Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Digital Home members. I am in the planning stage with my Home Theatre and I am looking for a very specific media unit and I was hoping for some help.

My idea is to have a low profile media unit approximately 70"-80" wide, maybe 20" tall, and standard depth. Ideally it would be nice to have a glass front.

I have been browsing a few places but nothing quite seems to fit. Ikea has a broad selection, with 70" wide units, but drawers as a front, rather than glass. I dont want to spend a ton of money, and I dont really want to build one myself.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I could find something like this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
Wow lex, is that your house?! Its absolutely stunning. Yes that console is something similar to what I am looking for. So you customized an Ikea Besta to create that? Do tell. Do you have your specs off hand?

·
Registered
233 Posts
joe, parts list as below:

- Two of these as the base: BESTÅ Shelf unit/ height extension unit
- Two of these at the top to hide gap between wall and base unit (electronics were about 23" deep) : BESTÅ
Bench

- Two glass doors : BESTÅ VARA Glass door
- Two pairs of rails: BESTÅ Rail for sliding doors

As MDW doesn't like to see all the cables in the back, I then cut out holes based on the equipment that I have in the rack. Also, I cut out about 1.5 inches off the top of the back cover of each section so that there's exhaust for the heat.

Finally, we installed just two doors so that you could slide these for ventilating the electronics while in use and slide them back to cover the electronics from dust (and hide it from view) while displaying basket or pottery that the wife would like to display.

P.S. You'll notice that I didn't install the feet. I didn't think that they could handle the weight of the equipment. Besides, it will be a pain to clean under it. Just put in some felt pads for ease of moving them as required.

About five or six hours of work to assemble and install everything including the custom cuts with a jig saw. Et voila!

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
If you have a vendor in the area who carries furniture from Atelier LC2, you might want to have a look at their Quintessence line. It features a "central unit" that comes in two widths and which can be both customized and incorporated into a variety of configurations. My wife and I recently purchased the wider "central unit" and we're very happy with the look and the quality of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lex, thanks for that effort put into that post. I did some browsing of the Besta collection and its impressive what you did. We are making a trip to Ikea later this week to see what we can put together.

I also thought about putting two smaller units together and then purchase a small table top to go across both units.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts