Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 356 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,136 Posts
I see what you mean. I found the bulk of the listings contained either,

WLX-A2S223-1 or RXD 629A 2008 printed on the board.

·
Registered
385 Posts
As with many of the USB PCI cards sold on-line, they are likely all made by just two or three manufacturers and are intended to be branded later. That's why so many brands are actually the same electronics, just with different shells, packaging and branding.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Looking through ebay for these PATA SATA adapters, I think it would be useful to have some references on this forums to the ones that appear to work well. There are a lot of generic products in there - is it against forum policy for LesE to list out ebay item numbers on here, or show us the actual one he got that works well?

I'm still debating going with this route with a larger SATA drive vs. the "safe" PATA 500GB drive route with no adapter.

·
Super Moderator
11,136 Posts
No links to Ebay are allowed unless it is a post in the Digital Deals forum. In fact I recommend we start a Digital Deal thread and I will link it to this thread in post 1. The reason being this thread would be inundated with "deal" posts and the technical posts would be buried. Just list the product number. Even the generics have product numbers printed on the board.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Here are some better pics of the adapters that I am currently using. Printed on the PCB is "RXD 629A 2008".

I picked up another adapter on eBay yesterday. This one has a model # IDE-SATA04 which I believe is a Cooldrives model. This one uses the Jmicron JM20330 Serial ATA bridge Controller and I will be testing that one at some point.

Slyboy, it's probably still too early to provide a firm recommendation of this configuration so if you decided to try it at this point, it would be experimenting. It would be great to hear about the experiences of others but if you want to be safe, then PATA is still the way to go.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanks for the comments LesE and Jake.
It's not that I want to be safe, but the lack of availability of affordable SATA to PATA converters in local stores, and my self-set time requirements for doing this upgrade have prompted me to buy PATA.

I went to four local computer shops, none of which being the big-name big-box guys. One shop had one generic brand of these adapters which was not as good as the one LesE is showing. The one I saw required a floppy to 4-pin IDE power connector so it wasn't as compact as LesE's model, AND it would have been $24 with tax. Too much for a device that could very well be faulty, and it was the ONLY device of this type I found.

LesE is doing this right - this is the sort of purchase you need to go for a low-cost (low-risk) purchase off Ebay. The device really needs to be under or around $10 to make it worth it in my opinion. So I settled for the WD5000AAKB drive.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The Coolgear adapter photo does not seem to have a setting for Cable Select,
which I thought was necessary for the internal PATA HDD.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I would think that if the adapter doesn't have a jumper then it has not choice but to act as Cable Select. Keep in mind that jumpers have been removed from SATA drives - there is no requirement for them. The jumpers that exist on some of these drives are only for PATA compliance. In a single drive setup like these Rogers PVRs I don't think having a jumper or not plays a role. The thing I would be most concerned about is the reliability of the chipset on the circuit board as it is what will control the transfer of data across the two bus types (PATA cable to SATA hard drive).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
It's been a couple of weeks since the last update so here's the latest. During the past 2 weeks, I did experience one early terminated program. This time, it occurred when I was deleting a program from the list while recording another show. In all cases up to now, the problem has always occurred when the internal drive was being accessed as a program was being added to the schedule or a program was being deleted. Although the adapter that I'm currently using is much better than the previous one, it's not 100% reliable.

I'm currently working on emptying my 500G external drive (WD5000AAKS) which I hope to get done by the weekend. I will then install it into my second 8300HD using the IDE-SATA04 adapter that I just received so I will have two internal SATA drives under test.

Here's what it looks like:

More updates to follow.

·
Super Moderator
11,136 Posts
Thanks LesE again for the update. A few 1TB drives went on sale last week and it was tempting me.

So to summarize:

Your first adapter (RXD 629A 2008) appeared to be defective. Second adapter (RXD 629A 2008) experienced occasional aborted recordings. Third adapter (IDE-SATA04) only experienced one aborted recording.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Just to recap, I started with the first adapter (RXD 629A 2008) and experienced five aborted recordings during a period of roughly three weeks. I then switched to a second adapter (RXD 629A 2008) where I experienced only one aborted recording in a four week period. I have not tried the IDE-SATA04 adapter yet. I plan to install it in my second 8300HD this weekend along with a WD5000AAKS SATA drive. So, the test configurations will be:

8300HD #1 - Adapter: RXD 629A 2008 Drive: WD10EACS

8300HD #2 - Adapter: IDE-SATA04 Drive: WD5000AAKS

I also have a third RXD 629A 2008 adapter that I can use in case the IDE-SATA04 turns out to be a dud. If neither of the above configurations turn out to be satisfactory, I will try the WLX-A2S223-1 type adapter next.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Good luck LesE,

In order to follow the logic, did you turn down the acoustic level before starting test 1 and are they still off in this next test.

Ruby

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yesterday, I managed to successfully clone the drive in PVR #2 to a WD5000AAKS and install the SATA drive together with the IDE-SATA04 adapter. Initial tests went well so we'll see how it does in longer term use.

All of the drives used during testing have had the acoustic management turned on and set to 128. This includes the initial WD3200KS as well as the WD10EACS (1TB) and WD5000AAKS (500GB) drives that are currently under test.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It's been a while since my last update so I thought I'd check in. Nothing much has changed since the last update and I still experience the odd recording getting cut off on both 8300HD's. For the most part, it seems to happen when a recording is deleted. So going forward, I will refrain from deleting recordings while new recordings are in progress. For myself, I consider it to be a reasonable tradeoff.

In the meantime, I came across a thread on a UK forum for the Topfield PVR where they have also been discussing the use of SATA to PATA adapters with their PVR's. It appears that they have had the most success using adapters with the Marvell 88SA8040 chip which is used on the IDE-SATA01 adapter. That's one that I will want to try as well at some point. The adapters that I am currently using have the JMicron and SunPlus chips.

Here's an example of an adapter that uses the Marvell chip.

http://www.coolgear.com/images/IDE-SATA01.jpg

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hello LesE,

I think I will wait a wee bit before trying it out although the issue you have is not a major one but I think that with pata starting to be rare, they will put more resources on adapters and they will keep on getting better.

Thanks for the update, you did a great job describing what is happening.

Question, with the new adapter, if something is being recorded and at the same time you go into the guide to program another recording, is it still causing the deletion as reported before or it's only when you delete that it causes the problem.

regards

Ruby

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Hello Ruby,

Other than the initial experience with the first adapter which didn't perform very well, I haven't experienced any problems when adding, editing or removing programs from the schedule through the IPG. However, I have been seeing some new problems appear on 8300HD #1 in the past few days. On a couple of occasions during playback, I've had a program suddenly jump back roughly 1 min and replay what I just watched. At first I thought it was the source but when I rewound and replayed, it didn't happen again. This week, I have also had two instances when recorded programs ended early when I wasn't using the PVR. I also tried changing the options on the drive to SATA 1 to see if that would make a difference but it didn't.

On the otherhand, 8300HD #2 continues to work well. I haven't had any problems in the past few weeks. However, I should mention that 8300HD #2 doesn't get used as much as #1 which is in my HT.

After reading through some of the threads on the Topfield PVR Forum (both UK and AU forums), I decided to order a Sabrent SBT-STDB adapter. It seems that those guys are having good success with those adapters. We'll see.

Les.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Les,

Thanks, you'll end up by getting it together :)

I would give you an A+ for perseverance.

I'm sure you will update us at one point, I think you just ruined Jake's christmas, 1 tera sitting under the tree.

Ruby

21 - 40 of 356 Posts