Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the situation:

We had a SD PVR from Rogers (when they were available). It died. We went to get it replaced and all they had was the HDPVR. Since we didn't have an HD TV we were told that it would display in SD no problem. It's been working great.

We recently bought an HDTV and hooked it up to the PVR using the HDMI port.

I turned it on and set it up for the different display types as the instructions said to set up the HD. My TV supports all the formats. No problem.

I look through the guide to find an HD channel that we are subscribed to. We, apparently, aren't authorized to get HD.

On the phone we go to Rogers. After 90minutes of calling different people and getting transferred from dept. to dept. I *FINALLY* got an answer.

Apparently the HD capability of the box has been removed and I have to replace the box at a Rogers store. My question to them was, "Why can't you give the box the capability from there?" Her response is that the computer sees the serial number on the box as an SD unit, not an HD unit and it won't even try.

My next question was why they can't remove the box from the account, and put it back in as an HD box? I'm sure they can do the same thing the store can do. They have the serial number, and that's really all they need. She said that the software to give it the HD capability has been completely removed. What's odd is that I can get SportsNet HD and TLCHD, so I know that this isn't quite true.

Tech support sent me to retail setup, to setup a new box, and they refused to do it because it wasn't a new setup (I'm guessing that this is what needs to happen, but the guy wouldn't do it. I was transferred to Customer Care where I got the final 'solution'.). I still don't believe it. I've never had this problem with Rogers before now.

Can anyone help me? I'm afraid to take this thing into Rogers to have the exact same problem occur. I have a girlfriend getting mad at me because the picture doesn't look any better than the old TV. I have it set for passthrough mode, and the picture is marginally better, but only receiving 480p with a 1080p TV is lame.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
I have long ago learned that it's difficult to push on a rope. If it's not too much trouble, go to a Rogers outlet and exchange the PVR. They might even give you an 8642 instead of an 8300... Although one would think it's a simple matter of a number change in a computer, it may not be that simple once a number is designated as SD, not HD. Either certain authorization codes would be required, or may not even be available to make such a switch in the computer (for whatever reason - like mistakenly changing a box from SD to HD)

Are you renting this PVR? Will the charges be different after the exchange?

Here's a post useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search tips, Optimization, etc.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a rental and there is no charge. Although they mentioned something about a $400 credit because I haven't been able to use the HD even if I could. That's weird.

My first goal is to get the HD up and running. $500 is a lot of money to spend on an HDTV to run SD.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts