Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my 9241 today and noticed some audio skipping and audio out of sync when I paused and played.

I called Bell and was told it was a known issue and a new firmware is coming out on July 7, 2010 for my receiver.

I thought I'd pass this info on to everyone.
Overnight software version 236 was installed on my 9241. I'm not sure what is new with this version, but it has not fixed the HDCP problem. The 9241 still does not see my Sony Bravia as HDCP compliant.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Must reset after shutting off TV...

This must be a common problem. I have a Sony Bravia connected to my 9241 via HDMI. When I looked last night, I was at V235.

I know there are problems with HDMI, but I've looked through the threads and haven't found a solution or a similar situation to mine.

Whenever I power down the TV (even for a few seconds), I have to reset the PVR to get a signal when I power on the TV.

I've called the support line multiple times. I've had the original PVR returned and replaced. Same problems.

I bought this thing expecting it to work out of the box. However, I think I've made a serious mistake in not researching this PoC further.

Any suggestions? I really like the picture it produces and have owned a Bell PVR for many years.

Thank-you

(Just read back through the threads and noticed a lot of HDMI problems. I will switch to component and complain to Bell -- bad Bell)

·
Registered
305 Posts
9241 Software V236

Maybe it's my imagination or wishful thinking, but the sound issues on SD channels seems to be improved.
With V235, whenever I switched to an SD channel from HD I immediately had to turn down the volume. Today I didn't need to do that.
As for the fluctuating sound during a program I think it's better but haven't watched enough yet for a definite conclusion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
v236

I called in and was told the software load that hit my box this morning was to fix the audio from going and up and down.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another problem not fixed with v236 is the phone line hijack issue I encountered a few months ago. I was up at 5:00 this morning and noticed that my Panasonic phone indicated "line in use". This message still showed at 7:30 so I did a reset of the 9241, and my phone line was released. (Since the February incident, I left the phone line unconnected. I reconnected it a couple of weeks ago to see if the problem would return.)

I called Bell support this morning and surprisingly enough, I was connected with someone who was actually helpful. Unfortuantely, she wasn't able to offer any real solutions, as it seems that this problem is quite rare. And since I own my receiver outright, there isn't much the can do as far as an exchange. Well, at least they now have a record of my complaint, FWIW. So I am back to leaving the phone line unconnected, but since I don't order any PPV I don't think it's going to be a problem.

·
Registered
647 Posts
You may be right.
I haven't noticed it either of later.
9241T with 236

Do have an occasional weird problem though.
I sometime get HDMI through on my Pioneer receiver and have to send the TV and AVR to sleep and then wake them back up again, AVR, then TV.
The PVR is always ON, but does have the sleep mode enable, so I use tap the remote right after he other devices power up.

I hope HDBaseT when it arrives doesn't have these screwy handshake problems.

·
Registered
647 Posts
And that has been my sequence since last fall when we put all 3 components together.
It's only been in the last few weeks we have observed this phenomena.
Hence wondering if some STB firmware goblins may be at play here.

It's not a showstopper by any means.
And easily corrected when it occasionally happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
problems

I purchased my 9241 in feb of this year and had problems with picture freezing, pixeling, auto volume pitching and the hard drive will go on a turbo mode for 5 to 10 minutes everyday not from daily updates, it just gets really noisy during that time. After many calls and hours with BEll's call centre, complaining to 3 managers (2 others never followed up), 5 (five) 9241 receiver exchanges and 1 e-mail to James Myers Bell's VP of customer service, they are finally agreed to fully refund my purchased price. Almost sounds like MC commercial.

Several of their customer care reps have said that the problems that I am having are "known issues" of their software v235 or v236. What "grinds my gears" is why don't they inform the new customers of this, otherwise don't they call this fraud????

Basically, my worst purchase/customer service experience.

·
Registered
55 Posts
screen weirdness

9241T.

I hesitated to post this because it's rather strange. Coincident with receiving the v236 software, I started getting picture ghosting on the TV (40" Samsung LCD). The ghosting is like image burn-in, except it's not permanent. It shows clearly when I change channels, retaining a ghost of the previous picture on the black screen before the new channel shows, and a ghost of the info banner on the black edges of an SD screen. Sometimes that banner stays visible on that SD screen edge, or it fades in some seconds. Another example: changing to a Galaxy channel, the previous channel's picture is there as a ghost, and as the Galaxy banner moves around the screen, a ghost of the banner stays; leaves a trail, in other words. If I turn off the TV, then back on, the screen is nicely black again and no banner trail is drawn. The ghost images, I should say, are in grey shades. This doesn't seem like it's a problem with my TV; doesn't happen with other inputs, and this never happened before v236. Anybody else experiencing this? Thanks!

Yon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts