Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Help !

I was watching tv last night -no issues (went to bed around 11:30PM), and I guess they pushed this update to my receiver. grrr when I woke up to let the dog out all I saw was the - (horizontal middle LEDs of the 8) going left to right and back. I let it go, came back about 30 mins later, still the same. Reboot, cold boot, with/without coax plugged, power bar/no power bar, different outlet. Just comes back to the same. Anyone know how can I reload the software? The issue is that I don't live in Canada (or the US), they can't send a tech to help and I can't RMA. I have a completely legit monthly account (well except I don't live in Canada).

Anyone know how I could recover this? Can I plug into the serial see the boot, etc. etc. Load with a USB key on boot?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I tried connecting my 605 to my D-Link mediabridge and the receiver just keeps scrolling. When I unhook the ethernet cable from the receiver the receiver stops scrolling and goes back to normal. So I guess I'm doing something wrong or there is something wrong with my receiver. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
629 Posts
1. If the connection is good (i.e. link lights illuminated on the router), perform a Front Panel or AC Reset. (Unplug power on the receiver only, and reconnect it)
2. After the receiver reboots, wait at least 60 seconds and then go back into the Network menu and see if the "Status" is online.

If one or more fields still reads "Not Available", I'd wonder about your router/network. Does your router have DHCP? Is DHCP still enabled in the Network menu? Do you have MAC address filtering enabled on your router, without having added the receiver to the whitelist?

Ultimately, it's designed to be pretty simple. If the connection is good, nothing more than a reset should be required to get the satellite receiver online. If it's not coming online, we'd look to the connection or the network and see what we can find from there.
My 630 was finally targeted. The software installed and i plugged in a wired connection. My router isn't allowing the 630 onto the network for some reason. I whitelisted the Mac address (like i do for all my other devices to avoid IP conflicts) and I have DHCP enabled. I share files across my home network without issues and the line that's connected to my 630 now was just working fine on my TV, so it's not the wire. I see this message a lot in my router log:

Blocked incoming TCP SynAck packet from 74.86.67.168:80 to 192.168.15.100:4962 with unexpected sequence

I have a D-link dir-615 wireless router.

Oh and the call display still isn't working after this update either. :S

Any help pls? Thx

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Duplicate channels?

Hi has anyone seen some strange dupe channels since the sw upgrade? We're getting two copies of HBO E and W and some others. I sure dont remember that a few days ago and even just now I was checking a timer and it showed the timer on two different channels at the same time. That sure wasnt there when we made the timer last week.

Maybe it isn't a problem but its kinda weird.

·
Registered
810 Posts
d_source,

I'm not sure there is any advantage to whitelisting a hardwired device on your local network. This may be confusing the DLink router if it is assuming whitelisted addresses are wireless. You may want to start by removing the 630 MAC address from the whitelist and see what happens. Or, as SD 630 Support alluded to, perhaps you can just temporarily toggle MAC address filtering off on the DLink.

The log entries may or may not relate to the 630 getting on the network. They appear to indicate that the router has provided a lease to the 630 but is not allowing a TCP handshake between the Shaw Vod server and the 630. Port 4692 is an assigned port, and not part of a dynamic range, so you could perhaps open that port on your router and forward it to the 630. Does the 15.100 address correspond with the 630 MAC address in the Dhcp log on the router?

Like a couple of others have already said, I fired VOD up on my 630 at home with Shaw Internet once, looked at the ugly interface and gave up.

I'll try it again now that I am on a different network and see if I have any similar problems to what you are seeing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
versys, your system was downloading the software and you killed the download. Pretty much the same as pulling the plug when installing something on your computer. There is no way (as far as I know) to re-load manually; wait overnight and see if it takes it again.

Otherwise, perhaps mail it back to someone in Canada and call SD?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Plugged my 630 into my CCI Wireless network this morning, it had no problem connecting to the Shaw VOD server.

Successfully ran the internal speed test, says I don't have sufficient speed for either SD or HD...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Mine said the same thing, although it still played "Bob the Builder".
I can stream Netflix HD with no issues, so I have no idea why they put this there. Why not a Yes/No and proceed accordingly?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I was watching tv last night -no issues (went to bed around 11:30PM), and I guess they pushed this update to my receiver. grrr when I woke up to let the dog out all I saw was the - (horizontal middle LEDs of the 8) going left to right and back. I let it go, came back about 30 mins later, still the same. Reboot, cold boot, with/without coax plugged, power bar/no power bar, different outlet. Just comes back to the same. Anyone know how can I reload the software? The issue is that I don't live in Canada (or the US), they can't send a tech to help and I can't RMA. I have a completely legit monthly account (well except I don't live in Canada).

Anyone know how I could recover this? Can I plug into the serial see the boot, etc. etc. Load with a USB key on boot?
I think if you call, they can target your receiver for the download even if you already received it. Then you can force the download as per the first post in this thread. Are you sure you actually have the new software installed? I've had situations where the software didn't load properly and it was still sitting waiting for the download once the receiver re-started itself. But I'm presuming you checked that.

·
Registered
764 Posts
my modem is at 4.00 at the internet central the receiver detect it to be at 2.0 mbps i can play SD video streams but not HD
while i'm doing a speed test on a computer my connection is at 3.52 mbps so i think shaw should ping their receivers on a closer server

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Never got the download yet, wait for it I guess, I suppose you can reset your receiver to factory settings to force a download but seems extreme

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried that, it appears that it doesn't boot far enough for them to get to it. They say that the update is done around night (2am), I rebooted the thing at 7am, so it should have finished (the download) and if it didn't; it probably wasn't going to.

I've plugged it in and left it.. a full day, still doesn't get any further.

I just wanted to see if anyone knew the tech secret that SD would do with my 630 that I would exchange to get it back up and running

·
Registered
26 Posts
Anybody have any idea how long it takes for the guide to repopulate after the update? Been waiting for just over 15 minutes and guide shows "No Data".

·
Registered
629 Posts
d_source,

I'm not sure there is any advantage to whitelisting a hardwired device on your local network. This may be confusing the DLink router if it is assuming whitelisted addresses are wireless. You may want to start by removing the 630 MAC address from the whitelist and see what happens. Or, as SD 630 Support alluded to, perhaps you can just temporarily toggle MAC address filtering off on the DLink.

The log entries may or may not relate to the 630 getting on the network. They appear to indicate that the router has provided a lease to the 630 but is not allowing a TCP handshake between the Shaw Vod server and the 630. Port 4692 is an assigned port, and not part of a dynamic range, so you could perhaps open that port on your router and forward it to the 630. Does the 15.100 address correspond with the 630 MAC address in the Dhcp log on the router?

Like a couple of others have already said, I fired VOD up on my 630 at home with Shaw Internet once, looked at the ugly interface and gave up.

I'll try it again now that I am on a different network and see if I have any similar problems to what you are seeing.
Here is my set up at home. I have voip and internet through distributel. Modem is connected to a cisco router which handles the voip service. My dlink wireless router is connected to the cisco router. Cisco DHCP sets the dlink router address to 15.100.

Reason i've kept the dlink router is b/c i've had it for a long time. It's set up as i like (don't want to have to redo it all on the cisco router) and it's and N router versus the G cisco router. I doubt the cisco router can send signals into my backyard from the basement like the dlink does.

I whitelisted the mac address after trying (and not succeeding) with it not whitelisted. My other 630 got the update today. It's not working either but i fear a different issue there like the existing cable not working.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I still don't have a complete picture of the setup, but is the DLink on a different subnet than the Cisco?

Perhaps starting a new thread in the home computing forum would be best as this is not a 630 problem per se.

Begin with a complete description of the current configuration, including model numbers of all equipment, how devices are physically wired to each other, router(s) doing NAT, routers supplying DHCP, routers running wireless, any port forwarding currently configured... whole meal deal.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I tried that, it appears that it doesn't boot far enough for them to get to it. They say that the update is done around night (2am), I rebooted the thing at 7am, so it should have finished (the download) and if it didn't; it probably wasn't going to.

I've plugged it in and left it.. a full day, still doesn't get any further.

I just wanted to see if anyone knew the tech secret that SD would do with my 630 that I would exchange to get it back up and running
I'm a little unclear as to what the problem is -- are you saying your receiver is in some kind of limbo between the old software and the update? Where it won't let you go back to where you were, but it won't go forward either? And that you tried a factory reset with the assistance of tech support but it didn't work and stayed in that limbo?

If that's the case, then my advice would be to contact tech support again and insist that they forward you to technical escalation. Those guys know everything about these receivers and if there's anything that can be done, they'll know what it is. You might speak to a tech support person who says something like "well, they can't tell you anything that I don't know" or something similar. That's simply not the case, so don't be fooled by that. They're sort of like a "secret society" of techy know-it-alls. You might have to get a bit pushy to get transferred over to them. But keep pushing.

The one cautionary note is that, since they're such know-it-alls and basically worship the 630, they will not except under the most extreme of circumstances accept the possibility that anything might be wrong with the receiver that cannot be fixed. Meaning if you're problem is that you have a lemon, getting them to accept that and give you a replacement might be difficult.

But if you want to get this one fixed, get on to technical escalation.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Video Not On Demand?!

Yet another Shaw/Motorola SNAFU is rolled out...

My 630 updated yesterday. It's obvious that this was a poorly thought out and even more poorly implemented feature. Burying VOD under two levels of menus is asinine. Finding programs is tedious, requiring the user to wade through dozens of unavailable programs to find one that is. Why wasn't this integrated into the guide? That's where people look for programming, not buried under layers of arcane menus.

In addition, it doesn't work. I can see the programming and descriptions but the programming does not play when selected. The internet connection shows up as almost 8Mbps top speed so that isn't the issue.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have connected my 630 to my network and the receiver says I'm online, but I keep getting an error message. Something like, "can't reach the Shaw Direct servers". I had VOD working fine, but then this afternoon I tried to watch something and it wasn't working anymore.

I rebooted my modem, router and receiver several times. It says I'm online, but I can't get anything to work. Any help would be much appreciated.

61 - 80 of 286 Posts