Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

8300HD no audio on 519 - what gives?

6K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Jeff146 
#1 ·
Hi All,

This is my forst post but long time reader. I've had my 8300 for just about a year now (had a rental for 2 years before I bought this one) All has been fine since I bough this unit but about 8 weeks agao I suddenly lost audio fro chanel 519 CityTV HD. Reebooting/resetting has no affect. Several calls to Rogers gets me nowhere. Rogers insists everthing is fine on their end and I would think if it was a feed issue many people would be complaining.

The picture is fine, also no audio when recording the channel. I have the 8300 conected vis HDMI to an AVR then to my Samsung PLasma.

I find it so odd that every other chanel is fine. I have yet to chek the anolog audio output.

Any ideas?

#2 ·
This is a long shot but can you confirm that you are getting sound from your left and right speakers when playing other channels?

The reason for this question relates to a recent experience. I was trying to setup my universal remote to switch between audio on the TV and AVR. When doing some tests I found that a few recorded programs did not produce sound from the AVR when DD was selected, but would produce it with Other or HDMI. I first suspected HDMI issue from the PVR and even rewired using component video cables. I finally realized that there was no sound from the left and right speakers.

The source was a disconnected speaker wires which resulted in the left and right channels being disabled in the AVR. Fortunately a system reset got it going again.

Bottom line was that the few recordings that did not produce sound were broadcasting stereo sound only, not DD.

If the above is not the problem, try using a digital audio connection between the PVR and the AVR.

#4 ·
Go into the first setup screen and look for the audio language. It might be set to something other than English. Rogers enables this setting for channels that have SAP or dual language (like the Chinese/Mandarin channels or CPAC with English/French) It might be enabled for City HD and set for a channel that CIty is not using. That's my guess for this one.

#6 ·
are you doing this with a receiver and if so what is the model number?

I have a problem with no audio (or unrecognizable) with my receiver on some of the channels such as Citytv, Speed, Sportsnet, etc in HD and it stopped working as it worked before. If i change to ProLogic II it works. Seems my receiver is one that can't deal with the Dolby flags that cause self-mute.

I'm looking at upgrading to a new receiver possibly but need to confirm that this is the issue.

Rogers was clueless on this and suggested switching the box at the time I asked them about this and gave up after finding a work around (PL II setting) for now. I didn't think it was the cable box because it decoded Dolby Digital on other channels such as CTV HD.

I had a problem a number of years ago on TMN HD and Astral fixed the problem on their end when I was watching a season of the Sopranos and no sound was present. They fixed it by changing the way the signal was decoded. Rogers couldn't be bothered with their properties (CityTV, Sportsnet (and I imagine Speed feed)).

#11 ·
Okay so I tried the --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try Settings->Settings-->Digital Audio--->Other and see if it produces the sound. If it does then you seem to experiencing the same problems as the people such as myself that are describing in the "stuttering" thread.

I Now have sound on 519, but of course no surround now ?!?!?! :( on any channel...

#12 ·
Perhaps your HTIB uses the Cirus Logic chipset like my receiver.... hopefully to be fixed soon with new receiver I picked up.

This HTIB looks fairly new but perhaps these chips filtered down to the cheaper equipment or a the chipset is effected.

This is old just like my 7 year old receiver, but it was a know issue and I`m pretty sure I`ll be okay with the new receiver that I haven`t hooked up yet.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/106793/onlyo-tx-ds-797-dolby-dropout-help

The problem involves the Cirrus Logic 49300 chip sets and has been reported in the following receivers and processors: Denon AVR-1602, AVR-1802; Integra DTR-5.2, DTR-6.2, DTR-7.2 and DTR-8.2; Intetra Research RDC-7; Kenwood VR-510, KRFX-9050D; Lexicon MC-12; Onkyo TX-DS595, TX-DS696,TX-DS797, TX-DS898, TX-DS989, and TX-L5; Outlaw Audio 105

Perhaps it is an issue with non-HDMI as I`m currently using Digital Coax and not optical but will be using HDMI soon.

#16 ·
I've experienced the problem before my last move in mid-2008, so probably around Jan/Feb 2008 and I didn't have time to investigate it as I was preparing to move.

When I moved in and got the receiver finally hooked up I noticed the problem at my new place which are several km apart.

Called Rogers out and explained that it was only on certain channels (can you confirm it is on more than CityTVHD - 519?): Citytv HD, SportsnetHD, Speed HD, NBCHD and maybe a couple of others and when any of these signals are simulsubb'd such as when CityTV went onto ABC or CBS for some awards show.

Rogers tech came out and I explained it isn't my Dolby decoder as it works for other channels such as CTV HD, TMN (when I had it - except for one of the Sopranos seasons which TMN addressed by changing the encoding to not use the Dolby EX flag) and flawless on DVDs and BluRays.

Needless to say I gave up as there was no convincing them.

I picked up a new AVR just before New Years and will be imminently hooking up to my setup so I hope this will be resolved and not have to call Rogers up and ask WTF again? I got the receiver for HD codecs (DTS HD MA, Dolby TruHD, etc) but hopefully it resolves this too.

If this isn't resolved after this I'll be majorly pissed and expect them to come out and fix whatever signal issues, etc

#18 ·
FIXED for me

I just completed the basic installation of my new Denon AVR-4310CI receiver (still need to wire up the 7.1 speakers and setup Audessey) and I HAVE SOUND BACK on the various channels that STOPPED WORKING thanks to ROGERS changes in early 2008 prior to me moving out of my condo.

In early 2008 (and on other new channels in 2008/2009), I noticed the audio stopped working on these channels:
- CityTV HD (519) (Rogers owned channel)
- SportsNet HD (502, 503, 504, 505) (Ontario - prior to the new channels - and including the other SportsNet HD channels that were added) (Rogers owned channel)
- Speed HD (512) (I believe Rogers sources this as Canadian distributor)
- Omni 1 & 2 HD (520, 530) (Rogers owned channel)

along with these other non Rogers assets HD channels
- HDNBC (524)
- CBC News Network (News World) (544)
and perhaps a few others that I didn't have (subscription).

I suspect that Rogers put all of their channels along with some others onto new distribution hardware (back in 2008?) that implements the Dolby EX flags that my receiver and a few other hardware could not interpret properly with various source material (Jurassic Park III, Sopranos season on TMN had an issue until Astral fixed it for me and now these HD channels).

Anyway now I know it wasn't the cable receiver and rather the AV Receiver that I was planning on upgrading due to 7.1 support and HD audio support, HDMI switching, etc

#19 ·
Sound on 519 (7) Citytv doesn't work for HDMI but works for coaxial cable

Sound on 519 (7) Citytv doesn't work for HDMI source on PVR 8300. But when I switch to a coaxial cable as the source the sound works. TV - Calypso 32"LED

1 year older (but same make) PVR 8300 on 47" LG LCD and 519 sound works. I don't get it!

Any other suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.