Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
I'm thinking about trading in my 630 receiver for 830 is worth doing ?
Probably not. The 630 is a good receiver. The 830 doesn't really add much and it takes some features away. I believe the 830 and 630 are compared in another 830 thread.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Seeing as your example is CNN and the transponder that CNN is carried on has been exhibiting odd behaviours on this add other channels on the same transponder I wouldn't rule out that is something that F2 is coughing up due to it's age.

·
Super Moderator
17,488 Posts
I'm thinking about trading in my 630 receiver for 830 is worth doing ?
Lots of comparisons in this thread. The 630 is end-of-life and won't be getting new feature updates (not enough memory).

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
The 830 takes away some outputs, the clock and other indicators, it does have some enhancements for searching for things in the guide and programming. There are trade offs but if your 630 is still functioning I would probably stick with it. Had the 830 not removed the outputs and clock etc I would probably would change my mind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The 830 takes away some outputs, the clock and other indicators, it does have some enhancements for searching for things in the guide and programming. There are trade offs but if you 630 is still functioning I would probably stick with it. Had the 830 not removed the outputs and clock etc I would probably would change my mind.
Thanks for the info (y)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just bought an 830, and I wasn’t aware about the two line issue, so I’m going to try using the single line for now until I’m able to get someone to run another line for me.
What other issues would I run into potentially with running it as a single tuner?

·
Registered
18 Posts
No other issues, you just cannot record and watch two different shows at the same time.
I’m hoping that maybe in the spring I can get a second line ran - I may be getting a second PVR so I’m going to wait to get both lines ran
You can change the receivers back to dual mode once it’s in single mode, correct?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I gather you are saying the internal HD is hinting. If that is the case adding external probably won't solve the problem as I believe they work in tandem.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Swapping out the internal will void any warranty. If it's a brand new unit just add the external drive. If it is older and out of warranty then it might be worthwhile to change out the internal drive, especially if you are seeing any odd disk behaviour. You will need the security screw driver to get to the inside. Also remember the drives are married to the unit.

If you do add an external drive and later change the internal drive the external drive will need to be reformatted. IIRC

Re single line use. Just make sure you go into settings and set the unit to single tuner mode. If not every other channel change will be a black screen as it tries to go back and forth between tuners.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Keep in mind that there is probably a hard 2TB limit on drive size. A larger internal drive is usually preferable to an external drive for performance and reliability reasons.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Swapping out the internal will void any warranty. If it's a brand new unit just add the external drive. If it is older and out of warranty then it might be worthwhile to change out the internal drive, especially if you are seeing any odd disk behaviour. You will need the security screw driver to get to the inside. Also remember the drives are married to the unit.

If you do add an external drive and later change the internal drive the external drive will need to be reformatted. IIRC

Re single line use. Just make sure you go into settings and set the unit to single tuner mode. If not every other channel change will be a black screen as it tries to go back and forth between tuners.
Thanks for the info - more than likely I will go external in both cases - and definitely change to single tuner mode - I’m hoping I can get a friend of mine who is an installer to come and add a second line for both units..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Keep in mind that there is probably a hard 2TB limit on drive size. A larger internal drive is usually preferable to an external drive for performance and reliability reasons.
i can understand that the internal might be better due to performance etc - I’m probably going external on both - still on the fence

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I have external drives on two of my 630's with the standard internal drives. The only time I see issues is if I let the drive get to full and by that time I need to dump things anyways because there is no way I can watch it all anyways. You should be fine with the external drives.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts