Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys ill try to keep this as short as possible, please bare with me!!!

I am finally getting around to finishing the basement and roughing in the HT. My problem is I am planning the cabling for a system that doesn't yet exist this is where I need your help figuring out what I need to run now before I close up the walls.

Equipment Currently:

47" LCD TV
Bell HD Reciever
Blu-ray

Future Equipment:

7.2 Reciever, speakers, subs
HD Projector
Possible gaming system.

So, this is what I am looking to be able to do:
1. Watch TV and satelite with/without surround sound
2. Watch Projector and satelite with suround sound
3. Play gaming system with/without surround/projector on

I will be building a built in cabinet for all the equipment. So here is what I figure I need:

- 7.2 surround wall plate
- 1 HDMI cable from Bell box directly to TV
- 1 HDMI cable from Reciever to TV
- 1 HDMI cable from Reciever to Projector location
- Switch out of Bell Box to switch between TV and Reciever
- Switch out of Reciever to switch between TV and projector
- Obviously all 7 speakers out of 7.2 plate to wall locations

Im not sure about the subs though. What kind of cables do I need to run to them? Did I miss anything? maybe on the projector side? I'll probably need more switches when the gaming system comes into play.

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the same setup as you want. I bought a Pioneer receiver with 2 hdmi outputs - one to the tv and one to the projector. It made life simpler. I always use the receiever for the sound, so that's different then you want. It would be easier and save on a switch to have the sound through the receiver all the time.

For the subs, you just need to get coaxial audio cables.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so my question is if I ran everything through the receiver can you turn off the surround and just have the sound coming through the front speakers when watching tv?

·
Registered
62 Posts
You'd have to see if the receiver can down mix the 5.1 to stereo. I've never tried this on my receiver.

Why wouldn't you want to listen in surround all the time?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I really just dont want to have thundering sound all the time and in a way i kinda figured if you ran the system all the time the life of the system would be deminished. That being said, I guess unless the program you are watching is broadcast in surround, you would only get stereo sound.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen a surround receiver that doesn't have a stereo downmix mode, to output to 2 channels only.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Lastyear,

Do yourself a big favour and just run PVC conduit to all the wire locations that way if you ever do need to change the wires for some reason it will be dead easy to pull the new wires through. With this cheap and easy method you never have to worry about closing up the walls.

For now just run your standard speaker wire to all the speaker locations, Run an HDMI to a future projector location. I'd also run Cat 5 to the Subs/Projector/AV cabinet & TV area since its cheap and depending on what you own you'll need it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its funny you suggested that, I thought about that before. Thanks for the input guys, I now have a pretty good idea what I have to do.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
That being said, I guess unless the program you are watching is broadcast in surround, you would only get stereo sound.
Almost all programming can be decoded by Dolby Pro Logic (or similar) to provide surround sound from 2-channel sources. This is how most people listen to TV programmes that are not DD5.1.

Check out the following useful posts:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741 Useful post.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76082 AVR features

·
Registered
96 Posts
Lastyear,

Everything these days is getting hooked to the net even if its just for Firmware updates etc.. With the way tech is going and at the cost of cat 5 its simplier to run it now.

Also not sure what type of screen your going for but mine is a motorized Drop down screen and the Projector triggers the screen to drop down through Cat 5.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually thats exactly what I wanted to do. Ill have the TV on the wall and the screed drop down in front of it. So basically I need CAT 5 cable running between all my hardware devices (TV,projector,reciever,subs?)

The good thing is I am going with a drop cieling so as long as I have pipes run behind all my devices through the wall, I can access them as simple as poping out the ceiling tiles.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Make sure to run a Cat 5 from your projector location to your screen location since the projector will trigger the screen when you turn it on.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
Running single or double Cat5/6 simply allows you to use these instead of the other types of (appropriate) cables which may change in the future. For example, coaxial subwoofer cable, HDMI, etc.

My preference is to run the appropriate cable directly from device to device without any wall plugs or conversions to create signal problems, however, other people prefer the other route.

As mentioned earlier, plastic conduit with some strings is also a good idea where possible. Speaker wire to the appropriate/possible future locations should be easy.

Check out the links I already provided in post 10, especially the stuff near the end of the "if only" FAQ.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great thanks. I think I will take the advice and run conduit to the AVR cabinet, TV and sub locations and just hardwire for the surround speakers, that should be safe enough. Great links btw, i could read for HOURS and likely will as this project all comes together!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts