·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anybody really believe a thing Steve Ballmer says? Microsoft needs to release products instead of talking about what products they are going to release.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
There is no Windows 7 app store

Microsoft's Windows 7 doesn't have a friction-free app store like Google or Apple have on their mobile OSes. So what would you do with the multitouch gestures of a Windows 7 tablet that differs from the everyday desktop computing experience? There'd be no practical purpose in having a Windows 7 tablet if it's just going to run desktop software.
seriously

this is the dumbest arguement I've ever heard

95% of all software in the wild will run on your device, but since there's no app store, clearly you're screwed

:rolleyes:

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
James99, the article was inaccurate on that point but from what I understand the only reason those few tablets were distributed was to appease some corporate HP clients who had made some investments that required the Slate so its fair to say that it was never really released to the marketplace.

The major reason I don't want a MS Slate is I think they have lost all credibility. IMO, they need to start delivering product and sticking with it rather than just announcing products that never make it to market or that are quickly pulled. Can you say Slate, Zune, and Kin. (yes I know you can get a zune in the U.S. but for how much longer).

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
The release of the slate was a shocker since HP picked up Palm and will probably be announcing a Palm table at CES 2011.

I'm interested in reviews for the new Dell Hybrid which has a flip screen that doubles as a WIN7 tablet.

The duo core atom is what interests me not the tablet piece.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
In this industry we are all kind of used to seeing lots of vapourware announced. Usually big players like MS are above that, but I guess we'll see on this one.

And as an aside, seeing how the Zune has been available for 4 years now, I wouldn't really include it in this mess.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think Zune was two years and out in Canada. I include it because it left Canadian buyers high and dry.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
In this industry we are all kind of used to seeing lots of vapourware announced. Usually big players like MS are above that,
You are kidding, right? MS practically invented vaporware marketing. They've been doing it with every product they've sold since Windows 1.0. MS has destroyed competing products and companies with vaporware. MS Office was delivered years late but not until MS decimated the competition with vaporware promises. They did the same thing with their networking software, practically destroying the Fortune 500 market for competing Novell and AT&T Unix networking software. Then they repeated once again with the mail server market. There are Windows features they promised for a "new Windows" in 2005 that still aren't in Windows 7, 5 years later. MS makes some good products but their marketing practices flirt with being illegal in the US and many countries.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lets stick to the discussion of why the MS Slate may or may not be something we can believe in.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Tablets have been around for a decade (+?) and had no problems with any of the things listed in the article..

I think the author is thinking along the lines of the large-screen smartphone "tablets" released as of late, and can't seem to picture anything but that working in the form factor.

Perhaps they should find some Motion and TabletKiosk users and ask them if they've had any problems with no app store, or having to deal with 'pesky peripherals' and viruses.
And on that last point - a virus can exist for any programming platform.
Just because you're running a mobile OS, doesn't make you immune..

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
the best "tablet" I've ever seen was the OQO

form factor wise they were almost perfect, you could run windows, OSX or ubuntu on them

Im still waiting for someone to put out that form factor again

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I guess another good question would be if the Windows 7 Slate will be a knock off of the HP Slate. As far as MS hardware is concerned, I won't touch it with a 10' pole, real or not. If they do happen to come up with an affordable, innovative device, I might change my position but it won't be for yet another touch screen device in a crowded touch screen market. With $100 Android based tablets poised to hit the market en masse, I wouldn't back anyone bringing a Win7 tablet to market now.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
why?

I'd kill for a good win7 pocketable

android is ok, but it's VERY beta

I like my iPod touch, but there's just so much shovelware, and very little real substance in the app store

·
Registered
796 Posts
What program on your PC do you miss having on iOS?

That said iOS and tablets are best suited for content browsers not creation. You whack a real keyboard on the thing and it's twice as thick, you also have moving parts that will not like spills.

Myself and millions of others really like the iPad, it's really good at what it does and it's probably got the same ratio of shovelware to must have software as any other computing platform and it's only been out less than a year.

Sidenote, I pretty much keep my iPhone for use as a phone nowadays. The iPad screen is much easier on my eyes.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I've probably mentioned it in another thread, but Windows 7 is simply not a good comparison to Android or iOS. It's way too bloated and resource-hungry for the average slate/tablet. As such, such a machine would be slow, cumbersome, and have worse battery life than a product like the iPad.

Much like how Microsoft pretty much ran Windows Mobile to the ground by refusing to adapt to the ever-changing (and competitive) smartphone market, they are in danger of doing the same in the Tablet PC sector. Apple showed that simplicity is crucial to the tablet form-factor, and until Microsoft realizes this, they will not succeed in this area.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts