Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
121 - 140 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I have the Pioneer 50" plasma and the black levels have definitely improved. The auto screen widening never worked properly because the receiver would produce a dark gray instead of black on dark scenes. Not all 9242s seemed to have this problem, but mine did only when using HDMI. I had to use component to get around this issue. Now since the black levels are fixed, I can use the HDMI cable which gives me an overall better picture.

·
Super Moderator
57,147 Posts
57, I have read the entire thread. If it were a TV issue, it would have been present prior to v184. The fact that my experience is opposite to that of some other people only reinforces my conclusions:
That's some weird logic. The issue is created by some form of IR Spray. It doesn't happen for people who don't have IR Spray in their home theatres. The fact that the issue goes away or comes back with changes in the TV settings leads me to conclude it's your TV - how you come up with a different conclusion is something I don't understand. Since you also have another IR issue as discussed in the following link, you may wish to perform the test I've outlined there - turn off the TV and try the Denon remote.

If it's not the TV, then the IR spray could be from other sources (or additional sources) in your home theatre. The fact that it was not there before the latest firmware simply indicates that the new firmware worsened the "problem" as you say for people with IR spray, however, the IR spray from something is creating the problem. Lots of people with LCDs already had issues with BTV and other STBs before the latest firmware, the latest firmware just made it worse for some people. Now, check out this link:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1051760#post1051760

·
Registered
620 Posts
My 9242 was updated today to v184 and I haven't noticed any changes in the guide, the picture, the system info screen or anything else. No problems but I was hoping they'd fix the audio sync but it's still off a bit.

Oh yeah, if I change the guide list, It no longer returns to the present date and channel, so this is an improvement. It may be they are now sending out a revised version of 184 without the other improvements.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The V184 upgrade also will help those 9242 users that had difficulty accessing their external hard drives when they were almost full.
Thats a HUGE understatement.

I've been moving programs to my PC for a while now using Ubuntu and have 2 1TB harddrives that my receiver formatted as 750 GB drives, leaving me with 150-200 GB of unused space on each. So what I've been doing is overfilling one drive in Ubuntu to make use of this 150-200 GB, then I'd move stuff from one drive to another whenever I needed it. With the new update my overfull drive that would cause a hard reset is now accessible despite being far (maybe 20-30 hours) past the 0hr00min free point.

This Firmware update is the best ever for people who record as much as I do.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Also, when you got close to the 0Hr00Min mark before, your times were inaccurate approximations (ie. 10Hrs01Mins, 9Hr01Mins, 8Hrs01Mins). Since this update, times have been showing more accuratly (ie. 10Hrs25Mins, 9Hrs38Mins, 8Hrs44Mins, etc).

·
Registered
2 Posts
FunkyTown,

I had the same problem with auto-screen widening over HDMI, but haven't tried it with the new firmware. I'll definitely give it a try. It sounds like this firmware definitely has some significant improvements!

·
Registered
221 Posts
ScaryBob, your deduction makes no sense.

The fact that the problem changed when you turned the backlight up reinforces that it is a TV issue. If you read through the LCD link that I previously provided, there is an optimum setting for the TV (in terms of minimum IR spray) and sometimes "too low" also causes problems. Depends on the TV and perhaps other settings.
My TV was off and the receiver turned on and off repeatedly (evidenced by the lights turning on and off repeatedly). If my TV was off, how did it affect the IR receive on the PVR?

There are other sources of IR, you know; houselights, sun, Wii sensor bars, etc. The fact of the matter is, they broke the sensitivity in the PVR, and the only reason some people are not complaining is because of their environment. At my old house, I couldn't control the PVR for 2-3 minutes after turning on the TV. In my new house, no issues at all. Less solid wall for the IR to bounce off of probably. Either way, telling someone it's absolutely their TV is not good troubleshooting.

·
Super Moderator
57,147 Posts
If my TV was off, how did it affect the IR receive on the PVR?
I guess it didn't, but I was talking to ScaryBob, not you. I already indicated, and included the relevant link, that there are several possible sources of IR spray, one of those may be a possibility in your case.

In ScaryBob's case, there is additional evidence of IR Spray in the other thread on the Denon AVR remote issue and the fact that the spray changes with TV settings would indicate to me an issue with the TV in his case.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to defend BTV, or put the blame on people having problems in this thread. What I'm trying to do is find a workaround for people until BTV fix the issue. The workaround is often proper settings of an LCD TV, which has the added benefit of providing better picture quality in addition to often eliminating or lessening IR spray:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76161

I've also never said that the LCD TV is the only possible source of IR spray, so if you turn off your TV and still have the problem, then look at other avenues.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I would fully agree that IR spray could exacerbate the issue, but the underlying problem is still the IR reception of the PVR, not the TV's possible IR spray. All I'm seeing from Bell and a lot here is, "it's your TV, it's your TV!", while it most certainly is NOT caused by ONLY someone's TV. If that's not what you're saying, then I misunderstood. But it still seems to be the first thing said, and that's what I'm having an issue with. Bell sent me another receiver, but they did this before they realised the extent of their problem, I think. I'm going to plug it in tonight maybe, and see if the firmware is already updated. If not, I guess it will update during the night and stop working properly for me tomorrow. ;)

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I once had a TV that would lock up when I pressed a certain button on another remote. The only way to reset it was by unplugging. It also turned on when the sun set. So I am aware of IR issues (and that was many years ago, before this forum or even a public internet existed.) Was that the fault of the other remote, the sun or the TV? My case rests with blaming the TV.

At any rate, the sun came up and the 9242 started acting up again. ;) It turned itself off and on and did a couple of other random things. I also realized that the TV was warming up. That means the back light was gradually shifting frequencies and possibly hitting some frequency the 9242 was sensitive to in the process. That could also explain why the repeating keys stopped when I turned the back light up one notch since it would change the frequency of the back light slightly. So... I guess this post should include a partial apology to 57. IR from the TV is playing a bigger role than I thought. IMHO, the fact that the 9242 is sensitive to random IR is still a fault of the 9242, not the TV.

This could also explain why observations are so inconsistent and why automatic picture adjustments play a role. The 9242 could be sensitive to certain frequencies that are emitted by the TVs back light only at certain brightness levels. (Remote IR receivers work at a single frequency by design so it makes some sense.) It also offers a further refinement on a possible work around. That is to adjust the TV back light levels up or down slightly until the symptoms disappear. That should be done after any automatic picture controls are disabled.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Other problems with 9242

I have had other issues with my 9242 over the past week. My machine keeps shutting down and won't come back on until I unplug it for a while and then plug it back in. When I called bell they said nothing of this update. I am wondering if it could be causing my troubles as well?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
So... I guess this post should include a partial apology to 57
scarybob, how about a complete apology to 57?

He knows a hell of lot more about these issues than anyone on these forums and has worked hard at highlighting these issues and helping members with them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, I am now 100% certain that the IR interference is coming from my TV (again thats a Sony Bravia KDL-52W4100). When I turn my TV on, the PVR decides to power on all by itself, then it goes into its on/off loop from there. If I cover the IR sensor on the PVR OR turn the TV off the problem immediately stops. Whats peculiar is that once the TV appears to have 'warmed up' everthing operates normal. I tend to think the TV is overcompensating for a cold start causing the interference which I do believe is eminating from the LCD panel itself (not any kind of IR blaster on the TV such as the light sensor which some claim is the culprit) but most likely from the backlight as others have suggested.

With this in mind, I've adjusted EVERY conceivable setting (including all advanced picture settings) on this TV including "light sensor, auto contrast, backlight, power saving, etc) to each extreme (low, high, auto, on/off) with absolutely no improvement.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a 9242 with v184 and a Recent Sony TV and have experienced zero IR issues. Everything works great so far and I would swear the picture quality has improved (maybe better blacks as others have noted).

Note that my TV is not in torch mode and I have the light sensor turned off. I suppose room topology could also have an effect. i.e. the orientation of the sofa, walls , furniture etc. So far the upgrade is great for me (gotta find some wood to knock on).

121 - 140 of 266 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.