Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feb. 19/11

Hello,

I had a problem today that I'd never encountered; a pink screen when I turned on the tv (and digital 8300HD digital pvr). Thought I'd write the solution that worked, for this time anyway, in case anyone is in the same boat.

Unfortunately, the explanation as to why it happened is better left to the technically knowledgable. The PVR had changed from the time to HD or 5D when it was off. Not sure if it was the HDMI or the powersave mode, but something went awry after I turned it off last night. Here's the solution the Rogers telephone tech helped me with:

1. First the old standby: rebooting the pvr to see if that works (unplug pvr, wait 10 sec., plug back in, wait a few moments after the reboot word goes away, turn on the box and little power light will come on.)

2. Make sure your tv is on and then on your PVR box, press the Guide and Info buttons at the same time until the screen gives you the option of pressing the triangle A button on your remote for standard mode or, it will then change to give you the option of pressing the B on your remote for HD mode. PRESS B (just wait a moment for this).

3. I'm doing this from memory, so hope this is next - it may then ask you to proceed with set-up, or choose whether you have wide screen or standard screen. Choose your tv screen and proceed.

4. It then asks you to choose which mode (1080i, etc.) fits your screen. It asks you to select Enter when the screen mode fits, or B to choose the next option. You can cycle through to find the best screen, then press Enter.

5. It will then ask you to press enter to deselect your choice or B to try the next option again. If you're finished and have chosen the mode with the best screen fit, press Exit on your remote.

6. It then asks you to press the power button to go to viewing the tv. If your tv turns off after pressing power (the red PWR button on your remote), just turn it back on & things should be normal.

Hope this helps, folks!

Tammy

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
Thanks - All covered in the SA FAQ:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719

Check out the following post - useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

The pink colour is almost always an indication of a poor connection - which sometimes resolves itself by rebooting, moving the PVR, etc. The main culprit is usually a poor electrical connection which is best resolved by unplugging/replugging the HDMI cable a few times at both ends.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112 HDMI FAQ, Things to check.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi 57,

I appreciate your post & recommendation for threads. My problem is, as a beginner, I often find the threads are often quite technical, and I can't interpret much of the info included. I skip through enough to find simple words or references that match my problem, while trying to minimize extensive searching. I read through a number to find possible fixes, but didn't find one that worked & had to call Rogers. I hope I might be able to simplify it for someone with this specific problem.

Thanks, 57, for your recommendation for the other links. The suggestion that it might be a faulty connection might have been applicable for us, too, as I tightened all our connections before doing the redoing the 'set-up' above.

Thanks again,
Tammy

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had the same pink-screen issue with my 8300hd about a month or two ago.

The 8300 is hooked up using component, and from the weird colours I assumed that one of the three video component cables was loose, but no, they were all fine.

My young daughter had been playing with the remote, and I think she may have changed something in settings menu.

Long story short, hard reboot did nothing, and then setup wizard fixed it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Willowdale,

Yes, it seemed to be something redoing the pvr 'set-up' fixed easily. I wondered if I also hit something on the remote without knowing it! Must have been a quick hit, though, as everything seemed ok when I turned it off the night before.

Regards,

Tammy

·
Registered
260 Posts
Boo-Ya.

I thought for sure the Component Out ports on my 8300 (which I own) had gone out. The screen worked fine on my HDMI but was pink on any Component Input I plugged into on the TV. I was all prepared thinking I had to go out and buy HDMI cables and a splitter since my TV has only 1 HDMI port in and a device already on it. Guess it was just Rogers buggering with the OS on my box again.

Reviving an old thread I know...but Thanks all around. You saved me $80 - $100.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts