Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 8300 HD PVR for about 3 years now with the occasional problem (missed recording, recordings broken into chucks, etc), but all were minor or addressed glitches.

The problem started a week ago when I turned on my PVR and it wouldn't even load any data. I couldn't see any of the TV listings and the picture and sound was freezing every few seconds.

After talking with the technical support, they said my connection was perfect. We did a few reboots, but it didn't get any better. The tech also reset my connection. That helped as the menu came back. But the freezing was still occuring. Sometimes it would be every 5 seconds and sometimes it wouldn't happen for a few hours and no channel is exempt from this. There's no rhyme or reason to the pattern of freezing. The freezing is happening on live TV and recordings. Also some recordings will stop prematurely. This is killing me as I'm missing out on football playoffs!

I've tried warm and cold reboots and I'm going to try formatting the HD. I've tried switching HDMI cable and tried two sets of RGB cables. The next step is to try formatting the hard drive.

It sounds like a failing HD issue... but I'm just not 100% sure since the problem started when the menu wouldn't load. Maybe the problem is still external to my PVR... Any thoughts?

If the format doesn't work then the next step would be to replace the HD, but I don't want to replace if there is nothing wrong with it.

·
Super Moderator
56,524 Posts
Failing HDD, or heat buildup if it's not in a well-ventillated location.? Start by reformatting the iHDD. If that doesn't work, then you can try replacing the iHDD with a 500GB WD PATA.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did buy a new TV stand.. well new TV too about 5 weeks ago. The TV stand had enclosed compartments, but I took the PVR and PS3 from the enclosed compartments. There should be no heating issues. The was a good 2 week gap between the time I took it out of the enclosed TV stand and when the problems started happening. Though I wouldn't rule out that was the cause or part of the cause.

Just wondering why all the WD 500GB (WD5000AAKB) drives are still $85+? Is it because of the 8300s keeping them in demand?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine was set on an open shelf (not enclosed), and I was having all sort of problems (random reboots, extreme lags when pressing buttons, info missing...). I installed a PC fan on it to extract hot air and haven't had a problem since. I thought too it was an HDD problem, but now it's working fine, without changing anything else.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually built an extension to my TV stand to make it higher. The back and front are open and there is a lot of room above the unit too. The unit seems cool, but I guess I could put a fan in there for added protection.

Update:

I went to Canada Computers at 8:02pm and they were closed. Snow storm did me in. Went home and watched all my recordings I haven't seen yet (or at least the watchables ones) and then started the format process. I watched for about 30 minutes and didn't notice any freezing.

Maybe it was dumb luck that I didn't buy the HHD last night. But I will monitor it some more. If the freezing comes back, then it's time to get the HHD.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

Tuesday night was really bad. Losts of freezing. I tried formatting again. Was good for a few hours little bit, then the freezing came back.

Yesterday, I went and got a new drive. Installation was super easy using Ghosts instructions. Finally got a chance to use the torx bits in my screwdriver bit set. Once the rebooting finished, everything worked perfectly. In fact, I never noticed how slow the menu moved before. Now the remote response is much quicker!

Thanks everyone.

rfig - I'm thinking of adding some additional fans (just in case). How did you make yours? Did you make one which is self powered or one that is built in with the PVR? In another forum, someone posted instructions on how to make USB fans for a PS3 which turn on when the PS3 is turned on. I figure something like this can be made for the PVR too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
JoeyJoeJoe,
I simply used a PC case fan, bought from TigerDirect (Ultra ULT40136 Silent 80mm Case Fan - Dual Ball Bearing, Silent, 1800 RPM, 23.15 CFM, 20.4 dBA)

It uses the same molex connector that powers the internal HDD, through the use of an adapter (included with the fan)

I cut a hole on top of the box (using a Dremmel rotary tool with a steel cutting disc) and used an 80mm case fan grill (ebay) to cover it. The fan is hidden inside the box, it's very quiet (don't buy a cheap, noisy one). Read my previous posts here. One of them contains a link to a page with pictures, including the adapter I used.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15719&page=44

This alone solved all my problems and cost me less than $20, plus an hour or so of work.
Hope this helps!!

RFIG

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just wondering why all the WD 500GB (WD5000AAKB) drives are still $85+? Is it because of the 8300s keeping them in demand?
Sata drives are the norm now. Pata drives are not in demand much anymore.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been having problems with my 8300HD PVR and have been following your thread. I purchased and installed a fan same as you and my unit worked for 10 days and then failed again. It is freezing very often now. I don't know where to buy a new drive or if I should.
Citpecs

·
Super Moderator
56,524 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Open up the box and unplug the power connector to the hard disk.
Put the cover back on and connect it back to your TV.
It will take longer to boot as it adapts to the HD now being "gone".
If the image freezing goes away, your disk is likely bad.

I bought a WD5000AVJB as replacement for my failed disk and it works well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts