Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've had a HTPC/PVR in my house for many years (starting in 2003 using Snapstream and Shaw's analog cable service).

I live in the Edmonton area, and I have access to a OTA DTV signal (CityTV on channel 17-1). I'm using a HDHomeRun as a tuner. At first when configuring an Antenna source via 7MC it said that Canada wasn't supported for that type of tuner. Then I applied pnear's hack.

Now, I can watch 17-1 in Media Center, however I'm having trouble associating any guide data with it. Since Windows Media Center doesn't associate any guides with this area, I can't associate the channel with the relevant guide data.

I'm looking for tips from people who have already solved this issue...

On the end of the "hack" page I referenced earlier, they said that people on this forum maintain a set of XML files to add guide data for local channels. I'm curious if anyone is maintaining such a file for the Edmonton area.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Your local cable company likely carries that channel correct? What I would do is try to add the digital cable guide to Media Center.

There should be instructions in the blog entry on how to find the guide id# and edit that into the custom MXF file. You'll also need to edit the scheduled task though, as it assumes you're using a US guide.

Current scheduled task:
- Switch to US
- Download guide with ID number "xxxxxxx"
- Switch back to Canada

New scheduled task:
- Delete the task (reg.exe) that changes the region
- Change the guide update task to include the id # from the local digital cable guide
- Delete the task (reg.exe) that changes the region

1 - 3 of 3 Posts