Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Has anyone with an 830 have the same occasional glitch: small black rectangle with a word or two in white that is from a Closed Caption? {see post #17}

I watch mostly CNN and that is where I see it. Changing channels and back clears the CC artifact?

Is it just my 830? I would like to know if all 830's have this glitch and if a software update would fix it.

More annoying is when watching a British show while using CC the sound will go out sometimes when I skip back 30 seconds.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
January 27, 2021 around 9AM ET, no audio on channel 422 A&E on the 830. Video OK. Other channels audio and video OK.
I called my neighbor with a 630. He said audio and video both OK on A&E.
I restarted the 830 from the button on the panel. Sound returned.

Audio outages also with CNN. I just let time pass with CNN which restores the audio.

Software or Hardware glitch on the 830?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Firmware version 70.27 will be rolling out next week - most notably, the ability to transfer HDPVR 830 recordings to another HDPVR 830 authorized on the same account will now be possible via WiFi. This is important for receiver replacements, and was a feature we championed as a result of customer feedback. A WiFi connection will be required, for both units.

There will not be the ability to transfer to/from HDPVR 630 to HDPVR 830, though.

This will be available for HDPVR 830s to download beginning at 10 am (local) on September 15th, and 16th (your receivers will fall into one of these groups). HDDSR 800s will occur the previous two days.

The recurring recording set-up confirmation screen has also been updated, allowing for modifications to be made right there, with a confirmation of how many episodes/recording occurrences will happen in the next 14 days (looking at the Guide data available to the receiver). This allows you to assess if you have the right recording options set up (for example, setting ALL episodes of The Simpsons will show the dozens of upcoming episodes over the next two weeks).

For both HDDSR 800s and HDPVR 830s - the VOD playback bar has been modernized, and various troubleshooting related tweaks have been made (ability to reboot the DSR from System Status, troubleshooting steps have been added to the Lost Signal popup, option to preserve your remote code when doing a Factory Reset, etc.)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I am looking forward to firmware version 70.27. I hope that it will swat some bugs in my 830 that may be related to firmware.

I have 35 episodes of Crave's "Dexter" in the can, but too busy to actually watch them yet. Nice to know that I could transfer my recorded shows to a replacement machine if the old 830 is operable.

Thank you for the advance notice. We appreciate your participation in this group. (y)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Firmware version 70.27 will be rolling out next week
... various troubleshooting related tweaks have been made...
Small matter easily rectified when viewing live TV, the very occasional persistent small black rectangle with a few letters appearing until any change to channel is made by the remote.

Outerwear Television presenter Coat News Television program

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Small matter easily rectified when viewing live TV, the very occasional persistent small black rectangle with a few letters appearing until any change to channel is made by the remote.

View attachment 12220
Firmware version 70.27 will be rolling out next week

various troubleshooting related tweaks have been made
I discovered an interesting thing yesterday. When I skip forward while watching a recording of PBS Seattle, the recording will sometimes end and is not be able to be watched again.

I was able to recover a show this time. I watched the show (no skipping) up to just before the minute of discombobulation AND viewing the play recording progress bar at the bottom of the screen.

The show will continue normally, but the progress bar remains stuck at the minute of discombobulation. No progress on the progress bar. There is a disconnect between the time keeping function and the content of the show.

It seems to occur mostly with PBS.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Firmware version 70.27 will be rolling out next week - most notably, the ability to transfer HDPVR 830 recordings to another HDPVR 830 authorized on the same account will now be possible via WiFi. This is important for receiver replacements, and was a feature we championed as a result of customer feedback. A WiFi connection will be required, for both units.

There will not be the ability to transfer to/from HDPVR 630 to HDPVR 830, though.

This will be available for HDPVR 830s to download beginning at 10 am (local) on September 15th, and 16th (your receivers will fall into one of these groups). HDDSR 800s will occur the previous two days.

The recurring recording set-up confirmation screen has also been updated, allowing for modifications to be made right there, with a confirmation of how many episodes/recording occurrences will happen in the next 14 days (looking at the Guide data available to the receiver). This allows you to assess if you have the right recording options set up (for example, setting ALL episodes of The Simpsons will show the dozens of upcoming episodes over the next two weeks).

For both HDDSR 800s and HDPVR 830s - the VOD playback bar has been modernized, and various troubleshooting related tweaks have been made (ability to reboot the DSR from System Status, troubleshooting steps have been added to the Lost Signal popup, option to preserve your remote code when doing a Factory Reset, etc.)
Does this include transferring recordings from a connected external drive ?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Yesterday afternoon while watching a movie recording on my 830, a screen appeared giving me the option to install firmware version 70.27 at that time or at 2AM. I chose the immediate time. All went well. :)

I like that screen that announced the options to install and I like the progress screen while downloading. I saw no visible change to the operation of the 830 - which is good.

I hoped for a bug swat that would cure the audio/video synchronization problem. While viewing that recorded movie, I used the skipping back button to review a scene, as sometimes happens, the video played with no audio for 3 or 4 seconds then a screen jitter and back to normal a/v synch. Oh well.

Based on that disappointment, I expect that my 830 will continue to get seriously out of A/V synch occasionally when watching my recorded Seattle PBS U.K. shows. I don't know if the problem is with the channel, the data stream from Shaw Direct, or my 830 hardware. :(

·
Registered
145 Posts
Got the update on my two 830s, but curiously I can't find anything anywhere related to transferring recordings. The feature also isn't mentioned in the release notes. Looks like it didn't make the cut. :-(

·
Registered
235 Posts
Got the update on my two 830s, but curiously I can't find anything anywhere related to transferring recordings. The feature also isn't mentioned in the release notes. Looks like it didn't make the cut. :-(
OPTIONS-PVRMV (78768) will get you there!

We have someone newer writing the release notes - looks like they kept the HDPVR only stuff off more or less (I used to write a "HDPVR only:" mention so I'll provide that feedback).

I'm checking in on the external hard drive question (@Sat-Dish)

And yes! Networked, sorry. Too used to writing WiFi.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ugh, that's a little klunky. I'll have to write a macro for the Harmony remote. Hopefully next update the UI will be moved into the mainstream portions. But I'll play with it for now, thanks.
Also, depending on which remote you have, for me it's Menu->Preferences->78768. I don't have an "Options" button on the remote I pulled out of the "remote graveyard" in the basement. ;-)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ugh, that's a little klunky. I'll have to write a macro for the Harmony remote. Hopefully next update the UI will be moved into the mainstream portions. But I'll play with it for now, thanks.
Also, depending on which remote you have, for me it's Menu->Preferences->78768. I don't have an "Options" button on the remote I pulled out of the "remote graveyard" in the basement. ;-)
Thanks for the feedback! Totally a fair point. Edit: it's a hidden feature for now, as you've said it is a "move" feature, really intended for replacements. Agents should review the feature upon replacement of an HDPVR 830.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! Totally a fair point. I'm honestly not sure why they chose to make it hidden (I moved on from Product Development last year, but stay involved as kind of an "everything satellite" person) so I'll inquire!
As I think of it, the primary intent of this particular feature is clear. It was likely devised as a way for a customer to obtain a warranty refurb replacement for a dying 830 and migrate their recordings from the old one. At first I couldn't figure out why the transfer was a "move" rather than a "copy", and then the answer hit me. So for that, it's going to be popular, and a good start.
For the rest of us, what we want is simple (to describe, perhaps not to do): allow us to record on one box, but watch the recordings on another. This is a start along that path, but hopefully will be taken to the next step in the future. :)

41 - 54 of 54 Posts