Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
@Mr.X -----> It should be the same procedure as the 9242.

UPDATE: The 9242 now accepts 1 Terabyte drives as of V195. I just threw a Seagate Pipeline HD .2 1TB ST31000424CS in my 9242 and it picked it up right away without issue. This was tried by myself a few months ago to no avil as of V194. But we are now able to still have the Best PVR and expand its internal storage.:p:p:p:cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
does anyone know if only certain model numbers of the pipeline 1TB drives work. My hard drive is starting to fail in my 9241. Don't want to waste funds ordering the wrong one.
Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
About that 1TB Seagate PIPELINE HD I installed.

I get over 500 hours of HD video recording.

Freezing and skipping on some hockey games are eliminated or improved but they are still there.

The worst skipping is when you are an hour late into the game and its still recording and you are catching up to real time.

SEAGATE Pipeline HD® 3Gb/s 1TB Hard Drive MODEL: ST1000VM002

·
Registered
137 Posts
That's a good point, on Seagates website they boast the 4TB drive having the ability to store 480 hours of HD recordings.

·
Super Moderator
56,433 Posts
Remember that anyone with the new firmware will see double the capacity for the HDDs because of MPEG4 compression. The drive has not changed, just the calculation. The people without the new firmware also have the larger amount of recording capability, but the calculation will be incorrect.

I believe 1 TB doesn't have 500 hours of HD though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
yeah, but i have a 320gb in mine (stock) and i get about 50-55 hours of HD. It actually seems like its less though i always find my self with 30 min of HD space left lol.

So to go from 55Hours to 500 that is quite the jump. If its true, i'm ordering a TB right now. if not, I may as well just keep this 320 Pipeline i have as a spare right now.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I believe the 9400 out of the box shows 500 hours of SD or 150 hours of HD and it has a 1TB drive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anybody tried a Pipeline drive larger than 1TB?

I have a 9241 with a dead hdd and the 2TB Pipelines are only $40 more - but would it work. i.e. SEAGATE Pipeline HD® 3Gb/s 2TB Hard Drive MODEL: ST1000VM003

Anyone know? I dont know enough aboot the firmware to know.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
The drive has to be one that exactly matches the model number of one of the acceptable drives. You can't just chose any drive you want and install it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bell 9241 internal HD list

Good Day all,

I've been searching the forums to get the current internal compatible hard drive list for my 9241. I starting failing on me after 7 years. The software revision is v249.

Would someone have the list handy.

Thanks again for the help.

Gilbert

·
Registered
180 Posts
About that 1TB Seagate PIPELINE HD I installed.

I get over 500 hours of HD video recording.

Freezing and skipping on some hockey games are eliminated or improved but they are still there.

The worst skipping is when you are an hour late into the game and its still recording and you are catching up to real time.

SEAGATE Pipeline HD® 3Gb/s 1TB Hard Drive MODEL: ST1000VM002
I can confirm that the Seagate Pipeline 1TB ST1000VM002 hard drive DOES work in the 9241 Bell receiver but you get 150h of HD recording capacity (500h of SD).

Replacement takes about 30 minutes, including disconnection, replacement, reconnection, formatting, reset, etc.

I also recommend oiling the fan while you have the receiver open. Just pull the sticker on the back of the fan about half way and you'll see the oiling point. Drop some light oil in there (Hoppe's 9 works great for that, 1-2 drops) then turn the fan manually so that the oil works it's way through then stick the sticker back on and you're good to go for another 5 years.

Receiver that was VERY noisy before is now whisper-quiet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its funny that this post just came up. I have another PVR unit from Bell, its the poor and sad 5900. It too needs a hard drive.

I would love to see any update for all the PVR units so we can put in solid state hard drives, this would end the skipping and all other drive related problems. The solid state drives have 1 million hours of life before failures, most mechanical drives we get are around 30,000.

When I get the 5900 apart, I will try a solid state, and if it works I will try a new style of solid state in the 9241 that I have - only if it has a firmware update from this year, if one is available. If its using the same old update from last fall I know it wont take the solid state.

I noticed there is a new Seagate Video 3.5 HDD, these drives are designed for PVR units, I may try this and let you know if there are any problems

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have tried 6 different ST1000VM002 drives in various 9241s and none have worked. Latest firmware.
I don't know what to tell you bud but mine was just a simple drop-in. Do you do anything to the drives before you put them in? Mine went straight from the factory-sealed bag to the receiver and worked like a charm.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tried the 1 tb sea gate drive in my 9241 it was originally my external hard drive until my existing failed, watching tv again but have no access to my pvr functions. Got any ideas for me?

21 - 40 of 150 Posts