transfer me too, as no one else would) said in 3 minutes that it was a faulty card.

I also had another replacement box that wouldn't turn on the second it was taken out of the box, and Tech Support kept asking me to go to the menu and go to the info screen. I spent 15 minutes getting across that it wouldn't turn on.

Now I am ranting. i have been with Bell a long time and have had ups and downs. Todays experience was the worst. Dealing with sub par tech support is one thing but today was a low for customer service until the retentions guy came on.

That is my experience....

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hi Princie1,
Thanks for your PM. I don't have an extra drive to try moving to right now, but it's not a big problem as long as that "out of space" message is there to prevent problems.

I do have one question though. Is there a similar benefit on 750GB drives? My test was run on a 750GB EHD, not 1TB.

To explain:
Tonight I deleted the files that I had used to fill up the 750GB drive. I wanted to see how the time remaining would be affected. It took 16.25 HD hours of deletes before the HD remaining hours changed back from 0 (to 0:43 hrs:mins).The SD remaining hours at this point were 81:27. The SD hours started returning after 6 hours of HD deletes.

After the deletes I have 110 GB free on the 750GB drive (106/197 on partition 3).

My 1TB drive has 180GB free on the third partition for 7.5 HD hours remaining.

Seems like similar numbers for the 2 drives.

AndyK

·
Registered
2 Posts
Happy I found this forum and these posts, thought I was going crazy.

I can now add my 9242 to your list. Started this past Tuesday for me. I'm using a Sony Bravia like others with this problem. For me, the problem manifests itself by the receiver tossing up the info window of what channel I'm on every few minutes or so with frequent self shut offs and power ups. My ambient light detector on the TV was off before and since the update and changing it either way has had no effect. Also taking the backlight down to Minimum has also had no effect.

Hooked the 9242 up to my Samsung SyncMaster T240 monitor but the same problems continued to exist albeit were occurring less frequently.

Have read this entire thread in full and am going to try the "hit play as your last button push" and "put masking tape over your IR receivers" suggestions before going to bed.

My wife is a huge fan of the Olympics and she's none too happy (as I am as well) that this update is no doubt going to adversely effect her viewing enjoyment. I'm not too optimistic about an update being released soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys, I have exactly the same problem since a week and 1/2. I did call Bell 3 times about that. The problem was new for all. As my receiver is rented, they sent me back a replacement one. SAME PROBLEM... My TV is an LCD Sharp Aquos. I did try about anything. Turn lights off, turn Wii off, remove battery in all remotes, turn the wireless router off, remove battery in all phones, turn all breakers off but the TV one. Still same problem. I'll wait tonight when problem will be back and will turn the OPC OFF to see if it solve the problem, but again, this is not related to anything else that the BELL receiver!

I think that forum should open a Thread for the 9242 acting crazy...

Have a good one.

Thierry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Guys;

Doesn't took a long time to make a try out. Personally, I now confirm that the temporary cure for my 9242 receiver acting like crazy since 10 days is turning off the OPC on my LCD TV. OPC that is common on about all LCD TV is a sensor that adjust the intensity of the LCD back lite according to ambiant light level. So by going to the TV MENU, you should be able to locate it, turn it OFF instead of auto and adjust manually the intensity. That is a temporary cure to that crazy thing. That should let you look at the Winter Games without seeing the same replay all the time and will give Bell time to send an update.

Hope that will help you.

Thierry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Statements like that, especially to the techs on the phone do nothing to help you.

What you need to do is call often and express your frustration, but be polite and understanding each time. Then when you call a retention agent and say you're fed up with all the trouble you went through, they have a log that says you called often and were always easy to get along with and that makes them easier to get a deal off of.

Back in 08 when they first introduced the EHD feature, I called 3 times a week, every week until the problems with sudden disconnects was solved, and because I had to call so much and was always easy to deal with, I got 50% off for 6 months, free receiver rentals for 6 months and a PPV credit.

I know it's hard to be understanding and polite, especially when the techs can really do nothing to help you, but there is a bit of a silver lining to all this if you call a retentation agent and can get a deal on your bill because of it.
Great advice,

Note that I was polite with the Tech, and explained that I understand that he did not cause this problem.

By providing an ultimatum I was trying to impress upon them that there are alternatives to their service, and that it is not an unreasonable expectation to have the problem resolved in a timely fashion, especially considering the revenue that I represent for them.

·
Registered
221 Posts
So, I hooked up my replacement 9242 last night and saw that the software was at V183. Now, if you're Bell and you KNOW the V184 caused massive problems, do you not exercise a little bit of common sense and pull the update? Wait, I'll answer that; of course you don't. This morning, the replacement 9242 was at V184 with all problems successfully enabled. So now my wife calls them again this morning and they ask her what kind of cable the receiver is connected with. She tells them HDMI and they proceed to tell her that she should use the component cables instead because the HDMI cable is optical and could be contributing to the issue. The tech also says that we won't be able to watch anything in HD using only the4 component cables, so we got another $20 credit for the HD service we can't use. Oh, and also the fix should be out soon. I wonder how they're going to fix my optical HDMI cable, because I must have the only known specimen of this elusive cable, since I've never heard of one even existing. And all those poor Xbox 360 users with compnent cables that can't carry HD signals; how do you survive?

·
Registered
2 Posts
A cure that worked for me...

So I deduced that what seems to be happening to me is that the receiver is replaying (at random intervals) the last button press on my remote. So if I used the POWER ON button but didn't navigate to another channel, the receiver turns itself off and then on and off again whenever it felt like it. If I selected a channel, the receiver would randomly put the blue info windows at the top of the screen as though I had just selected a new channel.

As a test, I found that pressing the SAT button after any other "action-based" button press (like selecting a channel or powering up), visually fixes the disruption as I'm assuming the receiver is just randomly replaying the SAT button press which carries with it no onscreen or physically noticeable change to the receiver's function. However I do have to hit a different button, say the PLAY button, when powering the unit down as pressing SAT in that situation wouldn't keep the receiver powered off.

I'm running the 9242 over an HDMI to DVI cable to a SONY KDL-W5100 LCD but the same problem was occurring when hooked up to a Samsung T240 HDMI capable monitor.

Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Forget about that HDMI VS COMPONENT cable story. I'm using component wire since day one and problem happen anyway. That customer service really says anything! They are good to type on a keyboard but don't go further... Will wait for a fix but in the meantime, will give often friendly calls to Bell.

Thierry

161 - 180 of 266 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.