Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 40 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'll be making use of the broadband connection for sure. I haven't had a landline for years. The 1.5TB option is interesting too.

Agree with the other posters that hope this will resolve the audio dropout issue with recorded material. It really is annoying. Happy to PM you my setup info if you want it, Drew.

·
Registered
113 Posts
if folks don't have a phone line to their receiver, what makes you think they are going to have an ethernet connection at their box.
I don't think it would be that unusual. Most if not all of those who have an HTPC plugged in to their HDTV - like me - also have a wall mounted ethernet connection already installed behind the TV.

On the other hand, I don't have any phone jack. When I order PPV, I always have to connect a long telephone cable temporarily from another room.

So for me it is great.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Mine is still at V183 too. I don't suppose they added the "grouping" feature to the EHD, like the internal disk can do (where you group like programs into folders)?

-Mike
Yes, i now have grouping on the EXT HD. Best feature about the firmware update that I can find!!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I don't think it would be that unusual. Most if not all of those who have an HTPC plugged in to their HDTV - like me - also have a wall mounted ethernet connection already installed behind the TV.
I don't know where you hang out but how many living rooms do you go into that have an HTPC hooked up to an HDTV?

·
Registered
43 Posts
NOw the the enternet connection is working for something, they can work on getting a lot of cool features.

Here is my wish list:

- I would love to be able to watch tv on my PC via the network. Or even watch files from the PC using the 9242 on the TV.

- Connect to 9242 and change my PRV schedule.

- Be able to edit the saved shows Titles and info via the PC and using a keyboard.

- Or even add apps to the box so that things like MSN messenger or facebook and be done from the TV using the remote. Or even check your e-mail. Things like this added to Bell would let them sell themselves as more then just TV but a full entertainment package.

OOO think of the options...

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Yes, i now have grouping on the EXT HD. Best feature about the firmware update that I can find!!
Awesome! Should make managing the bigger disks much better.

The new IP features should open the door to online PVR scheduling, which I think Dish does now.

-Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had one crash with the new firmware. A hard reset fixed it. One thing that I did notice was when deleting programs from the internal drive some of the deletes were much faster while others were considerably longer. This was with a series of 60 minute shows.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Internet distribution of on demand programs?

I was wondering if the IP connection provided with the upgrade will result in distribution of on demand programs over the internet rather than via satelite? This could free up satelite bandwith.

My Xbox is able to stream Zume video from the internet very well and it is connected wirelessly to my router.

I was wondering why they chose the 9242 to do the upgrade. I thought that this box had been discontinued.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Not sure I see the point of this update for me. I don't have a phone line near my receiver and certainly don't feel inclined to string a network cable to my receiver when my PS3 and Wii are networked wirelessly.

Also, why no love for external hdd's that don't require external power? Like I don't have enough things plugged around my entertainment unit already?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
CrazyCdn, hard drives need more power than an optical mouse or keyboard. The need for a drive with a separate power supply has been discussed on many other threads so lets keep the discussion focused on the update please.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I didn't notice this thread until today, so I don't know whether or not our 9242 has gotten the new firmware. Based on other member's reports of problems with interactive features, I suspect it might have as this morning while trying to access the PVR Recording List, twice it started loading an interactive app. I just hit Guide button to restore.

I do like the fact that it will now accept a 1.5 TB EHD. I had an old PATA enclosure I was going to use but the cost of a 750 GB PATA drives don't make sense. Now that that the 9242 will take the larger EHD drives, I will ditch the idea of using the PATA enclosure and go straight to a 1.5 TB SATA with a new enclosure.
I was wondering if the IP connection provided with the upgrade will result in distribution of on demand programs over the internet rather than via satelite? This could free up satelite bandwith.

My Xbox is able to stream Zume video from the internet very well and it is connected wirelessly to my router.

I was wondering why they chose the 9242 to do the upgrade. I thought that this box had been discontinued.
With regards to freeing up satellite bandwidth vs. internet, it might be good for Bell, but not for the consumer. Why would I want to do this? I pay for my bandwidth, the content I get from Bell via satellite is likely going to be better quality than any internet delivered content, and as a 9242 owner I already can watch the content whenever I want. If I miss the show completely, as suggested there are other ways of getting the content, which likely won't have forced commercials (which is also a possibility as Bell has to pay for the bandwidth on their end).

As for the 9242 getting the update, I suspect there will be software updates rolling out for the 9241 shortly as well. Just because the 9242 is discontinued doesn't mean that owners are going to ditch them - IMHO there isn't a better stb for DTH right now in Canada.

cheers.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Just would like to clarify a few things:

The Channels on Demand interactive feature has been available since 2006 or so. The Self-Serve menu simply allows you to access that application and the iTV home page from a central location.

A software upgrade has also been sent out to some 9241s enabling the ethernet connection for PPV purchases, HomeComm, and EHD support. All 9241s will be upgraded by end of week as well.

·
Registered
151 Posts
This morning one of my 9242's began displaying the screen "Boot Recovery" which keeps cycling. Could this have anything to do with the upgrade? I found the thread dated 2008-03-19 which indicated that meant the receiver was toast and gave a reference by Hugh to another thread which I can't follow since it takes me to the main Digital Forum page. However, someone on this thread mentioned his reciever had crashed and he did a hard reboot which recovered it. I'm not sure how to do a hard reboot(is the term hard reset?) and can't find it through the search. Might this work and how do I do it?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I had one crash with the new firmware. A hard reset fixed it.
Doing a reboot after a firmware upgrade should be standard practice. I wouldn't expect any device to operate properly after a firmware upgrade and no reboot, though some might. Cashed code and data can often be in the wrong location or become invalid after an upgrade to a running application. After all, these are not fault tolerant or high availability devices we are dealing with here.

·
Banned
1,302 Posts
My 9241 already updated to V233 (or V234?), with all the new menu options. Guess I got to go buy a 30 foot ethernet cable now, so I can plug it in to my router.:D

What is HomeComm, does it allow all the receivers to communicate to each other, what for?

21 - 40 of 266 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.