Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying (for the first time) to archive some programs from my Rogers HDPVR to a VCR. I have 3 RCA cables connected from the output 2 on the HDPVR to inputs on my VCR. Next I go to the recorded list, select a program and choose "Copy to VCR". At this point, what happens is the program I am trying to record appears full screen on my monitor and the audio I get is from the TV station the PVR is tuned to - not the progarm I am trying to record.

I am unable to stop the recording and must re-boot. When I look at the tape of what I have recorded, there is only a blank screen and no audio.

Is this a firmware issue, or a cabling issue?

Any help/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just a thought to check the INPUT select of your VCR, to make sure that the input from the 3 composite cables from the PVR is properly selected. Check to see if your VCR has more than one INPUT possible, and this might help? There is usually a button on the front of the VCR or remote for INPUT, that cycles through the possible inputs when there is more than one possible, as on some of the higher end VCR's of yesterday. Check the VCR manual. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
The best way to check your connection to the VCR is by further connecting the VCR to the TV and monitoring that input, and not the input from the STB.

Remember that on your VCR you have to "tune" to the line input, sometimes called channel "0", or "line" or "input". I assume you've got the composite cable from the "VCR out" of the STB connected to the "VCR In" of the VCR.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Archiving Problem

I think that I'm OK with the connections and selecting the correct line in on the VCR.

I have a feeling that the problem may be with the PVR. When I press the "A" button to "Start Copy" - the program I'm trying to record comes on the screen and will not go away. I can't stop it, change channels or anything. I have to unplug the cable box and let it reboot. It does not seem to be outputting to the VCR either. Shouldn't I be able to see the program being recorded in a PIP box and also be able to watch other channels?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
smartcar8 said:
I think that I'm OK with the connections and selecting the correct line in on the VCR.

I have a feeling that the problem may be with the PVR. When I press the "A" button to "Start Copy" - the program I'm trying to record comes on the screen and will not go away. I can't stop it, change channels or anything. I have to unplug the cable box and let it reboot. It does not seem to be outputting to the VCR either. Shouldn't I be able to see the program being recorded in a PIP box and also be able to watch other channels?

Thanks again.
I believe the manual said that with the copy to vcr function there is no way to stop it and you must unplug as the only resort.

Not sure about the audio problem. There are 2 sets of audio outputs, have to listened to see if they both output the same audio?

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
I don't believe you have to unplug to stop the archive. You should be able to go to that archiving programme and hit the "stop" button.

·
Registered
167 Posts
smartcar8 said:

Thanks again.

Why not record a 5 minute program on the pvr and play around with that, recording to your VCR then you don't have to go through the rebooting each time you try to get it to work.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
57 said:
I don't believe you have to unplug to stop the archive. You should be able to go to that archiving programme and hit the "stop" button.
You can certainly do that on the 8000. But I heard complaints from the 8300 users that you couldn't do that when it first came out. But didn't the 8300 users get a firmware fix at the same time the 8000 users did recently (that finally enabled the Copy to VCR function?)

NIck

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
57 said:
The 8300HD always had the copy to VCR functionality. I've had no need to use it yet.
Were it not for a friend of mine who I regularily record stuff for, neither would I. And I can tell you, it's wonderful compared to the old way of intercepting the signal. Now I can copy something for someone else, at the same time I'm watching TV.

Nick

·
Registered
144 Posts
I really like this feature as well..only thing that is annoying is that once the pvr is finished copying the program to the vcr, it doesn't stop the vcr...the vcr will continue to record until you physically stop the vcr...it would be nice if it stopped the vcr from recording when finished...is this how everyone else is having to do it too...or am I missing something somewhere...

·
Registered
123 Posts
I use the "One touch" record function of my VCR.. if you hit it more than once each time you hit it adds 30 minutes to the record time. If the show being copied is an hour long a few hits of the record button tell it to record for an hour and then stop. I suspect most VCR's have a similar function.

..Tom

Nursing Informatics said:
I really like this feature as well..only thing that is annoying is that once the pvr is finished copying the program to the vcr, it doesn't stop the vcr...the vcr will continue to record until you physically stop the vcr...it would be nice if it stopped the vcr from recording when finished...is this how everyone else is having to do it too...or am I missing something somewhere...

·
Registered
328 Posts
The last time I tried the copy to vcr function from my 8300HD I could not do anything with the pvr until it was finished sending the recorded show to the vcr. Stop, pause, etc would not work.

Lobo

·
Registered
99 Posts
When you are copying to VCR, you need a TV attached directly to the other (non-VCR) video outputs in order to get into the program list. If you can do that, you can select the program in the list and then select "Stop Copying to VCR" to stop the output. You cannot see the menu from the VCR feed.

Note: I found a bug with "copy to vcr." If you are copying something to VCR (on the VCR outputs) and you watch another recorded program (on the main outputs) at the same time, when the recorded program finishes the audio going to the VCR will switch to the main PVR program. The video will be OK but the audio will be whatever you watch after finishing the recorded program. So you get part of your recording with proper audio and then it switches to SportsCentre or whatever you started watching after the recording.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Substituted audio

LeavingSC:

Just noticed the same thing tonight (after recording 3 other movies and deleting them from the PVR :mad: )

I'm glad you've figured out how the bug works. I didn't see it on the official list though so maybe it's a new "feature"?

Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I remember once trying to copy from one VCR to another via the composite line.

Going from source (master) to sink (slave), it was necessary to press PLAY on the master first before pressing RECORD on the slave. The slave machine did not like to be placed in record mode without there already being a steady stream of video frames arriving via the composite line.

What I did was start the playback on the master then freeze frame it. Then I would press RECORD on the slave (which was already receiving a continuous series of the same frame from the master), and then I would unfreeze the master.

I imagine that feeding a VCR from the 8300HD would require a similar approach of starting the PVR before the VCR.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts