Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Can't help, but you can pretty much forget about accessing regular email via SO, if you had that in mind as an important app...maybe you can figure out some work-around, but it would be over my head. From SO CS...but you should check for yourself, they seem quite knowledgable.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I am not even qualified enough to answer your main question, let alone suggest reasons or a possible solution. :) It just happens to be one of the very few things I wanted to be able to do, so I asked about it. It is very possible you could get your "regular" email account forwarded to some site where you could access it, but then can you easily respond etc.? I didn't get into the details, sorry.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Accessing gmail and yahoo email is fine, but a bit awkward. I find it simpler for gmail then for yahoo. But it works via the mobile browser.

Since its unlimited browsing, its great to not worry about how much you browse. However, people complain that its slow because its not 3G. But I found it perfectly fine for my use on 2G or EDGE for reading all my websites.

When reading websites with lots of text and I require speed and less graphics, I often use special mobile transcoders to display it e.g. Skweezer. I've used Skweezer for awhile (allows you to customize your menu on the browser for your quick links) and I like it for stripping out graphics stuff I don't need and just give me the data quickly. It doesn't work for some webpages, and for those instances where it does not work, I go to Opera Mini. I was not able to use Skyfire browser via 2G or EDGE.

Some areas, the browsing speed is much quicker if your strength of the signal (2G or EDGE) is stronger. That goes without saying. So, wherever you have a strong 3G signal, you should also have a strong 2G or EDGE signal.

Overall, I have no qualms about using the "slow" speeds when compared to 3G. But I'm also paying much less than others. Seriously, I use my ULB for mostly checking movie times, googling info, reading some news websites and checking email etc. I don't use it for much else so its a waste to pay crazy data charges when I have high-speed at home, and wifi access to check if required on the road via Rogers free 1-hr each day at Rogers hotspots.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Speakout Wireless

I have been with Speakout for about 8 months. I love the service and the price. But being honest I don't use a cell phone a lot. 1-2 calls a day and a few text messages a day. I average $10-15 a month at most in usage. So this opition is better than signing a contract or going monthly service.

The best thing I find is the 365 day phone cards apposed to 30 or 60 day with most other companies.

I did notice that Speakout reduced the amout of phones they offer which sucks. But You can get a Rogers phone and put in a speakout sim card.
So there is hope for a Iphone.

·
Super Moderator
4,478 Posts
I slapped my 7-11 SIM card into a used Rogers iPhone 3GS last week and signed up for $10 unlimited browsing.

After following some directions found through Google - it was up and running.

I have been very happy with the 3G signal (on port 80 only) and being able to listen to web streaming radio (like both CFL games on Saturday) while driving back from Lake Louise to Calgary.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I use T-Mobile occasionally in the USA so I purchased a Nokia Nuron 5230 prepaid ($119) and they were happy to unlock it for such a valuable customer($20 year maybe). Anyway it works vey well with Speakout Canada and the unlimited browsing. Tests out at 3G with this phone.
On top of that I have a GPS using satellite with this phone. I will never be lost again! :)
Browsing only. Only a few apps work with SO and this phone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Speakout mobile browser

any body user Speakout mobile browser with fring application.
because fring can allow to call in canada just .5 cents. so please let me know fring work in speakout phone.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Not really. Fring application works if you're on wifi but not on the Speakout 3G UMB plan.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts