1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Here's the setup:
2 dual LNBs into sw44
SW44 1 and 2 outputs to receiver 9242 in living room (works perfectly including separate SD out via coax to other tvs)
SW44 output 3 to 9241 sat input 1 in bedroom (not feasible to run a second RG6 to that room for the dual input)

The 9241 in the bedroom works perfectly well for viewing except it doesn't work so well for the PVR recording (I knew this going in:cool:). It will always choose TV1 to record but it will never record anything because there is no input to the second Sat. I got the 9241 for free and wasn't going to turn it down :)

I have serached the forums but could not find a clear solution. There seams to be possible solutions but I could find a specific one. Is there a workaround to this with out having a second RG6 run done to the bedroom?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
The easiest way to achieve what you want is to buy a DPP Twin LNBF and 2 x DPP Seperators.

You would remove the SW44 and BOTH LNBF's at the Dish. Replace the old LNBF's with the DPP Twin. Then use just 2 of the lines, 1 to your 9242 and 1 to your 9241. At the rear of each Receiver you use a DPP Seperator, to feed BOTH Tuners on each receiver.

Run a "Check Switch" after installation and don 't forget to remove the Power Inserter that was used for the SW44, it is no longer required.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The easiest way to achieve what you want is to buy a DPP Twin LNBF and 2 x DPP Seperators.

You would remove the SW44 and BOTH LNBF's at the Dish. Replace the old LNBF's with the DPP Twin. Then use just 2 of the lines, 1 to your 9242 and 1 to your 9241. At the rear of each Receiver you use a DPP Seperator, to feed BOTH Tuners on each receiver.

Run a "Check Switch" after installation and don 't forget to remove the Power Inserter that was used for the SW44, it is no longer required.
I just put in a 9241 last week in place of my old 5100. It currently has one line running from a Legacy Quad to the Sat 1 input on the 9241. Did the check-switch after install. Although "System Info" gets confused because there is no Sat2 input, I've had no problem with any level of operation as if it was a single-tuner receiver. Everything has recorded correctly, and every channel I need is there.

I have purchased a DPP Twin and DPP separator, and will install those as soon as I get a chance (maybe not for another two weeks!) - but until then it seems to be working fine as long as I don't need two-tuner capability (which I rarely do, if ever!)

Maybe I haven't read enough yet, but I am confused as to why the scheduler shows every recorded program to be on "TV2" as if its a 9242. There's only one "TV" for the 9241, so I'm not sure what this designation means, or how to change it to TV1, on a 9241. Being in a "southern province", my reference point is a DirecTV Tivo with dual-tuner, single-output capability.... you never have to concern yourself with which tuner is doing what - it figures it all out unless you ask it to tune to three things at once.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
On the 9200/9242 & 9241 the TV2, refers to the Tuner #.

The default is to record to Tuner #2, leaving Tuner #1 free for watching another live show.

Try MENU, 8, 5.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I believe the 9241 has Tuner 2 dedicated to recording, so if it is not hooked up it will be a problem. In the 9242, when in single mode, which is what the 9241 is always in, and you swap and stay on that setting I believe the unit records on the tuner you are not watching, but I could be wrong. I think you may have problems until both tuners are hooked up.
The 9241 can do 3 things at once when both tuners hooked up, record two shows while you view a previously recorded event.

·
Registered
134 Posts
On the 9200/9242 & 9241 the TV2, refers to the Tuner #.

The default is to record to Tuner #2, leaving Tuner #1 free for watching another live show.
My experience with a 9200 is none, and very limited with a 9242, from visits to my brother's place, where he has one set up in dual mode, feeding a second TV in the guest room.

However, I thought for those two machines, TV2 referred to what was being output to the second TV, which could be different from what was being output to the main, directly-connected TV. I'll admit I never got into the details of setting up recordings on his 9242 - so what you say above could also be true, although that would imply to me that a 9200/9242 in dual mode is really two single-tuner DVR's in the same box, if shows recorded by tuner 1 can only be watched on TV1, etc. Surely that is not really the case?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I believe the 9241 has Tuner 2 dedicated to recording, so if it is not hooked up it will be a problem. In the 9242, when in single mode, which is what the 9241 is always in, and you swap and stay on that setting I believe the unit records on the tuner you are not watching, but I could be wrong. I think you may have problems until both tuners are hooked up.
OK - this and Pinza's input is starting to make sense. I also stand corrected on my earlier statement - the 9241 with only Tuner 1 hooked up has missed a couple of recordings that were not simultaneous.

I just spent time looking thru the recordings, their info pages, and the history from the past week. Although every future recording is listed on TV2, every successful recording is listed as having been completed by "User 1". The two recordings that did not happen are listed as having failed because of signal loss by "User 2". So, that all makes sense if user = tuner. I'm just not sure why those two required Tuner 2 - perhaps I was using the receiver for something else at the time (ie, Tuner 1, as you both say above). But, if I wasn't, I'm not sure why those two failed given all the others recorded without a problem.

Anyway, with only Sat 1 hooked up, the unit has successfully recorded about 6 of 8 scheduled programs in the last week. So, its far from not recording anything, as the OP is experiencing. But - I will try and find time to get that DPP Twin up as soon as I can!

Thanks,

·
Registered
134 Posts
I took an hour this morning to replace my legacy quad with the DPP Twin LNB. Once that was on, putting the DPP Separator on the back of the receiver was simple, and the check-switch was the fastest I've ever seen.

System info on the 9241 was finally very happy, and it listed me with green boxes for 91 and 82 on both Tuner 1 and Tuner 2. Hopefully no more missed recordings.

This is a very easy change - so I'd thoroughly recommend it for people with only one or two receivers. I'm all for anything that reduces the number of cables and weather-exposed switches!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks BEVinBOS and everyone,

I am getting about 2 of the 8 (if I were to quantify it out of 8) recorded, kind of the opposite of you.

I have not had the time to look for a DPP yet (don't even know where I would get one in Edmonton yet) but as soon as I have time I will have to go and get one.

I just watch the recordings on the 9242 in the living room as instead of the bedroom....:p

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have not had the time to look for a DPP yet (don't even know where I would get one in Edmonton yet) but as soon as I have time I will have to go and get one.
They're readily available on ebay (just don't confuse it with a Dish Pro Twin LNB). New and used available. Reputable places in the US like solidsignal.com also sell them (for quite a bit more) but may have issues with shipping to Canada.

Good luck,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brought 9241 cant record and watch other program hooked up dpp twin have 2 sepetors one each and
Just have on wire to the 9241the other input tiner 2 not hooked up cant switch the tuner
To tuner1 what the next step ....?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I am confused about the setup you have.
You said you have 2 separators. You only need one.
You said you have one cable to to tuner 1 and nothing to tuner 2?

You should have one cable into a separator. then the two separator outputs go to the the two tuner inputs. This has to be a DPP separator not a cable line splitter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts