Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
81 - 100 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
An idea from another thread is to press play as your last command as the 9242 seems to keep repeating whatever the last command was, if it repeats play while watching nothing will happen. Still need to be careful when navigating the menus but at least you can watch programs with relatively no issues.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
New functionality in the 9242 that I hate is that pressing Guide multiple times does not switch the guide to the next favourite. Instead it brings up a dialog box that forces you to then select the Guide you want.

I hate it.

Anyone know if you can switch back to the old behaviour?

·
Banned
181 Posts
New functionality in the 9242 that I hate is that pressing Guide multiple times does not switch the guide to the next favourite. Instead it brings up a dialog box that forces you to then select the Guide you want.

I hate it.

Anyone know if you can switch back to the old behaviour?
Hugh: Go to menu 8-2 (Preferences-Favourites) You can go back to the other way of changing the Guide type.

It was added because many, many people were hitting the guide button several times and unaware they were on the HD Only list. They would think that they lost channels and were calling for help.

·
Registered
221 Posts
An idea from another thread is to press play as your last command as the 9242 seems to keep repeating whatever the last command was, if it repeats play while watching nothing will happen. Still need to be careful when navigating the menus but at least you can watch programs with relatively no issues.
Yes, we started doing that. Still, doesn't help when you're trying to access a prerecorded show in your PVR list.

·
Registered
261 Posts
One of our two 9242's is doing the same thing. Started jumping around like crazy. Turned it off and the power kept cycling on and off. Tried a hard reset on it. Seems a little better but is still doing a few random jumps.

What started out promising seems to be a bit of a buggy update now.
Same issue here started about a week ago. Only solution I've found is to cover the IR reciever on it which means I can use the Harmony or the Slingbox repeater.

·
Super Moderator
57,147 Posts
For those of you with the IR issue, please see the following thread on the topic. It has nothing to do with two-way HDMI connection. It's IR intereference (spray) from the TV. Various workarounds are outlined in the post:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64463

(This sort of interference is not viewable on a digital camera) The issue was also discussed in the following (parallel) thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=119419

Hopefully revised firmware with less sensitivity will fix the issue for you once implemented, however, proper setup of the TV will usually help too, providing not only a resolution to this issue, but also better PQ on the TV.

·
Super Moderator
57,147 Posts
Yeah, the firmware changed the sensitivity to IR. It seems to be affecting mostly people with LCD TVs and mostly people who have left the LCD in default picture modes, high backlight levels, etc. These are items that should be changed when you get the TV home, but probably 90+% of people don't do. I believe it's easy to test if you unplug/turn off the TV and the lights on the PVR return to normal. (too bad the PVR has no "display" on the device itself.)

The people who are actually discussing the "features" of the new firmware in this thread (and not the IR problem) are likely people who don't have LCDs, or have set them up properly.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Hugh: Go to menu 8-2 (Preferences-Favourites) You can go back to the other way of changing the Guide type.
Thanks DrewSat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
57, I think your on the money with your call here about IR sensitivity. My TV settings were not altered when the new firmware was applied. I did have my TV's picture settings customized unlike most people. I guess that the IR must come off the physical screen itself rather than a remote-style IR (LED) blaster where it's easily visible on a digital camera.

Bell still can't go off the assumption that everyone customizes their picture settings. I think it was short sightedness and lack of QA on their part.

Now I'm left trying to figure out what settings work best on a Bravia KDL-52W4100 series to cause the least amount of interference until Bell does push a fix down (days, weeks, months, ever?).

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Bell will be held responsible for any damage to receivers from an update they send.
That's not going to happen. According to the agreement everyone signs when subscribing, Bell can do what they want with the firmware. I've seen much, much worse than this and nothing ever happened. If you call Bell, they might give you a month's programming credit on your bill. It sounds like they are trying to fix this ASAP, I've seen worse firmware than this go out with no fix for almost a year.

Now I'm left trying to figure out what settings work best on a Bravia KDL-52W4100 series
As mentioned, turn off any automatic settings. These go by different names on each TV but can usually be found under the video menu. Then set the video mode to "Movie" for all inputs. That's a very basic initial setup for new TVs.

I choose the custom or user video mode. Then I set the brightness at 50%, the contrast at 100% and then reduce the back light level to a setting where where dark grays are just discernible. To do a better job of calibration, a calibration DVD or special equipment may be necessary but I find that to be a good starting point for LCD TVs.

Edit: It appears that the issue on Sony Bravia TVs is caused by "Sony Bravia Auto Ambient Light". Turn it off. On any other TVs, if they have any sort of "electric eye" automatic picture settings, turn them off.

I suspect this is being caused by the TV picking up the IR from the remote and echoing it by changing picture brightness. The 9242 then picks this up as another IR remote command. At any rate, the 9242 seems to be overly sensitive to changing IR levels from the TV display.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Yeah, the firmware changed the sensitivity to IR. It seems to be affecting mostly people with LCD TVs and mostly people who have left the LCD in default picture modes, high backlight levels, etc. These are items that should be changed when you get the TV home, but probably 90+% of people don't do. I believe it's easy to test if you unplug/turn off the TV and the lights on the PVR return to normal. (too bad the PVR has no "display" on the device itself.)

The people who are actually discussing the "features" of the new firmware in this thread (and not the IR problem) are likely people who don't have LCDs, or have set them up properly.
Thanks to everybody who has shared their comments about the remote control issue.

We're finding that Sony users have to turn off the Light Sensor option in the General Settings options in the menu. This feature seems to affect the receiver, especially when the TV and receiver are in a darkly lit room. The problem goes away once this option is turned off.
Although if you go back into the Sony TV main menu that seems to affect the receiver until you leave the TV menu.

Of those that are seeing this issue, is anybody not using Sony?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Of those that are seeing this issue, is anybody not using Sony?
I have a 32" Sharp. LC-32DA5U

I always run a low-brightness setup. I think the only thing besides my TV that could spray the room with IR are my room lights. I'll do a test with them off tonight to check. It's not so far-fetched; I've had to turn my Xmas tree lights off to play the Wii before.

·
Super Moderator
57,147 Posts
As I mentioned earlier, where I included the link to the LCD IR thread, this issue is not specific to a particular make/model of TV. Some other equipment also causes the IR issue (some CFLs, some Plasma TVs, etc) often to a slightly different extent.

81 - 100 of 266 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.