Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8300HD is stuck in a strange boot loop. It displays boot on the display, then the a pattern something like this _|-|_|-|_ , then goes blank for a moment and starts the process again. I unplugged it for 30 seconds, and plygged it back in, and got the same thing. So I left it overnight, and it still does the same thing.

From what I've read, it looks like I might need to replace the hard drive.

I've seen other reports of that behaviour, but no reports that replacing the hard drive actually fixed the problem.

Is there a way that I can verify that the hard drive is faulty, before buying and replacing it? Sounds? It seems to spin up, but then stops, as the boot process starts up again.

·
Super Moderator
11,127 Posts
Remove the drive and check it with a PC is your starting point. I have seen drives fail but the box will still boot. So double check your coax cable connections. If necessary remove the box to get it as close to the source signal as possible. I.E. In the basement before all the splits.

·
Registered
455 Posts
During my cloning process I left the drive out of the 8300. Box worked normally except it reported a "problem with the hard drive" and said recording and playback was not possible at this time. Remove the drive and reboot. If it works normally that points to a drive problem. Drives are readily available. Just be sure to get a Western Digital PATA. They seem to perform best. If it still repeatedly reboots try another box at that same location. As the previous poster stated it could be a bad signal at that outlet.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's an interesting idea, to try without the HD at all. I was going to remove it anyway and pop it into a PC to see if it's still alive.

I have a another box on the same outlet which is fine, and I've had the same number of splits to that location for a few years. Something might have shifted to affect that signal recently so, I'll swap connections and see what happens.

Thanks for the tips. Replacing the hard drive seems like a relatively easy fix. If that's not the problem, what else could it be?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I could also be your signal strength. If you have a signal booster, check to make sure it is still plugged in. If it is the HD, you'll sometimes see an indication to this effect on the display.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Here's the FAQ on checking signal strength and S/N ratio. Just because one STB works, doesn't mean the other one will, even on the same connection since different strength may be required. Also, just because something worked in the past, doesn't mean it'll continue to work - jostling a wire can easily cause a loose connection, etc.

At least you can use your other STB to check (general) signal if the PVR won't boot. Also, remove any upstream splitters temporarily to get the best signal, or move the PVR as close as possible to the demarcation point where the cable comes into your home, as mentioned previously.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thought I'd post a follow up about how I've fared so far.

I swapped out the hard drive with spare one I had, and it seems the box has life again. I also plugged it in at the first split in the basement. After I powered it up it the display started doing the countdown, and then went black, but after a while the time came up. I don't have it plugged into a TV, but this is much better then flashing boot every 30 seconds.

I put the drive from the 8300 into a PC, and it recognized it, but there was no partition table. So I reformatted it, and I might plug it back in to see what happens. The old drive I had is only 80GB, so it's not a long term solution, and I don't know how well it will work, considering the performance variations I've read about for different drives.

I'll post how the original drive does when I plug it back in.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Constant Reboot

Do not know if this applies, but my PVR started rebooting on its' own last night. I called tech support and they said the 8300 PVRs were being updated and would be rebooting a number of times during the process. He had had a number of calls about this. After a number of reboots (5 or 6) everything seems OK again.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
^^^^
Last night, about 6:24, my 8300 PVR was not responding properly and then rebooted. At the same time, one of my 4250s also acted strange and rebooted. The other worked fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Constant Reboot

Our 8300 PVR went through a series of reboots starting about 8:00pm. Not the greatest time for Rogers to be updating the box. The reboots made recording a program impossible, and the show we were watching was not much fun.

Thanks to this forum I can save a call to Rogers and skip some problem analysis.

Good Forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts