Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
101 - 120 of 266 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
this issue is not specific to a particular make/model of TV.
Well Drewsat suggested it was only Sony and asked if anyone other than Sony owners were having problems hence why folks were noting the brands they own.

Since so many sets have similar features and many are made in the same plant and rebrand them, I am not surprised that its more than just Sony.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Drewsat: It has nothing to do with "light sensor: on/off", I had this setting off prior to the update, and remains off even after the update

While I have absolutely no doubt that its the IR sensor at this point, as unlucky as I have been at finding the IR source causing the sensor to go nuts, I have covered up the IR sensors on the front of the receiver while the problem is happening and it immediately stops.

In any event, whatever the source of the IR confusion, (TV, CF bulbs, LCD screen itself) this problem did not occur prior to V184 system software.

Has anyone noticed a firmware update/fix yet? I would imagine Bell would be rolling out a fix in the same fashion they attempted to roll out the system update over the period of sever days, weeks, etc. It would be nice to know as soon as someone does notice a new upgrade.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
[email protected]#$ %^&* Bell Updates

Roll out of the v184 update has not stopped. It was downloaded to my 9242 this morning. I noticed it happening when the receiver was turned off. Bell Idiots?! :confused:

There were some issues, like invalid guide data, until the receiver was rebooted. Why Bell didn't program a reboot after the update is another issue that needs to be addressed.

The key repeat issue now occurs on about 1/3 of the key presses. That's a real PITA and it will drive the better half crazy. Then she will than drive me crazy complaining about it. Not a good situation. :eek:

After playing with this awhile, I am convinced that it is NOT being caused by the TV. Here is why... I run my TV in a fairly "dark" mode, with the back light on a very low setting. Like I said, about 1/3 of the keystrokes repeated. I then turned the TV back light up to 10 (max) to see if it got worse (as reported here.) The key repeat problem virtually disappeared. Turning the back light back down caused the key repeat issue to return.

Here is my analysis after first hand experience. Someone broke the key bounce elimination code in the firmware. For those not familiar, key bounce is caused by mechanical issues when keys are pressed on keyboards or remotes. Duplicate signals can be sent by input devices but are filtered out. De-bouncing is a term used for the elimination of unwanted repeat key strokes that are too close together to be caused by normal human key presses. (De-bouncing can also be done in the input device itself but some remotes don't have a lot of circuitry.)

While TV settings do have some influence over the severity of the issue, TV settings or the TV itself are not the cause of the issue. It's a problem with the firmware.

·
Super Moderator
57,147 Posts
ScaryBob, your deduction makes no sense.

I am convinced that it is NOT being caused by the TV. Here is why... I run my TV in a fairly "dark" mode, with the back light on a very low setting. Like I said, about 1/3 of the keystrokes repeated. I then turned the TV back light up to 10 (max) to see if it got worse (as reported here.) The key repeat problem virtually disappeared. Turning the back light back down caused the key repeat issue to return.
The fact that the problem changed when you turned the backlight up reinforces that it is a TV issue. If you read through the LCD link that I previously provided, there is an optimum setting for the TV (in terms of minimum IR spray) and sometimes "too low" also causes problems. Depends on the TV and perhaps other settings.

I realize that this is a BTV issue, however, it's highly likely that your TV is the aggravating cause.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64463

Please take the time to actually read the thread instead of glossing over it, as the higher/lower backlight issue is discussed in various posts of the thread.

Your hypothesis about what is wrong with the firmware may be correct, but the aggravating cause is still IR interference, in your case probably from the TV since it changed with the TV settings. My link also discusses the possible other sources of IR spray.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The V184 firmware has just been downloaded to one of my 9242's and seems to be working fine even though I have a Sharp Aquos LCD. I turned on something called OPC and a green light came on the front of the TV and it still worked OK - until---. Here is how it happened.

As I noted in post 35 and continued in post 47, I had a problem with the "Boot Recovery" screen staying on but was eventually able to clear it. It then became clear that this problem was unrelated to the V184 firmware as I still had V183. Last night the power went off (it has been going off quite often lately which may be the reason for the problem) and the Boot Recovery screen came on again and refused all my attempts to clear it. I followed the same procedure as last time (left it unplugged all night, after plugging in and the BR screen appeared, held down the power button for a minute) and this time after the progress ended and the screen went black for about a minute, the signal recovery screen came on followed by the guide download and then a picture. I then discovered that I had the V184 when I hit guide twice and I got the choice menu described here earlier. Checked a number of things and was exploring the menu and came across "channels on demand". I don't remember if that was there before but I hadn't used it and decided to explore. When I selected it, the screen went blank and stayed that way until I held down the power button on the remote and the receiver started a reboot. Oh no, "Boot Recovery" appeared and is recycling again.:(

It appears that the new firmware was downloaded when "vital program information" as described in the Boot Recovery screen was downloaded. Unfortunately, it was not working long enough for me to be sure that there are no problems with the remote signals. Will post any further developments.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
57, I have read the entire thread. If it were a TV issue, it would have been present prior to v184. The fact that my experience is opposite to that of some other people only reinforces my conclusions:

ScaryBob said:
While TV settings do have some influence over the severity of the issue, TV settings or the TV itself are not the cause of the issue. It's a problem with the firmware.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have just resurected my 9242 again and have experimented with all the functions on the remote with no problems with the TV set to automatic light. Perhaps when it gets dark, this may change.

I like that they have, in my view, corrected the fact that if you move forward on the guide and then change favorites, it stays at the point that you have moved forward and does not go back to the present as the old firmware did. I also like the way you can change favorites without having to cycle through to get to the one you want.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My 9242 updated today. So far no issues. I have a Samsung LCD. I notice under the Preferences menu "Mode Reminder". This will popup a message onscreen whenever your remote is not in SAT mode. Could this be related to the change that is causing the problems with this firmware? Would disabling the feature stop the problems from occuring?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I was updated overnight because yesterday my 9242 was at version V183. Now it's at V184. Something strange is going on because although my version number switched to 184, I don't seem to have the added differences that some of you have been reporting. For instance:

- My guide buttons works as always. Pressing it repeatedly scrolls.
- I don't see a broadband status on the info screen. It's just phone and hdd.
- When viewing the guide, the machine does not remember where I left off.

None of the features are active on my V184 9242 PVR.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Gremlins? What gremlins?

Now the key repeat issue has now disappeared. In the meantime, I went through all the receiver menus, changed the menu selection to put up a list and changed some channel locks. I also changed the TV picture settings slightly (reset the movie mode and increased the back light level by one number.) The sun also went down and it started to snow. I figure it's one of those things but there are tooo many variables to isolate just one thing. :confused:

·
Registered
151 Posts
It is getting dark. Issues with repeating remote signals began occurring. Turned off automatic light settings on TV. Repeating remote signals stopped.

My other 9242 also received the new 184 and was displaying the same issues but changeing the TV fixed it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Spoke with Bell again, they said that unfortunately "the problem is on their end, not with the receiver" that that they're still working on the fix.

I asked the questions specifically below w/ answers

- Are you able to confirm whether the problem is IR related? Yes - you can use masking tape
- Will there for certain be a fix (don't want to be given false hope)? Yes
- Estimated timeframe until an update is sent out? No
- When the update is released will it show a different version? i.e. V185? Yes
- Has there been a high call volume directly related to this issue? Yes all 9242 users are affected

Suggestions as per Bell Support Rep:

disable OPC on your TV: Refer to your TV manual which adjusts color/contrast of the TV automatically.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I never had any automatic picture controls (OPC?) enabled and the problem still occurred. I wonder what they would say to that?

"the problem is on their end, not with the receiver"
More correctly, it's only fixable from their end by downloading new firmware to the receiver. Since the problem is the firmware in the receiver, technically, it is a receiver problem until they fix the firmware.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Black Levels improved through HDMI in v184?

Am I just seeing things, or have black levels visibly improved with the new firmware? Prior to the upgrade, blacks were just a low level of grey. Now they look great on my Pioneer Plasma!

Any official word on this?

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I was updated today as well. So far no funny business with the IR port.

Once annoyance has returned however. When I press the PVR button for the first time - if I haven't been to the PVR menu in a while - there is a delay while it checks my EHD. I can see the lights begin flashing on the EHD. About 3-4 seconds later the menu appears. This was a problem two software releases ago. They fixed it in the last one, and now it's back.

I don't really think the subtle change to the Guide Top information bar is better than it was. I prefer the old look.

Just my two cents.

-Mike

·
Registered
225 Posts
Just a note to say I have seen no issues yet with V184 update using a Samsung 61 inch DLP. Mind you I calibrated the set myself using a Blueray calibration disk and am not using any of the auto Dynamic controls. Everything works as it should.

John

·
Banned
181 Posts
I never had any automatic picture controls (OPC?) enabled and the problem still occurred. I wonder what they would say to that?

More correctly, it's only fixable from their end by downloading new firmware to the receiver. Since the problem is the firmware in the receiver, technically, it is a receiver problem until they fix the firmware.
Optimal Picture Control perhaps.

Depending on your TV, it might be called something like Light Source (Sony) and JVC or Toshiba might be Dynamic Contrast Control. If you're running a non-LCD you're not likely going to be affected.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey,

So i turned of the auto picture adjustment and that got rid of my double clicking remote. Now however I am having a problem with the title bar poping up randomly. As if i was pressing the select key on the remote. It just pops up and then disapears. I figure the reciver is still picking up some IR spray from somewhere. Any tips on how i can reduce it.

101 - 120 of 266 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.