Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. We're in the middle of a basement reno, and when it's done we'll need a new TV.
I've settled on 75" as the sweet spot. We have a 65 in the living room upstairs, downstairs will be a slightly longer viewing distance, so 75 seems like the best bet.

I was thinking Samsung UN75NU8000FXZC, but now am thinking about the Vizio P75-F1 prices are similar, and right in my budget.
The Sony 900F looks good but I don't know if it's $1000 better. I could swing $3500, but would prefer not to.

I want 4k and HDR, don't care much about smarts, as I'll be using Roku/AppleTV, though built-in Chromecast and Alexa compatibility is a plus. Don't care about sound, I'll be feeding an AV receiver.
One thing I don't want is banding. My son has a Samsung that has really annoying banding that's really noticeable when watching hockey and golf.
I was hoping to have it in time to figure out where exactly on the wall the mount will go, as we need to plan for that with the stone that's going on the wall. I could ballpark it, but it seems that different TVs have different VESA configurations. Looking at the pictures of the Vizio, the top VESA holes are half way up, whereas my Samsung has them centred. I guess I could unbox my mount and see how adjustable it is.

If the Vizio wasn't 7-10 day delivery only, I may have grabbed one by now.

Any advice to help me pull the trigger? Should I be looking at LG offerings too?

Thanks

·
Registered
225 Posts
banding?

The last time I heard of video banding was back in the SD days using 2" videotape machines with 4 recording heads. What do you mean by 'banding' in this day and age?

·
Registered
75 Posts
The Sony is the best tv of the bunch, especially if your watch sports as Sony has the best processor for handling motion. Only you can decide if its a $1000 better. My opinion is if your going to buy a large set like this that you'll probably keep for several years then you may as well buy the one with the best PQ.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The last time I heard of video banding was back in the SD days using 2" videotape machines with 4 recording heads. What do you mean by 'banding' in this day and age?
I meant vertical banding, vertical strips of uneven brightness most noticeable in a scene like a soccer field or golf, particularly when the camera is panning.

Perhaps "banding" isn't the correct technical term, but a quick Google search of TV vertical banding golf shows it's a fairly common problem.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
That would most likely be an artifact of the panel. Find out which panels are subject to banding and avoid models that use that panel. Unfortunately, that information is not always easy to find and manufacturers can change panel types at any time, even on the same model. If you can settle for a 65" screen, there are some good deals right now on OLED TVs. Prices for 75" OLED TVs are still stratospheric so that's probably out.

·
Super Moderator
56,559 Posts
(Vertical Banding) Seems to be an issue caused by the way the backlighting is done on certain panels? I'm wondering if a minor change in Contrast (White Level) or Brightness (Black Level) would minimize the effect. (Or turn off the "auto" settings like auto-contrast, etc)

I see that it's most noticeable on monochromatic test patterns or when a TV scene has the identical colour on most of the screen, like you would see on hockey or golf, something with a lot of sky, etc.

In my more than 10 years optimizing TVs, I don't recall ever seeing anything like the sample photos or videos shown in the various forums discussing vertical banding, especially after I optimized the TV settings. I always used a variety of monochromatic test patterns during my optimizations (white, black, various shades of grey, etc).

It appears from some of the forum discussions that Samsung has a firmware update to address the issue and I wonder whether that changes the default picture settings of the TV, or perhaps changes the "auto-contrast" (or similar) setting. Some people claimed the TV was "better" after they updated the firmware.

I know that I had to do a minor re-optimization of my 75" Sharp when I downloaded new TV firmware. (The reds got a bit redder and I had to cut that back.)

Good luck with your TV search.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
It could have something to do with how the LEDs are arranged (vertical rows?) or a poorly designed light diffuser and an insufficient number of LEDs. Don't know about the panels in large TVs but smaller panels are a sealed unit so it's difficult to tell how it's constructed. If banding is due to backlighting, it could be similar to the lighting effect on a lot of edge lit florescent displays before LEDs took over. There would often be a bright band at the edges of the screen close to the lamp. The light was diffused by a plastic lens which could create it's own artifacts if not well designed.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies.
I just read that the Samsung 8000 series is edge-lit, and for some odd reason doesn't pass 5.1 through the optical digital audio out, so that's off my list.
Now I'm leaning toward the Sony. May pop out this weekend and look at one.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK I finally pulled the trigger. Sony XBR75X900F.

Turns out that a family member works for a company that can buy direct from Sony, so got one for about the same price as the Vizio.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I got the Sony 900F and I'm happy with it. Dolby Vision, HDR, plus FALD. Can't go wrong with it. However,I have no family who can get your discount but Coscto price is probably second best.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts