Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

341 - 356 of 356 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm in the same boat as Jake, but I was thinking the same thing just the other day when someone on here reached out to me for advice on their Rogers PVR upgrade. The flip side to this comment is that it's a little disheartening that Rogers still has these units in circulation given that they are very dated now.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The flip side to this comment is that it's a little disheartening that Rogers still has these units in circulation given that they are very dated now.
Why not? They're infinitely more reliable and trouble-free than the newer NextBox 2 and 3 PVRs. Rogers is no longer selling or renting the 8300s because they're all gone. I suppose if existing rental 8300s fail, they'll get replaced with NB2 PVRs, but why fix what's not broken if the replacement may just cause more aggravation?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
oldyellr beat me to what I was going to say :)

While dated... one of the reasons they are not sold anymore.. that hardware, etc is getting harder to find for them, etc.

They GENERALLY have been more stable, firmware, etc wise, than the NB2 / 3

·
Registered
416 Posts
Perhaps I should rephrase.... it's disheartening that Rogers is still using problematic hardware for their PVRs. The 8300HD works (if you have a reliable hard drive) but it's so basic in terms of a recorder - that's all I'm saying. I agree with you guys who are keeping your units going and not letting go of them, don't get me wrong. It would have been nice to see Rogers using modern, reliable hardware with an excellent UI, but their idea of that is the NextBox and from what is being said here it falls short, hence why all you guys are still trying to keep your 8300HD or 8642HD units working.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Because not everyone is Ready, capable or able to completely get rid of everything?

Not everyone is comfortable with the full cord cutting setup, etc.
Not everyone has access either technology wise, location, etc to set up all the alternatives.
May not be easy means to gain access to some stuff they DO watch.

Sometimes, getting a cable/satellite.. regardless of how BAD the box is.. is still the right choice.

None of the companies / providers, seem to have a 100% working 100% great device... each has their own downfalls.

·
Super Moderator
11,136 Posts
I am going to assume that in the subsequent years the newer boxes surpassed the recording capacity, uses newer codecs and 1 and 2TB drives are standard now.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I feel like I've somehow annoyed gdkitty with my comment and that was not my intention. I'm not saying everyone should cut the cord just because I did; I know it's not the right choice for everyone. Rather what I'm saying is that by now, in 2014, I would have hoped (had I stayed with Rogers) that their PVRs would be more reliable AND more modern than they have turned out to be. The fact that people are complaining about and/or trying to avoid having to use a NextBox is evidence that others feel there are too many issues with that product. Hence why everyone on this thread are trying to keep their older 8300HD or 8642HD boxes alive.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The fact that people are complaining about and/or trying to avoid having to use a NextBox is evidence that others feel there are too many issues with that product. Hence why everyone on this thread are trying to keep their older 8300HD or 8642HD boxes alive.
You nailed it right there. The average Rogers cable customer is not a tech-savvy nerd who relishes the challenge of debugging the Nextbox 3. The 8300 is pretty much plug-and-play and with time shift channels, only being able to record 2 programs at once is not really an inconvenience. The hard drive going bad is a rare occurrence in computers and PVRs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Remove Hard Drive entirely

Don't know if this is the proper place to ask but I searched and can't find anything that pertains to my question.

Is it possible to remove the hard drive entirely from an 8300 so I can use it as an HD box only or do I need the hard drive for it to function?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
You need any size hard drive in the unit to function. IPG information is kept on the hard drive on these units and not on a flash ram/rom.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
I was going to say the same thing, but I'm not 100% sure that's the case as the unit will typically say something like "PVR functionality not available" if the iHDD fails, but will still tune channels.

After the firmware update that messed with some of the functionality of the IPG (only 2 days of "info" instead of 7) this may have changed, or there is little/no IPG, but you can tune to channels? I'm also not sure if the unit will continue to function, but not boot. The only way to know for sure is to try it for yourself.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I have heard of others saying they were able to still use it as a regular box.

As far as I know, all of them LEFT the dead HDD in there though.. not take it out completely.

May need a dead drive it there, to still come up with the 'pvr functions disabled', without ANYTHING it might not work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SA8300HD - disconnect hard drive?

Hi

My SA8300HD started making a horrible racket last night. It sounds like the hard drive is tearing itself apart. I bought the unit many years ago and it owes me nothing.

I hardly ever record shows any more, so I was wondering if I could just open up the box and disconnect the hard drive entirely? Would it work just like a regular cable box then?

I called a repair shop in Scarborough and they will replace the hard drive for $85, but I wonder if it's worth it. These things must be getting near obsolete now. Opinions?

Thanks

Paul

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
Welcome. Your post was moved to this thread where the topic was recently discussed (there's no way you could have known). Please read posts 349 onwards.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So It looks like my pvr box wont work unless the hard drive is there and I tried with having a dead drive but it wont boot up unless it has a proper hard drive....looks like I have to go hunting for some ide drives

341 - 356 of 356 Posts