Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just purchased a new 9241, and cannot find any reference in the pathetic owners manual, about the meaning of the red, green and blue dots that appear on the guide, after programing recording sessions. sometimes, numbers are appended to these dots.
I have been using an LG DVD recorder for some years, and occasionally I have to de-fragment (initialize) the hard drive. How does one do this on a 9241.
Regarding the manual, I think that it is a joke. It refers to page references that do not exist. The text is too small to read on the illustrations. It does not explain what the significance of these coloured dots are. I could go on.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I think you are referring to the Tuner Numbers that the 9241 will be recording onto.

I thought that was fully covered in the Manual, I will have to dig mine out and look.

Can you post the page refs that lead nowhere, I will check those out too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you go to page 12-1, there is reference to 'Connecting a VCR to the Remote TV'. That section is not there. Technically, it is not a problem with me, but could be for some.
The information I do need is how to set up the remote programming. This is the main reason why I purchased this unit, and was assured by various Bell people that this feature is available. The Bell man that delivered the unit knew nothing about remote programming.
Regarding the coloured dots. They are either just coloured, the red ones sometimes have an 'X' in them, and sometimes any of the three different coloured dots have either a '1' or a '2' appended to them. Your suggestion that they may refer to which tuner is providing the signal is a good one, but it sure would be nice to see an explanation in the Bell manual.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Remote programming thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=73546

I assume you mean 9241. Whenever I've looked in the manual to programme the remote, it's been there, but I don't recall doing a 9241 in my optimizations. Many items today do not include an operating manual since so few people bother to read them. There is often a condensed version, or you need to go to the website to download the manual or get the information online at the manufacturer's/provider's website. Saves paper/resources and allows you to zoom in on details on your computer screen if necessary. This is true for a lot of electronics/equipment these days. Even if a manual is supplied, I always download the operating manual to my computer for searches, zooming, extra copy, etc.

Although, often the best place to find the information is a forum like this.

Regarding your other OP question, due to the way the information is stored on the PVR, there is no need for defrag.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you '57' for your reply. I am intrigued as to why defragmentation of the hard drive is not required. Isn't the data stored in sectors like on a computer hard drive, and accessed using a FAT?
Regarding remote programing, I thank you for the reference, and will study it.
Would still like to know about the coloured dots.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have just looked up the reference and I see that it refers to the hand held remote unit. What I am refering to is the remote programming of the record section using the internet, so that when I am away from home, I can use my wi-fi equipped laptop to remotely program the 9241 through the internet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doesn't anyone know what the red, green or blue dots (with appended numbers) mean, on the programming guide. These only appear on programs that have been selected to be recorded.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Coloured Dots in 9241/42's

Railbuff
The RED Dot X means that the scheduled Program will not be recorded because, A conflict, Not a new episode, or other reason.
The RED Dot recording in progress can be either 1 or 2.
The Green Dot 1 will be recorded by the Tuner 1 and controlled by the Green Remote in a 9242 in dual mode.
The Blue Dot 2 will be recorded by the Tuner 2 controlled by the Blue Remote in a 9242 in dual mode.

In the 9241 and 9242 while in single mode, using the Swap button allows you to watch what is on Tuner 2 even while recording.
Dish Network is updating their manuals all the time, and have new remotes now, but it is a more comprehensive manual.
Download Dish's Manual for 9242 equivalent at http://www.dishnetwork.com/SupportSection/FileStream.ashx?ID=665
The 9241 does most of what the 9242 does except 2 TV output/RF and OTA tuner.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I think you are referring to the Tuner Numbers that the 9241 will be recording onto.
I told you this in my first reply.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Well as the colors also have a number in them I thought it was pretty obvious.

Sadly I was wrong.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts