Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTF?
I used Starchoice's move program last fall, as we built a new home...
the Starchoice designate is a friend of my Dad's, so I had him pull four runs to a grounding block and I did the rest.
I requested of him that if he had a 75E, that he use that rather than a 60E and that I'd make it worth his while. He installed a 75E and pulled the four runs, all on the move program (no extra charges for me for the extra pulls).

I was never happy with my signal strength, so today I climbed up to re-peak my dish. It has a 60E LNB on the end of the mast.

Should I call the installer, call Starchoice, or just locate a 75E dual quad and install it myself?

I don't want him to have to do a service call on his own dime now.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called the designate, and he indicated that he used the equipment contained within the box for the installation, and that his own dish on his house is likely the same. This made me somewhat curious, so I called Starchoice Tech Support and indicated to them that I suspected I had the wrong lnb. The TSR checked his (their) records to confirm the dish I had (I guess he had reason to wonder what I was even taliking about) and got back to me. He indicated to me that all elliptical dishes (60E's and 75E's) use the same LNB but a different length arm...

I wasn't going to argue with him 'cause he was probably correct - but I thought I'd ask here anyways.

Are there any other Dual Quad LNB's available other than the one that has 60E stamped on the top? If there are, then I'll pursue this further, if not than the people who are smater than me have my appologies.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would disagree !!!! DOUBLE CHECK WITH A HIGHER LEVEL TSR Having both 60E and 75E lnb's in hand, there is a slight difference. They are NOT interchagable due to the variances in the offsets.

Although they physical LNB components within the plastic casing are identical, the differences are seen in the casing to accomodate the different focal points on the E60 vs the E75 dishes.

Mounting an E60 lnb on a E75 dish will generate lower signal and ebno readings.... and vice versa!

If you have a "BAD" E60 or E75 lnb and have a spare quad, you can carefully open the quad's plastic casing and transfer the LNB core into the other E75 or E60 case.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - it seems less complicated than that to me, as the lnb I have has a "60E" designation molded into the top of it's plastic case.
I can certainly can dissasseble the housing to confirm it, but is there a specific model/scheme/type I should look for?

I vaguely recall Mr Chai telling me a long time ago that they were developing a dual-quad specific to the 75E, because the receiveing arrays were at a different spacing but he left for linCSat prior to me finding out when it would be made avaialble. I just assumed it had been made avaialable.

I only have the one lnb, no other one to compare it to.

·
Banned
3,190 Posts
While I've not seen or held a QUAD 74e, I would hope they exist.
Why would they stamp a 60e on some if there wasn't a corresponding 75e.

Now I do have both a 60e and 75e in a dual stacked configuration.

Plus as was mentioned, the LNB illumination of the dish face would differ for the different arms length and therefore the geometry would need to be slightly different, which it indeed is for the 2 in the dual stacked versions.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've spoken with Phil Simard, as well as another well regarded installer - both of them also concur that I likely have the wrong lnb for my dish.
I have an e-mail in to Starchoice explaining the situation - I'm awaiting an answer from someone closer to the top.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hey Bent, my experience is that it is a complete waste of time sending emails to Staar Choice. You will get an answer but you will not be satisfied I am sure. Phone them.
Lester

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My email didn't go to " [email protected], " but rather direct to one of their managers.
You might well be right that it won't go further than that, but I have reason to believe that my issue will get resolved. I've never had a problem before w.r.t getting results. I believe this dish was simply mis-packaged and a resolution should be soon to follow.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Yeah, back when I did work for them, I'm almost certain I was told in training class that there was a different LNB for the 75E dish.

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
"The 75-E QUAD LNBF is specifically designed for use with this 75 cm Elliptical Antenna. Do NOT attempt to install it on any other antenna, and do not try using the QUAD LNBF supplied for the 60-E elliptical antenna on this antenna. Each is designed as a matched set, and will not work on other systems. The proper QUAD LNBF for the 75-E antenna is model number LM-2738-75SC."

From http://www.global-cm.net/SC75Eassembly.htm near the bottom

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been asked to provide before and after readings of my 60E lnb and my 75E lnb.
Would it be relevent to include eB/No numbers on horizontal and vertical channels on each satellite?
(if so, what are the VC numbers I'd use)?

·
Registered
186 Posts
You want to give them the signal strenght on 299, the the EBnos on 260 (F2 H), 299 (F1V), 300 (F1H) and 701 (F2V).

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
here's a picture of the correct lnb - it arrived today.
(note the correct 75E notation on the nameplate)

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I installed the new lnb this AM:

noted these eB/No numbers, 60E lnb as it was installed on 75E dish, the 75E lnb on 75E dish after peaking,

VC#--------- 60E - 75E
260 F2(h) = +9.3 +10.7
701 F2(v) = +8.9 +10.5
299 F1(v) = +5.3 +10.6
300 F1(H) = +5.5 +10.2

Seems to make a a significant difference...
Where I had a signal strength on VC 299 being 50 prior to changing the lnb, it's a strong 92 with the correct lnb.

The readings indicate that the dish was likely originaly peaked for good readings on F2 (I asked for good HD performance, so that's what I got).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts