Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8300HD PVR has 2 zoom levels. Zoom 1 is appropriate for the letterbox & pillars commonly used when 16:9 content is shown on a 4:3 channel. However, Zoom 2 produces even more enlargement. Does anyone know what Zoom 2 is intended for? It'd be nice if it worked with those odd sized European shows.

BTW, my 4250s only have one zoom level, the same as Zoom 1 on the PVR.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
I believe that Zoom 2 is for 2.35:1 SD letterbox material to eliminate black bars top/bottom. Of course this is in theory since the zoom really makes most material unwatchable since it enlarges the flaws in the original material in the same way putting a magnifying glass to newspaper can make it unreadable.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
JamesK, how is your box set up? is it at Fixed resolution output? or did you set it to Auto HMDI/DVI? does your 4:3 channels stretch to fill the screen? I've seen a different config in there cause the Zoom levels to be different.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^^^
Hang on a minute while I go check............

It's set to fixed and I never use stretch.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
when you press Settings (Quick Settings) and scroll to Picture Format, what resolution do you have selected?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's 1080i.

BTW, I don't have a problem. Everything works fine. I was just curious about that Zoom 2.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts