Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I'm new to the forum so please be kind......I purchased the 8642 500 GB PVR a number of weeks ago and am still familiarizing myself with it..I've noticed that even when the unit is powered down there is still quite a bit of heat emanating from the bottom throughout the day (and night)....I have raised the unit a bit higher on each corner to allow for more airspace underneath but am concerned because when I touch the bottom it is still hot..Is this unusual? Will this put more stress on the internal components and shorten the unit's lifespan?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
SpammyDavisJr.

·
Super Moderator
56,563 Posts
It's perfectly normal since many of today's electronics go into "standby" and are not actually off. When in standby the unit may update its firmware or update the IPG, etc. These STBs usually use about 20-30 Watts when "off" (standby). In future, these sorts of devices will be designed with less parasitic draw, however, for now it's "normal".

See the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, search tips, optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

As an FYI, these "parasitic" draws are discussed in the following thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=35430

Items like STBs and AVRs should always be in well ventilated areas to preclude damage from heat buildup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 57 for the quick reply.....I was concerned as it is really quite hot under the unit when in "standby" mode...I didn't think the pvr would create the amount of heat it does when powered off as my stereo receiver in standby mode doesn't give off any noticeable heat at all.

Thanks again,

SpammyDavisJr.

p.s. anybody else notice that it's hot under their 8642 PVR?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I have an 8300HD, not 8642, but the same tip may apply. The temperature of the unit will be lower if the HDD is not spinning, and I suspect in your case that it is. Under some unknown circumstances the HDD will spin down. To help achieve this unknown circumstance you can uncouple the coax cable for a few hours until the HDD spins down and then reconnect it. Make sure there are no scheduled recording during this period, and do not forget to reattach the cable.

This is an kluge that should not be necessary if the software operated properly, but you have to deal with what you have. Getting the HDD to spin down will result in a marginal amount of energy savings, but everything counts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Bplayer, thanks for the input...I unplugged the coax cable before bed last night and left it alone until this morning...Before reattaching I checked the bottom of the unit and it is still quite hot........I'm guessing that's just the way it is..Thanks anyway.

SpammyDavisJr.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I decided to exchange the unit for a new one today and got the same results...I'm guessing this is the way it's meant to be as the new unit is still hot in "OFF" mode...I'm surprised as this amount of heat may have a detrimental affect on the CPU inside the box as this area seems to be the hottest "hotspot".....Here's hoping it's not going to be a fire hazard. :(

SpammyDavisJr.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Listen carefully to the unit to determine if the HDD is spinning down. One way to tell is to listen while it has been idle for a while and then unplug the unit. If you hear a difference then the HDD is spinning down.

This bing the case, go back to my previous tips on getting the HDD to spin down. You may need to do this once a week. I have no reason to believe that the 8642 operates any differently from the 8300, so the tips should work. Just keep the coax cable disconnected until the HDD spins down or the unit feels cooler.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts