Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum, but have been reading it for a little while. I have a question regarding FOX 29.1. My reception for this channel is flawless up until about 8:45pm every night. I've heard that there are interfering channels that impact reception of FOX.

My question - is the interference coming from the local 11 VHF broadcast from CHCH, or is the problem channel 15 UHF, the repeat of CKXT in Hamilton?

Any input would be appreciated. I'm trying to figure out how to get this blood channel to work 24/7!

·
Registered
600 Posts
My question - is the interference coming from the local 11 VHF broadcast from CHCH, or is the problem channel 15 UHF, the repeat of CKXT in Hamilton?
It's not the frequency of CH11 interfering since CH11 is at around 200MHZ (+/-3MHz) and Fox is at CH14 (somewhere like 450MHz). Now CH11 analog could overload your tuner, and depending on this overload, could interfer with the weaker channels. What your experiencing are most likely atmospheric conditions (tropo effects), and how dense and damp the evening air is opposed to other times of the day.

Now you don't mention your antenna, or height, but each one of those could influence your ability to get this channel more reliably. Another thing, depending on your cable length is to use a pre-amp. What could be happening is that if this channel is coming in close to the noise floor, with a long length of cable, then add in atmosheric anomalies, and it could fall into noise. A pre-amp will help in compensating for this cable length and keep the weaker channels above the noise floor. The one other thing is to precisely aim/optimize the antenna for Fox.

Just realize that this channel is very hard to get reliably since they are mainly transmitting towards the south.

·
Registered
611 Posts
nighttime dead-Fox issue

My antenna was peaked for WUTV a few months ago. Previously, it was aimed between T.O. and Buffalo/Grand Island, and I was hoping the peaking would alleviate the nighttime dead-Fox issue, but if anything, it's made it a bit worse... but that may be the generally much hotter weather so far this year! Go figure... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
611 Posts
What antenna, pre-amp and height do you have?
A 4221 clone, no preamp, chimney mount... so ~ 7m above ground. No trees in the way, but there are hydro lines ~ .5 km away.

As mentioned, the rest of the Buffalo stations are steady, with the exception of 51, which only appears when 29 disappears! :eek: ... although there was that one HOT evening last week when most of 'em disappeared... also as mentioned. ;)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Poolboy I would speculate that it is tropo. activity and not interference unless your using a preamp which could overload.During tropo. activity WUTV signal refracts and goes elsewhere beyond its normal area or another signal on the same frequency refracts into your area.Either way the signal is likely disappearing at that time.

·
Registered
600 Posts
It is interesting and ironic how CenturyBreak mentions loosing the channel consistently at 8:45pm.

Does make you wonder if there is something more than just tropo going on here. Maybe a broadcaster is trying to save in electrical and lowering their transmitting power.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
That is interesting. I know for sure that most AM Broadcasters
actually change their antenna patterns at sundown to prevent propagating too far in to far away markets, and restore it at sunup. On the AM stations you can actually hear the "pop" when they throw the switch. Certain AM stations are exempt from that practice in the US if they are licensed as "Clear Channel". But, that's AM, different animal, different propagation.

Who knows, maybe they received reports from some distant market also using channel 14
and agreed to similarly change their coverage to prevent interference someplace else?
Dunno if that would be a common practice in TV broadcast. Sounds more plausible to me than
reducing coverage just to conserve energy though. But that's just me...

I'm still in the wierd weather / optimize the receive antenna config category on this one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, guys, I should have given details.

I live in Burlington, on the upslope of Brant Street towards Upper Middle, so I can see Buffalo. My original setup was a rooftop mounted antenna with a ClearStream 4 on a tripod. I had a ChannelMaster 7778 pre-amp installed, and the cable run was no longer than 40 feet. It's also on a ChannelMaster rotor.

My ClearStream went for an absolute crap a couple of weeks ago. I was on the roof realigning the antenna. I took the CS4 off the mount and turned it upside down, and watched water run out of the plastic rings for over a minute.

I just switched to an attic mount 4228HD. I've actually noticed a performance improvement after the switch. I used to have trouble pulling the ION networks unless I was right on them within a few degrees. This antenna isn't as directional as the CS4. However, I still get the evening crapout on FOX. It wouldn't be that bad an issue, except I have a HTPC that I've built, and every recording on FOX ends up screwing up at the end. I've resorted to tuning the Canadian feeds from Global and CTV, but come football season, that won't be an option.

New setup is attic mounted 4228HD. No preamp installed yet. I need to climb up into the attic and get the 7778 installed today.

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
It is entirely possible and likely that TV broadcasters vary their RF output by time of day.

WUTV sells advertising to Canadian advertisers. Therefore, they should do a better job of serving the GTA and Southwestern Ontario. We should begin a letter writing campaign to them, demanding better coverage here. Other Buffalo stations manage it. In fact, stations that are further away than Grand Island do a better job getting into Ontario than WUTV.

And don't tell me that their contour is poor into Ontario due to regulatory restrictions. I've been watching WUTV since I was a little boy living in Toronto. Their is a long-standing demand for their programming here. And if they want to improve their signal, I'm sure it can be done.

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
poolboy71: That absolutely shocks me regarding your C4. I've personally come to respect Antennas Direct and their products. If I were you, I would certainly bring this to their attention...given their record of excellent customer service, I'm sure they'll "make it right".

·
Registered
358 Posts
I sincerely doubt that any TV broadcaster would drop power during prime-time viewing hours. Outside of news, this the time they make the most money. I know of no agreements between broadcasters on VHF/UHF frequencies to vary power during the day to mitigate any interference problems.

There was a case during the US transition where an analog UHF station near the Atlantic coast in Maryland successfully petitioned the FCC to limit the power of a co-channel digital station from the Virginia Beach area on a full-time basis because of frequent tropo conditions.

That is interesting. I know for sure that most AM Broadcasters
actually change their antenna patterns at sundown to prevent propagating too far in to far away markets, and restore it at sunup. On the AM stations you can actually hear the "pop" when they throw the switch. Certain AM stations are exempt from that practice in the US if they are licensed as "Clear Channel". But, that's AM, different animal, different propagation.
Some Class A AM stations (the current designation for the old clear channels) do change antenna patterns at night. The reasons AM stations must use different transmit power levels or antenna patterns are:
1) the opening of skywave propagation at night and,
2) no practical antenna that can deliver groundwave signals without energizing skywave.

By the way, there are Class A stations in many countries in this hemisphere.

·
Registered
275 Posts
When I get home I'll look for the dropout time. I've given up on Fox during the summer. I don't think its worth changing anything in my current setup for a channel that is repeated on Toronto stations (for anything I may watch). In the summer I barely turn on the TV anyways, so I'm not too concerned with it. Everything else is rock solid barring tropo conditions.

I'm close to the hydro lines in Headon Forest. I have a CM4221 (old) mounted, about 30 feet to my distribution amp. It is approximately 25' or so up. I have one of the tallest 2 story homes in the neighbourhood and my antenna clears the house by about 2 feet or so.

·
Registered
611 Posts
At this time of the year, I'm not concerned either, as all that's on Fox is House and Glee reruns! I'm hoping for some long-term resolution in order to avoid the dreaded Global simsubs... you know: how everything on Global is converted to fuzzy widescreen SD. :rolleyes: :mad:

·
Registered
598 Posts
I've been looking at tvfools mapping function and I don't believe they are using the broadcast contour of WUTV and is assuming that WUTV is broadcasting in a circular patterna like all the other stations in Buffalo.

Contour map of WNED which is easy to get from my location:

Contour map of WUTV which is hard to get from my location:

There is no real difference the signals are shown to spread equally from the center rather than more south-east as their antenna is supposedly set up.

Therefore I think tvfool is overstating the strength for viewers in Ontario.

The simple solution would be a better antenna, better location for an existing antenna or a preamp.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I can see the directional antenna pattern of WUTV vs Omni WNED there, no problem. Look at the Hot Red/Orange...

I sincerely doubt that any TV broadcaster would drop power during prime-time viewing hours.
So do I....for the same reasons.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yes the center looks directional. But overall the pattern out towards the dark blues and purples still seems circular. I guess it could be because of the topography. Otherwise if it was the same as the reds/orange Burlington would be more purple than it is.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Got the big gun out tonight to see if I lose WUTV. It's a 11 element channel cut yagi optimized for RF 14, it's outside of my apartment window here in Kitchener. So far WUTV is coming in strong.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts