Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 356 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Upgrade Problem

I am trying to upgrade my internal hard drive of my recently purchased Rogers SA8300HD box, with the following components:

WD Cavair Green 750GB 16MB/SATA-3G (TSD-750AYPS)
Sabrent SBT-STDB / HW-629D rev 3 chip set - IDE to Serial ATA adapter

On the initial restart, I do recall seeing the message:

HDDf

which I assumed was formatting of the hard disk, but after that I got numerous reboots 20-30 times, with pattern:

Code:
    - ^ v -
    Er55
    FrLA
    A Hex count down
    Proc
    boot
I have not been able to track down what Error code 55 means, or what FrLA means.

I have played around with the jumper settings, and I believe I have them correct. I started, with the default, which was none set. I have also tried 1-3, as well as 1-3 and 2-4 together. The back of the board lists the following configurations.
Code:
--------------------------
      JP20 JUMP
--------------------------
   NC    |  MASTER
  2-4    |  SLAVE
1-3, 2-4 |  CABLE SELECT
I would have expected 1-3/2-4 to work, but I have no love.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks
<david />

·
Super Moderator
56,566 Posts
IF the WD "Green" means that the HDD spins down after some time of inactivity, then this could be a source of the problem. I know that for external HDDs, you cannot use ones that do this (spin down), but I'm unsure about internal drives. Others should have more feedback for you shortly.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I was thinking the same thing as 57 when I read the post.

WD's Green line uses power management to reduce power consumption during periods of inactivity. This would certainly be a bad idea in an external drive, which is why I avoided the Green line and instead chose a drive from WD's Caviar Blue line for my external drive. I don't know for sure that the same restriction applies to the SA8300HD's internal drive, but I'd suspect that it might.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
If you read back to my earlier posts in this thread, you will notice that I am using the WD10EACS 1TB drive for my testing which is part of their Green product line. The WD Green products achieves it's power savings using a few different methods but it does not spin down to conserve power. WD Green drives have also been used by others as external drives with no problems.

I also tried the Sabrent SBT-STDB adapter and it didn't work for me either. I suspect that the adapter is your problem. Until recently, I was using the RXD 629A 2008 adapter with the WD10EACS as well as a IDE-SATA04 adapter with a WD5000AAKS. The RXD 629A 2008, which uses the SunPlus chip, worked well for a period of time but became very unreliable. The IDE-SATA04, which uses the JMicron chip, has performed up much better. As a result, I gave up on the RXD 629A 2008 and would not recommend the use of any adapter that uses the SunPlus chip which includes the Sabrent that you tried.

I currently have the IDE-SATA04 adapter paired with the WD10EACS Green drive and this combination seems to be working very well so far. The last time I had an 8300HD open, I took a closer look at the chip used for the eSATA conversion and it appears to be the Marvell chip. The Marvell chip is used on the IDE-SATA01 adapter which I suspect would be the best choice for an internal SATA drive. The problem with the IDE-SATA01 and IDE-SATA04 is trying to get one at a reasonable cost. I got lucky with the IDE-SATA04 which I found for sale on eBay.

In the "Internal Disk Upgrade" thread, nbmz used a different type of adapter which also worked.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=844862&postcount=344

It would be useful to get some long term use feedback on this method.

So based on my experience so far, it is clear that the type of adapter used is the key to success. An adapter using the Marvell chip would probably be the first choice and JMicron second. The SunPlus chip should be avoided.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Update

I've been using the IDE-SATA04 with the WD 1TB Green drive for the past 4 weeks and I have experienced only one aborted recording during that time. In that one occurrance, I hit the FF three times in quick Succession which caused a momentary freeze. The recording in progress ended at the time when the freeze occurred. Otherwise, the overall performance has been quite good. I have pretty much been using it as I normally would and that includes deleting programs from the recorded list and adding programs to the schedule while recordings are in progress. The only thing I try to avoid is hitting the FF or REW buttons too quickly. I'm still planning to try the IDE-SATA01 at some point if I can find one.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The only thing I try to avoid is hitting the FF or REW buttons too quickly.
Just FYI for comparison: I routinely watch recorded HD shows and frequently use FF and REW while concurrently recording two HD shows. I've never had a problem. I have not upgraded the internal drive but I do have an external drive attached.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
It's generally not an issue when using an internal PATA or external SATA. I also used an external SATA at one point for more than a year and never had such problems. In my case, it's associated with the PATA/SATA adapter.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I purchased this PVR over the holidays and returned my rented unit. However, before returning the rental, I noticed that it was an earlier revision model manufactured in 2005 while my new unit was a revision 2.9 model manufactured in Nov 2008. I'm not sure if the revision changes are just firmware updates or actually involve any hardware updates but this might be something to track, especially when it comes to different experiences with the same SATA adaptor.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I haven't tried that one yet but I did look into it at one point. I got in touch with the Addonics tech support and they told me that they were currently shipping with the Marvell 88SA8052 chipset which is a good thing. However, I asked for some measurements and they told me that the distance from the SATA connector to the edge of the board on the right side was 1/2 inch. The adapters that I've used so far have the SATA connector closer to the edge and they fit with only a few mm's to spare. My concern was that the Addonics adapter would be shifted to the right and that the case of the 8300HD would interfere. For that reason, I decided to pass on this particular adapter. But if you have a local source of this adapter and can return it easily, then it would be worth a try.

BTW, I am still using the IDE-SATA04 adapter together with the WD10EACS Green drive. In the 2 1/2 months since I went with this combination, I can only recall perhaps two occasions when a recording had been terminated early. Perhaps once a week I'll experience a freeze for a second or two but otherwise, it's been performing very well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
LesE,

I have one of the earlier model ADSAIDE's. It fits well, but I tried using a WD10EADS drive with it and it stutters like hell. Since it's the only adapter I've purchased I'm thinking it's the adapter and not the drive. BTW it looks IDENTICAL (with the exception of the Marvel model#).

The chipset is a Marvel 88SA8040-TBC1, and seems to be an earlier revision based on the one you mentioned. I just ordered the newest ADSAIDE and will see if it corrects the stutter issue.

Thanks for sharing your discoveries.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I haven't tried that one yet Jake. It's anyone's guess as to how well it will work but if the reviews on Newegg are any indication, then I wouldn't be too optimistic.

I finally managed to get my hands on an IDE-SATA01 adapter with the Marvell 88SA8040 chip. I had high hopes for this one but unfortunately, the performance was very poor. Although the PVR did recognize the drive, it would freeze momentarily every 10 seconds or so and wouldn't record at all. On the other hand, the IDE-SATA04 continues to work reasonably well.

So, the search continues.

·
Registered
751 Posts
My understanding is that the PVR uses an IDE to SATA converter chip to provide the eSATA external drive connection. If one could find an IDE to SATA adapter that uses this same part, presumably this would have the best chance of working well.

Unfortunately, the last time I had my unit open I didn't spend any time looking to see if this chip exists and what its part number is. Perhaps some ambitious person wishes to do so.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
That's why I had such high hopes for the IDE-SATA01 - it uses the same Marvell chip as the one that's inside my 8300HD. Clearly, there's more to it than just the type of chip used.

·
Super Moderator
11,135 Posts
LesE I also found the newegg reviews disappointing. My only question was it seemed some people were attaching IDE devices to SATA controllers. I am pretty sure they would have better luck attaching a SATA device to an IDE controller. But as you said without one to try it is anyones guess. If the IDE-SATA04 was not so rare I would just buy that one.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Even with the IDE-SATA04, there's no guarantee that it will work. I believe that the one I have is an older version which has a different physical appearance as compared to the newer ones. So, it's possible that the design may have changed as well. Furthermore, the IDE-SATA04 is no longer on the manufacturer's web site so it appears that it may have been discontinued.

http://www.ioisata.com/products/Bridge-Board/

The IDE-SATA20 shown on their site uses the same JMicron chip as the IDE-SATA04 so it may be the replacement product.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
So far, the IDE-SATA04 has been the best adapter I've used. I wish I could say with 100% confidence that the one from SataGear will do the trick for you but I can't since it's a different version than the one I have. Here is the pic of mine that you can compare to the one from SataGear.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=830843&postcount=31

Both use the same JMicron chip but it is possible that design had also changed along with the physical layout. I may have just gotten lucky with the one I found on eBay.

41 - 60 of 356 Posts