Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the activation of DVI port (It was abourt time!!!) I have been experiencing following problem when picture format is set to "Auto DVI".

When changing chanel between SD to HD ones I am prompted with the alert:

"Your HDTV does not support HDCP. Please use the YPrPb component connection to watch TV"

This statement is not correct as my Sony KV-34XBR800 does support HDCP. My current solution is to switch to the next same resoultion channel and then back, which appears to get rid of the message.

I have previously rented 3250HD box with DVI connection to the same TV and it all worked fine.

Has anyone experienced and found the solution for this problem.

Regards,
Vojin

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Please put your location in your profile, it'll help us help you (Videotron or Rogers?).

It's often important to turn on the TV first, then the STB to ensure the appropriate "handshake", but I assume you've done that since you get an "alert" when you change formats. Does it happen every time you go back to an HD channel or only the first time?

Also, make sure you only have one type of HD video connection - either DVI or Component Video or the STB can get confused.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
"Your HDTV does not support HDCP. Please use the YPrPb component connection to watch TV"
Got the same problem today with my LG DLP. Very Frustrating. I have tried shutting everything down and then restarting. TV first but no luck.

Will Continue trying and If it doesn't I'll try Rogers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for your reply. I am on Rogers.

This alert happens when I switch from SD to HD channel and vice versa. Once I do my trick - CH+ and CH- (see original post) I do not have the problem as long as I stay within the same resolution. Occasionally, when I switch between different resolution channels, I would also get full screen of very fine (I would assume HD) grayish noise, that either changes into the proper picture, or stays, so that I have to turn off and on both TV and box.

On the box itself, I have only connected DVI and stereo audio to TV, so I would assume that there should be nothing to confuse it.

As I mentioned, I used to have SA3250HD connected to the same TV with DVI, and it worked fine. So, I would assume that it has something to do with current 8000HD DVI/HDCP implementation.

As you nay assume, this is quite annoying, particularly when watching recorded program.

Any ideas???

Thanks,
Vojin

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
stefanovic, I don't know! I'll have to check.

I currently am hooked up with component so my default channel is HD-NBC so as soon as I start it up I get the message. Never actually tried to change channels!

I realized that if DVI is plugged in, the component doesn't work so I unplugged the DVI, rebooted both and my component was back.

I don't want to plug the DVI back until I get some sense of what the problem is.

The cable is the one I use for my DVD player (which works fine using DVI) so it doesn't appear to be the tv or the cable.

After hooking up the DVI cable and restarting both the TV and STB, I get the dreaded message

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ditto to this with Sony

I have had the same problem with my Sony KP46-WT500 television. I will be watching, and all of a sudden the screen goes to just noise, (the audio continues), and if I change that dreaded message comes up. Have not tried changing channels up and down, only changing resolution. Powering on and off was what I was doing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was using DVI with my 42" Grand Wega...finally gave up and went back to component video. I'd get "the message" about 1 out of 5 times turning the TV on.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
I have heard of some problems with HDMI and DVI being caused by the connector not being well seated. Make sure you press it in very firmly, perhaps even pulling it out and reconnecting a couple of times to ensure that any "gunk" or corrosion is removed from the pins.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I will have to agree with 57 on that.
I have the same STB model(8000HD) and tv(Sony 34XBR800) as Stefanovic, and the very same problem
happened to me, for two days only, last week.
I ended up powering both off, disconnecting the DVI cable
at both ends, reconnecting it, powering both the tv and
the 8000HD back on, and that did the trick.
No re-occurances of the dreaded HDCP error message in
almost a week now!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yes, I did.
Here is what I did: I powered off both the tv and the 8000HD, unplugged the power cord from the 8000HD,
disconnected the DVI cable at both ends, re-connected it,
plugged the power cord back into the 8000HD.
Then I powered the tv on first(BTW, I always do that first
as per someone's recommendation on this forum. I'm sorry;
I don't recall whose; might have been 57's), and then
the PVR. Presto! No more HDCP error messages.
Now, I will say that what seems to have triggered the message in the first place was me pausing the PVR for
a VERY long time, possibly 10-15 minutes, while watching
a pre-recorded movie(K-PAX). But then again - I had done
that before at least a few times, and it nevered caused any problems. Go figure... Anyway, I'm just happy I don't have
the error message any more.
Here is hoping for the same to you! Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I sometimes see that message when I switch from my xbox (component 1) to my 8300HD (DVI). But after 2-3 seconds it goes away and my picture comes back.

Seems like a negotiation has to take place to confirm HDCP, and maybe the box and TV are having issues agreeing.

TV on first and then cable box is best.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I found that when I had DVI hooked up my 8000HD was slower to respond, would have occasional audio sync issues on recorded material. Seems to operate smoother on component video..

·
Registered
5 Posts
DVI to HDMI Issues on SA8000HD

I've had my SA8000HD for ages but recently upgraded my TV to a SONY KFE50A10 and I purchased a DVI-HDMI cable.
I powered off the reciever, plugged in the cable, put my TV on the HDMI channel and turned the SA8000HD on.
The message I got on every change was "Copy Protection" HDMI/DVI is blocked.

Pressing exit tells my to use component cables.
I called Rogers and they said they do not support the DVI port but if it works for me thats great.
That made me a bit mad.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Unfortunately, that's the way it is with most cable service providers. There are simply too many issues with DVI/HDMI connections. Component video always works.

You can try turning on your TV, hooking up only the DVI/HDMI connection, then rebooting the STB by unplugging, waiting a few seconds, plug it back in, wait a few minutes (with the TV on). This sometimes enables the connection.

Also, make sure the connection is mechanically good by unplugging/replugging the DVI/HDMI cable a few times.

See also the following Digital Home FAQs (under help).

- Tips for SA STBs
- DVI/HDMI Information.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts