Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 120 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I recently purchased a Seagate ST1000VM002 that I originally put in my 9241, but moved it to my 9242. Worked in both flawlessly, but I don't know what firmware. Just google "buy ST1000VM002" there are a number of sellers, and paid $75 plus tax, very easy to install.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, as I stated, I'm a bit nervous to try anything with the HD at this point as I've still got TV. The last time my HD pooched i pulled it out and tried to format in my PC and it wouldn't do it. I just wanted to find a HD first and then I'd have no problem trying to re-format this HD. Also, the HD currently in this is a Seagate ST3320310CS Firmware SC14 vs the WD in your post. Would that matter?
crestman - WD vs Seagate doesn't matter.

You said you couldn't format the drive last time you tried,

Was the drive spinning up when you installed it into the PC?
What steps did you take the last time you tried re-formatting via PC? Did you delete all partitions first via the Disk Management console? and create a new NTFS partition?

btw. You cannot format the drive straight out of the PVR. The file system is incompatible therefore Windows will not "see" the drive. Doesn't mean the drive is dead.

I believe if the drive is spinning up without abnormal noise, the drive is good. It's just needs to be "re-conditioned" to work in the PVR.

Check out these Seagate tools to perform a low level format. (Western Digital Data LifeGuard should work too)

How Do I Low-Level Format a SATA or ATA (IDE) Hard Drive?
SeaTools for Windows | Seagate

·
Registered
25 Posts
I recently purchased a Seagate ST1000VM002 that I originally put in my 9241, but moved it to my 9242. Worked in both flawlessly, but I don't know what firmware. Just google "buy ST1000VM002" there are a number of sellers, and paid $75 plus tax, very easy to install.
That's a 3.5" drive. Are you guys finding 3.5" instead of 2.5"?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the info cordoba002!

I'm a bit unsure of how I went about the format last time. I'm sure I tried through disk manager and tried to delete partitions. I sure wish I'd have kept that old original drive as I probably could have re-conditioned it as you've stated. At any rate, I can't find another drive that's on the compatibility list so I may have to give that a try. At this point this receiver has been relegated to bedroom receiver so I'm not as concerned about the PVR side as much, but would still like to get that back.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
crestman, the Seagate ST1000VM002 that I purchased is FW:SC12, but while I said it works flawlessly in both the 9241 and 9242, only the 9241 recognizes it as a 1TB drive and gives 150 hours of HD recording and shows the receiver as a 9241+. The 9242 no matter what I do only recognized it as a 640GB drive and won't become a 9242+, it gives 120 hours of HD recording, but does work fine otherwise.
So the Seagate ST1000VM002 FW:SC12 a 3.5 drive works fine for making a 9241 into a 9241+ and giving 150Hrs of HD recording time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
crestman, the Seagate ST1000VM002 that I purchased is FW:SC12, but while I said it works flawlessly in both the 9241 and 9242, only the 9241 recognizes it as a 1TB drive and gives 150 hours of HD recording and shows the receiver as a 9241+. The 9242 no matter what I do only recognized it as a 640GB drive and won't become a 9242+, it gives 120 hours of HD recording, but does work fine otherwise.
So the Seagate ST1000VM002 FW:SC12 a 3.5 drive works fine for making a 9241 into a 9241+ and giving 150Hrs of HD recording time.

I tried a ST1000VM002 FW:SC12 just now, no luck.
I cleared the nvram. Rebooted with new hdd and it does not recognize it.
Do you have any idea for me?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
When you installed & plugged your harddrive in and then plugged your pvr in, the pvr should recognize it, say data is corrupted on it and then format it. If it did not, is there any chance that the drive is not functional or a cable not connected properly.
If your pvr didn't recognize it, have you tried it in anything else, like a PC just to verify the drive works?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys,

I need some help,

I want to do a low format on the drive but when i install the drive in the pc it doesn't speed but when it put it on the receiver i can hear the drive spin , I even used 2 different external hard drive case that i have and it doesn't spin too, someone has an idea?

thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
My 9241 drive spun up without issues on a Win7 PC. I was able to wipe the partitions off it, create a new one, and read/write data to make sure it was functioning.

On deleting that partition and reinstalling the drive into the 9241, the original partitions were recreated. Unfortunately the box has another issue that makes it mostly brain dead. :(

Kevin

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
The 9242 no matter what I do only recognized it as a 640GB drive and won't become a 9242+, it gives 120 hours of HD recording, but does work fine otherwise.
Are there any other 1 TB drives that will work with my 9242 and be recognized as a 1 TB drive? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
That list is 5 years old, and the Seagate model that does work is not listed there. So the list is not up to date. Is there an updated list? Thanks.

101 - 120 of 150 Posts