Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've searched the forums and haven’t found any problem exactly the same as mine so any input would be appreciated.

I have a Panasonic DLP (PT-50DL54) and a SAT 8300HD PVR from Rogers. Originally I had the 8300 connected with component cables without any problems. When I switched to HDMI recently, again no problems at first, great picture - however I noticed that whenever the box switched between modes (such as from SD to HD channels) there was a delay (which also happened with components and makes sense) but there was the addition of coloured snow. That didn’t bother me at first because the snow would disappear after a sec or less and display the channel fine. However, once and a while the box when switching between modes will simply not display anything after the colored snow, no pic no sound just, black screen. If I switch the "stretch" setting or pull up the guide it will correct itself sometimes, but often I have to power off the box to correct it.

I have "HDMI" selected in the video output settings, and the problem never occurs when watching a channel, only when changing channels. This leads me to believe that it isn’t the HDMI cable itself or I would think the problem would happen randomly while watching or while changing channels. Also, I exchanged the 8300 to make sure it wasn’t defective and the same problem exists.

Has anyone experienced this problem or have any ideas?
- I've done the usual such as reboot the box, turn on the tv first, unplug the cable, switch ends of the cable, still the same issue.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
This is probably a bug somewhere the crops up when you switch between channels with different source resolutions. For example, HDABC broadcasts in 720p, and HDCBS broadcasts in 1080i.

It's really not possible to know whether the 8300 or the TV is at fault here.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a similar problem, not sure if its the exact same though. I have my 8300HD hooked up to my Samsung HLP5663W via HDMI, and occasionally when bringing up the IPG it will make a thump/static noise, flash the screen for a second, and then afterwards will display just a black screen (no sound, no picture). When this happens I need to reboot in order to reenable the HDMI output. It is very odd and appears to happen randomly... there were no problems via component, and HDMI works fine when watching channels so again I believe it has something to do with the switching occuring within the 8300. Any input on a possible fix would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Well, there's really nothing you can do about it but wait. If there's an implementation bug in the Samsung, there really isn't any easy way to fix it, so it would have to be addressed in SA's driver. Or, more likely, it's an implentation bug in SA's driver to begin with.

Either way, all you can do is wait and hope that future versions of SA's software will correct the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm using HDMI with a Sony and I also see a flash of static the first time I go into the guide after turning the unit on. I've suspected to this point that there is some kind of handshake going on between the box and the TV (possibly related to which starts first?) but haven't worried about it too much. It's only a minor nuisance in my case since after a brief second it goes back to the guide and all is well until the unit is turned off again (and the whole process repeats).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same problem here! Using SAMSUNG LT-P326W

I have Samsung 32" LCD Flat Panel TV hooked up to 8300HD via HDMI cable. Whenever switching from 1080i channel to 720P channel there is a thumping noise followed by blackout and most of the time there is no video until I go back to 1080i channel and come back to 720P channel. Sometimes I have to to this back and forth between channels a few times to get the video. On different occasions, I just lose the audio but video comes on. Since this issue is happening on on different brands and models of TVs, I am assuming this has something to do with the 8300HD.

One solution is to have a fixed output at either 720P or 1080i. Since I have a native resolution of 1280 x 768 in my LCD panel, I am trying to see if there is any difference in image quality at either resolution.

It really is hard to compare since I cannot do the side by side comparison.

Spuzzray

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Most people have found that the 1080i input provides a superior picture. Most channels are 1080i. Also, if you don't have an actual 720P display, if you chose 720P output (most LCDs are 768 or 788P), then a 1080i signal would get converted twice. If you choose 1080i as your output, there are fewer channels that get converted twice.

I have my STB set up to output all formats, however, I choose upconvert1, which then outputs 480P and 1080i only, making for faster "surfing".

When I want to, by simply selecting "passthrough" I can have 720P go out as 720P, etc. When finished "comparing" or "watching", I can easily select upconvert1 again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
With my HDMI to DVI cable I sometimes see the snow, but it only lasts a short time.

I use 480p, 720p and 1080i and all look good on my tv.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know I read it somewhere.....HDMI -> 1080i,720P,480P Widescreen only!

My 8300HD for some reason, able to send signal through HDMI on only one of the following three modes:

1080i, 720P and 480P Widescreen

remaining options
480P(4:3), 480i does not come through HDMI in my Samsung LT-P326W(32" LCD Panel).....

Is this the case for other TVs?

Through Component connection, I can get all of the resolutions. Therefore, if I enable all resolutions and enable upconvert1, I do not get the signal for non-HD channels since, as 57 stated, all non-HD channels get sent in 480P.

57, are you using HDMI connection?

Much appreciate your input on this....

Spuzzray

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Spuzzray said:
57, are you using HDMI connection?
Nope, my 3.5 year old TV doesn't have it. It seems that TVs differ as to what can be "received" via HDMI. There are some TVs that accept the whole range - 480i (digital, not analogue), 480P, 720P, 1080i, while others have issues with some formats.

The other thing that's weird is that most TVs require the 480i/p "standard" setup while others require 480i/p "widescreen".

·
Registered
9 Posts
After tinkering with all different combinations......

I have finally settled on unconvert1 setting with 1080i, 720P and 480P Widescreen enabled.

Now with this setting enabled, I am getting all signals upconverted to 1080i by my 8300HD, even the SD channels through HDMI connection.

Although I do not psychologiacally want to have my 8300HD upconvert the signal, I am fed up with constant "re-synching" of signals on my Sammy 32" LCD TV.

Now on to the Rogers HD content and picture quality.......When I had my HD DirecTV receiver hooked up to my Sony 36" HDTV almost 4 years ago, I had way more HD content then than I have with Rogers.....HDHBO, HDNet,HD Discovery, HDShowtime.....etc.

Canadian HD Discovery Channel is a joke.....to say the least.... and you know what? I had none of the issues with heavy compression artifacts that I am experiencing with HDTMN or any of the other HD channels including HD US networks!

I understand the economics of all things....but why? Why ruine such a marvelous technology trying to save a few megabytes of data?

I wonder if Bell or Starchoice compresses their HD signals as much as Rogers does!!!!

Spuzzray......anxiously waiting for one day that all available contents are on HD resolution.........Or even the day that 2K x 2K resolution quality content is everyday norm...........Sigh!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Spuzzray said:
I wonder if Bell or Starchoice compresses their HD signals as much as Rogers does!!!!
As has been said on numerous (numerous!) occasions before...Rogers does NOT (re)compress the HD channels. TMN, however, is wonky for one reason or another, so I'll leave that for another discussion.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Spuzzray said:
1. I have finally settled on unconvert1 setting with 1080i, 720P and 480P Widescreen enabled.

Now with this setting enabled, I am getting all signals upconverted to 1080i by my 8300HD, even the SD channels through HDMI connection.

2. I wonder if Bell or Starchoice compresses their HD signals as much as Rogers does!!!!
1. If you enable 480P STANDARD, you MAY be able to see the SD channels as 480P on upconvert1. If you enable 480i standard, you MAY even be able to see the SD (DIGITAL) channels or DVR recordings in 480i, using passthrough (auto-DVI/HDMI) since these are digital signals. This seems to depend on the TV, but you may wish to give it a try. See the Digital Home FAQ on Tips For SA STBs. For some reason the Samsungs are really weird about this. It's covered in another thread about Samsung and HDMI if you search for those keywords.

2. As mentioned above, Rogers doesn't compress the HD channels 501-531, they allocate the full 19.4 Mb/sec bandwidth for these channels. The channels themselves may use slightly less, depending on their format, whether they're multicasting, etc.

Actually *C & BEV have less bandwidth than Rogers and their HD channels ARE compressed to somewhere around 15 Mb/sec. I understand that the PQ of these channels is excellent.

We hope that the issues with TMN-HD are resolved soon, but TMN-HD sends exactly the same signal to BEV that they send to Rogers. I'm not sure about *C.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Actually *C & BEV have less bandwidth than Rogers and their HD channels ARE compressed to somewhere around 15 Mb/sec.
That doesn't necessarily mean that the transport stream is being further compressed though. Rogers is taking the entire off-air 8VSB signal and re-modulating it into a QAM signal. Technically, the Rogers signal includes not only the main channel, but any and all sub-channels too. The SA boxes are instructed to tune a particular sub-channel (usually .1). If ExpressVu and Star Choice strip out the HD transport stream and discard the rest, then that stream would very often be around 15Mb/s.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
JohnnyG said:
If ExpressVu and Star Choice strip out the HD transport stream and discard the rest, then that stream would very often be around 15Mb/s.
Also, I don't really care so much if a provider re-compresses their signals (aren't some of the US ones moving to MPEG-4?) as long as the quality is retained. Of course, 'the suits' idea of quality could be vastly different than our idea of quality.

What the hell was my point again? Oh...right, I didn't have one. (as per usual)

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I believe it's DirecTV who wants to move to MPEG4. Re-compressing leads to "re-compression artifacts", regardless of how high the quality (resolution and bit-rate) of the result.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
JohnnyG said:
I believe it's DirecTV who wants to move to MPEG4. Re-compressing leads to "re-compression artifacts", regardless of how high the quality (resolution and bit-rate) of the result.
Indeed...I forgot about that. Oh well, one less reason to want DirecTV I suppose.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts