Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting June 6, the software on all Shaw Direct 6XX receivers (HDDSR 600, HDDSR 605, and HDPVR 630) will be updated from Current Version 06.22 to 07.33.

When will I receive the update?
The upgrade will be deployed gradually starting June 6. When you see a “Target Version” on line I of System Status (OPTIONS 4-7), your receiver will be upgraded automatically around 2:10AM local time. The upgrade will occur regardless of whether the receiver is left on or off and should take less than an hour to complete. If you like, you can start the download manually by selecting "Start Download" in OPTIONS 4-7.

If your receiver has not been targeted, it is not possible to force the update. All units will be targeted and upgraded over the coming weeks.

Will all my recordings and settings migrate to the new version?
Yes, as long as you are coming from 06.22.

What's new in this version?
The overall look/feel of the system is unchanged with this version. 07.33 contains a variety of minor updates and enhancements, along with enabling set-top Video On Demand, delivered via your high-speed internet connection. Many of the enhancements have been suggested by our customers and staff!

Other highlights include:
  • Recurring Auto-tunes - Manual Timer functionality now includes the ability to set a recurring (repeating) auto-tune timer. Channel, duration, and frequency can all be adjusted to automatically tune to your favourite program. Access via MENU --> Reminders --> Auto-tune (HDDSR) or MENU --> PVR --> Manual Timer (HDPVR).
  • Note: The entire duration is considered when setting manual auto-tunes and will create conflicts. Priority can be adjusted accordingly depending on your preferences.​
  • Faster Guide, Search, and PVR List Performance - Optimizations have been made and Guide and PVR List should now be noticeably faster to load and navigate.
  • Info Screen Enhancements - Long episode titles will now wrap to the next line; premiere/finale information is displayed on the "More Info" tab; and the HDTV icon has been shortened to HD.
  • HDPVR 630 Enhancements, including - Programs older than 30 days now list the month instead of the day in the PVR List; an hourglass icon now appears in the Guide when scheduling one-time recordings via the REC button; more consistent trickplay performance during recording playback.
  • Guide Loading/Guide Backup Changes - HDDSR units now maintain a 24-hour mini-backup of the Guide. Full data will still reload in <30 minutes following a reset or flush. HDPVR units will no longer display the "Loading" message when the Guide is being backed up.
  • Caller ID - Changes have been made to Caller ID which should yield more consistent performance in "marginal" locations with weak ring voltage or lots of noise on the line.
More details will be provided on Shaw Direct On Demand in the coming days!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Not a very exciting update. The only way I'm wiring up my house with more Cat-5 is if there's a whole home PVR.

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
Starting June 6, the software on all Shaw Direct 6XX receivers (HDDSR 600, HDDSR 605, and HDPVR 630)
Will this also be the firmware on the new Shaw Direct PVR coming later this year?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have 2 X 630, 1 605, and 1 600 in my house...seems only one of the 630's updated so far...I only point this out to show that it clearly doesnt go by account.....

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hi Hugh-

You cant throw out "new Shaw Direct reciever" like that without some more breadcrumbs! :)

Are you referring to knowledge of the rumoured 'whole home' receiver? Does that mean they have given up on linking the 630's to the 600's?

Yikes- another new box to buy....

·
Registered
132 Posts
one tech agent said, 2 background fixes in this latest firmware update address the issue that recordings older than 6 months will no longer cause issues??... Also, when the harddrive reaches 70% or more full, it will no longer cause playback/recording problems??
Anyway thats what I was told...

has anyone else noticed that the guide only displays 12 days in advance instead of the advertised 14 days ahead...

·
Registered
38 Posts
6xx softwear update

I hope ,or should I say my wife, hopes that the update will include a way to deleate a group of recorded programs rather then having to do them individually. She has a habit of not deleating a program after watching it so when she finally gets around to doing it, it takes a little time.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
has anyone else noticed that the guide only displays 12 days in advance instead of the advertised 14 days ahead...
Hi Billy34,

Looking at the Guide today, I see data for:

Thursday June 7 (Day 1)
Friday June 8 (Day 2)
Saturday June 9 (Day 3)
Sunday June 10 (Day 4)
Monday June 11 (Day 5)
Tuesday June 12 (Day 6)
Wednesday June 13 (Day 7)
Thursday June 14 (Day 8)
Friday June 15 (Day 9)
Saturday June 16 (Day 10)
Sunday June 17 (Day 11)
Monday June 18 (Day 12)
Tuesday June 19 (Day 13)
Wednesday June 20 (Day 14)

Data ends at 6:00pm MT as expected on the 14th day (June 20). Is this what you're seeing right now?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope ,or should I say my wife, hopes that the update will include a way to deleate a group of recorded programs rather then having to do them individually. She has a habit of not deleating a program after watching it so when she finally gets around to doing it, it takes a little time.
Not in 07.33, but we're looking at options like this in the future!

As always, the PVR is still self managing and will automatically delete the oldest unprotected recordings, so you'll never miss out on new stuff being recorded.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The new VOD feature works. I haven't watched anything in HD. The SD quality is about the same as online. Like the online website content is lacking. Those in the east are shut out of HBO content since they still don't have a deal with Astral.
I tried it out and it wont give me the option to watch HD...saying my internet is too slow apparently...and despite the fact that I use Netflix and have no problems watching HD content with that

·
Registered
227 Posts
What about the HD guide that my latest bill mentions?
Can't remember what my bill said, but on the SD website, it says "coming this spring, VOD", and then "coming this fall - New HD guide and PVR expander"......so I'm gonna say the new HD guide will come this fall (ish).

·
Registered
478 Posts
I am underwhelmed with this update. Forced it yesterday and, outside of a feature I'll never use, no difference in anything.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Agreed. I don't notice that the guide or pvr list is any faster as is supposed to be the case. VOD via the receiver is kinda cool I guess, but at the same time I'll never use it, cause there is no way, in today's day and age, that I'll be running a cable from my router to my receiver(s). Laptop, and PS3 both run wireless so no need to bust out the old cables.

·
Registered
468 Posts
^^^ See post #1

You have to wait until your unit is targetted, and then hit 'download' now. It took about 25 mins on my 605 last night. Still waiting for the 630 to be aimed at...

·
Registered
5 Posts
i got the VOD option now after update, but can not get the 630 to see my network :(
Tested cable, works on Laptop and Blu-Ray, just not on the 630. Ideas? I would really love to get the VOD working

1 - 20 of 286 Posts